Your Picking Style Preference
MattE
May 30 2008, 12:38 AM
GMC:er
Hello again Marcus!

My questions today concern your picking style (how you hold the pick), and neoclassical scale study :]
I was curious about your particular picking style. This is my pick method:

Where my index finger is curled inward and my thumb presses the pick against the side of my index finger

With this particular handle, I use my wrist as the main method of picking. It can get tiresome, and sometimes uncomfortable, forcing me to put the guitar down

Then there is this method:

Where the pick is held between the bottom end of the thumb and index finger

This picking style for me is unusual, more difficult to play pinch harmonics, and not as fast, given I havent touched this technique until recently when it was introduced to me

There's also the Yngwie Malmsteen style, which I'm not really sure how different or similar it is to my two examples.

How do you prefer to play?

And finally, neoclassical scale theory! biggrin.gif

I have a problem with scale theory in general. I do not phrase as much as I should, it's more up and down than variant, if that makes sense. Not sure how to approach solving that. (my playing becomes rather boring after a bit)

But my question with scale theory is what scales do you suggest I learn that would best incorporate that neoclassical tone? I've heard the Harmonic Minor and Minor scales are good, any others?

And finally....my last question, I swear tongue.gif
The tutorial I found here in the forum on how to scallop a fretboard was pretty easy!
But...
I'm not quite sure what depth to do each scallop
I pretty much fancy the same type you do, close at the top, but deep at the higher frets
What depth did you use on your white strat?

Thank you very much :]
-MattE

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
May 30 2008, 08:54 AM
Instructor
Hello MattE smile.gif

The picking style is personal preference/what feels most natural to you. So it’s hard to give a good advise on this.

However, since you sometimes get tired and feel uncomfortable with the style you use today. I think that’s a sign that you should try to find another way of holding the pick. Well, it’s not so much about how you hold the pick. It’s more about how relaxed you are when you hold it, and maybe you can be more relaxed with another style?

Anyway, my picking style is the one on the second picture. It never feels uncomfortable and I can play for hours without getting tired. So give it some times to see if it’s the right way for you as well. I understand the frustration in learning pinch harmonics from scratch again, but it’s worth it if you find your perfect picking style! smile.gif

About the neoclassical scales.
The most common scale used in the “baroque like” Neoclassical style, is harmonic minor. To learn about phrasing you could listen to some classical music (check out Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Vivaldi, to name a few) and listen to how they do it. Then “steal” their ideas as much as you want! After a while you’ll find it much easier to make your own neoclassical melodies and phrases.

I not sure what scallop-depth there is on my neck, but my rule of thumb is that I don’t scallop it so deep that I can’t feel the neck at all. I want to feel it, but not so much that there’s a resistance when I do bends. So I recommend you to first make a small scallop, and then do a bit more if you think you need it deeper.

-Marcus

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
MattE
May 31 2008, 05:12 AM
Hello Marcus,

Thank you very much for your advice! smile.gif
I'm not sure how I'm going to go about the scalloping, but I'm sure something will work. Best to start on an old useless piece ;]

And I will definately give that picking style and scale practice a good bit of practice to see if the picking style works for me, and I increase my scale methodology tongue.gif

Thanks again!

-MattEdge

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
May 31 2008, 07:08 AM
Instructor
Great! Keep me updated on your progress smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
MattE
Jun 8 2008, 10:06 PM
Progress Update:

I've found that I will need quite a bit of experimentation to find the right method for me. It's becoming increasingly difficult to find a picking style that I can pick for a good length of time and not wear myself out

Difficult, but will be worth the effort!

And as a side note, I ordered a fully scalloped maple neck about a week ago. Should be arriving soon! So expect a ton of question reguarding them! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Jun 9 2008, 06:55 AM
Instructor
Thanks for the update! smile.gif

It's perfectly ok to experiment with different pick styles, but remember to stay relaxed in your arm/hand while you do it. That's very important so keep it in mind all the time!

Congrats on the new neck! Looking forward to your questions biggrin.gif
But I think the only question you'll ask is "why didn't I get a scalloped neck earlier?" laugh.gif ... just kidding! tongue.gif I hope you'll like it! smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
MattE
Jun 19 2008, 03:46 AM
Unfortunately that isnt my only question...but it was definately one of them! laugh.gif

My other question I have right now is about a little thing I am noticing. My guitar goes out of tune a LOT quicker now. Could this be the scallop or do I need to, say, get some shaller locking tuners and a new bridge?

Also I was wondering if you had any suggestions for parts (bridges, tuners, ect) that you could recommend I get so I can get the control of tuning I would have if I had a floyd rose guitar, without actually getting a floyd...if that makes sense laugh.gif

Thanks!
-MattEdge

+Quote Post
MattE
Jun 27 2008, 05:38 AM
Ahh Marcus disappeared sad.gif

+Quote Post
Nick325
Jun 27 2008, 05:39 AM
i talked to him a few days ago and he said he was away on vacation so give him a little time

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Jun 27 2008, 08:06 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (MattE @ Jun 19 2008, 04:46 AM) *
My guitar goes out of tune a LOT quicker now. Could this be the scallop or do I need to, say, get some shaller locking tuners and a new bridge?

Sorry for the delay Matt, I've been on vacation as Nick said.

The scallop in it self don't affect the tuning, but maybe you press down the strings too hard now because you're not used to the scallop? If so the notes will go sharp. Is that the case?

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
MattE
Jun 28 2008, 06:20 AM
It's all good, I was getting worried tongue.gif

I dont have a problem with it going out of tune anymore. I bought a set of schaller locking tuners. They work miracles :]
But I actually did test it a bit, and it was the hardware that was getting loose.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 28 2008, 07:43 AM
edited: removed by fkalich himself because I was off topic. will probably ask my question later, when I can do so in a less obfuscated manner.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jun 28 2008, 10:04 AM

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Jun 28 2008, 10:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 28 2008, 08:43 AM) *
edited: removed by fkalich himself because I was off topic. will probably ask my question later, when I can do so in a less obfuscated manner.

No, it's ok fkalich. I understand your question and I'm thinking of a way to give you an answer right now. If you want you can start another thread and re-post your question. smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 28 2008, 11:25 AM
QUOTE (Marcus Lavendell @ Jun 28 2008, 04:39 AM) *
No, it's ok fkalich. I understand your question and I'm thinking of a way to give you an answer right now. If you want you can start another thread and re-post your question. smile.gif

Thanks Marcus. Great, looking forward to it, on the issue of accenting in such flurries. As contrasted with beat music. I will look for the answer here.

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Jun 28 2008, 11:52 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jun 28 2008, 12:25 PM) *
Thanks Marcus. Great, looking forward to it, on the issue of accenting in such flurries. As contrasted with beat music. I will look for the answer here.

ok smile.gif

Well, I think these licks are pretty cool because as you said, it sounds flurry. But it's hard to analyze the timing and where to accent.
My piano teacher explained to me how one can approach this. If we look as this picture (it's an impromptu by Chopin, btw).

Attached Image

We see that there's a run of 23 notes in one bar. Now, this doesn't necessarily mean that those 23 notes must be played with equal timing even though it looks that way. It's up to the player to make his own interpretation, so we are allowed to play few notes faster or slower, or as triplets, 16th notes, etc... there's no definite rule about it, as I understand it (maybe Andrew or someone else can fill in with some theoretical comments here?)
Anyway, many guitarists are not used to this. We want a steady 16th notes run, or a 3nps lick because it's so much easier to pracice slow that way. But I think this is a very cool way to get away from that! So I think the bottom line here is that there's no right or wrong way, you can play it whatever way you want... smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 28 2008, 02:47 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Marcus, since you invoked me by name - I come to your defense wink.gif

Noone, not even Chopin himself could accurately divide a bar into exactly 23 notes - that's a level of precision beyond any mortal player! So, its obvious that there is intended to be some leeway here. In addition, all the best players will alter timing slightly in characteristic ways to get a groove going - Marcus knows this of course since a lot of his solos have this kind if free timing feature, Kris does it a lot too. Its one of those things where genius is in knowing how to conctructively break the rules and end up with something that sounds really great!

In fact, if Chopin did have some particular rythmic figure in mind, he would have broken it down into triplets, 16ths or whatever.

To that I will also add that music notation, any music notation, is an attempt to pin down something living and breathing long enough for someone else to learn it. The notation itself is by its nature rigid and is just a snapshot. The task of the musician is to take that snapshot and make it live and breath again in his or her own unique way.

So what all of this means is that when Chopin writes something like that, he probably has his own way of accenting the notes and timing, but would expect anyone lese to approach it differently. He is just saying, "look, you need to fit these 23 notes in this bar somehow, make them sound cool and fast".

What you will probably find as you play something like this, is that you may break it down to practice it, but when you are proficient at it, you will move away from the precise timing into your own more fluid interpretation.

That's pretty much my opinion - feel free to disagree!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Jun 28 2008, 03:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jun 28 2008, 03:47 PM) *
He is just saying, "look, you need to fit these 23 notes in this bar somehow, make them sound cool and fast".

Perfect answer Andrew! Spot on! biggrin.gif
Thanks smile.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jun 28 2008, 06:01 PM
QUOTE (Marcus Lavendell @ Jun 28 2008, 09:23 AM) *
Perfect answer Andrew! Spot on! biggrin.gif
Thanks smile.gif

Great (also Andrew). Great lessons and this, all for $48 every six months, what a steal. I better shut up, Kris might raise prices.

I feel I learned a lot. Wonderful answers. Thanks for the effort!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:19 PM