15 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Skennington, Uploads and Discussion
skennington
Jan 28 2009, 04:32 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Hunter told me to tell you he appreciated your feedback and agreed that he is much better looking than his dad! laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 29 2009, 02:29 AM
Hey Jeff,

I'll have you up a vid here in a few. I managed to get an hour or so tonight.. smile.gif I'm still not through the lesson though and have some mistakes in what I have learned. Only about half way but felt I owe you something. Should be up shortly..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jan 29 2009, 02:58 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
When ever your ready to upload that is fine. You don't owe me anything! You owe yourself something! wink.gif

Of course uploads are the only way I can help or make the practice time you have effective. smile.gif

Can't wait man! Hit the turbo button! biggrin.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 29 2009, 03:32 AM
Here you go man, took YT forever to procees and it's a small file... Just a few word's, I know you really want to see me fretting the chords differently but the problem I'm having is this. If you watch Marcus when he goes into the sort of gallop, he is fretting the low E at the third fret with his thumb. I just can't seem to transition doing it like that. So, it has kind of got me fretting all of the chords the way I am.

Also, I know the lesson up through the harmonics part but lost it before I got there and was running out of time. Anyway, here's what I have...

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jan 29 2009, 04:10 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Steve, thanks for your upload wink.gif

Over all it sounds really great. smile.gif There are a few things I would like you to think about with your fingering which we will get to tomorrow. I know what you mean about the chords with the thumb and that is OK for now. But if you can get the main full bar chords correct that should be your goal. Solo stuff I am happy with so far. You have a really good sence of rhythm and placement which is one thing most beginners seem to struggle with.

Thanks for the upload. Your doing really well cool.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 29 2009, 03:33 PM
Thanks Jeff and looking forward to your thought's. I will try to upload some other things tonight as well for you to have a look at. smile.gif

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jan 30 2009, 03:48 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (skennington @ Jan 28 2009, 09:32 PM) *
Here you go man, took YT forever to procees and it's a small file... Just a few word's, I know you really want to see me fretting the chords differently but the problem I'm having is this. If you watch Marcus when he goes into the sort of gallop, he is fretting the low E at the third fret with his thumb. I just can't seem to transition doing it like that. So, it has kind of got me fretting all of the chords the way I am.

Also, I know the lesson up through the harmonics part but lost it before I got there and was running out of time. Anyway, here's what I have...

Hi Steve,

I wanted to give you a few extra comments on you upload. As I said before over all I think for the time you have to put in it’s good. My goal with these first few weeks was to introduce some new ideas and to correct some bad habits. This is what I am going to base these comments on.

You aren’t even trying to do the chords correct and you know that. I even expressed when I gave you this lesson as well as with your first upload that this was the reason for me choosing it and why. I am not sure why you are refusing to even try.

Go back and look at your video again. We are trying to also correct some things with your right hand, right? Things looked great till you came out of the chords at 0:44 seconds. Your picking went to mostly down strokes, your left hand went out of sync and everything started to fall apart with your timing. That is the reason we need to correct this now. You’re going to have a really hard time becoming an intermediate player with just all down strokes.

I realize you are trying to make things sound cool. But when it comes to us learning and for me to be able to hear what your playing properly I would appreciate less effects on your uploads. Look at Emirs current collab “Rock Ballad” and how he talks about the tone of the guitar. Sometimes less is more when you record your tracks. I am not saying it sounds bad, but it makes it difficult to accurately hear what your playing and harder to give you good advise.

We are in our final week bro! I hope you can work on these corrections and have made some progress with Muris’s lesson as well. I would like to see an upload on them when you can.

Thanks for the upload and I hope you will find these comment helpful smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 30 2009, 02:53 PM
Thanks man for your honest opinion. Means a lot. smile.gif I will upload a new take with less effects so you can hear the notes better. Trust me, I am working on trying to break the picking habit for sure. It's just so easy while in the moment to revert back to all down stroke's. I'm thinking in my mind, "up down up down" but my hand seems to have a mind of it's own sometimes. Maybe you could suggest an exercise at a slower tempo to help me work on this.

As far as the chords go, I'm a bit confused on what you are saying here. These shapes look to me like regular power chords. I'm playing them barred with ring finger only because the thumb think is throwing me off. Are you saying I should still be using ring and pinky for the 2nd and third notes of the shape?

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jan 31 2009, 02:31 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks man for your honest opinion. Means a lot. smile.gif I will upload a new take with less effects so you can hear the notes better. Trust me, I am working on trying to break the picking habit for sure. It's just so easy while in the moment to revert back to all down stroke's. I'm thinking in my mind, "up down up down" but my hand seems to have a mind of it's own sometimes. Maybe you could suggest an exercise at a slower tempo to help me work on this.

Thanks for understanding my points. smile.gif I know your trying really hard to break this habit and I will find you an exercise to work on. It is easy to revert back to bad habits when you step out of your comfort zone. I have been through this myself with several things and have a few more to work on, that's for sure. wink.gif

As far as the chords go, I'm a bit confused on what you are saying here. These shapes look to me like regular power chords. I'm playing them barred with ring finger only because the thumb think is throwing me off. Are you saying I should still be using ring and pinky for the 2nd and third notes of the shape?

I am not talking about the chords with the thumb so lets just forget about those for right now. You are just playing all standard 2 finger power chords for everything (1st and 4th finger). Go back and look at the main video. At point 0:15 he uses 3 finger bard chord (1st, 3rd and 4th finger). Also at 0:28. That shape is what I am talking about. It is the same shape as the F chord (minus the second finger because that makes it a major) from Mirus's lesson. I just want your hand to get use to that shape and moving it around. Hope that helps clear that up. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 31 2009, 04:40 AM
name='UncleSkillet' date='Jan 30 2009, 08:31 PM' post='329775']
I know your trying really hard to break this habit and I will find you an exercise to work on.

Cool! smile.gif

You are just playing all standard 2 finger power chords for everything (1st and 4th finger). Go back and look at the main video.

Yes, but I'm playing all three note's, barring the second and third with my pinky.

At point 0:15 he uses 3 finger bard chord (1st, 3rd and 4th finger). Also at 0:28. That shape is what I am talking about. It is the same shape as the F chord (minus the second finger because that makes it a major)

How is that the same shape?

At 15 secs this is what he is playing.... Sorry for being difficult, just want to make sure I'm understanding bro! smile.gif

D ||--6-------------8----|-------3--------3----|
A ||--6-------------8----|-------3--------3----|
E ||--4-------------6----|-------1--------1----|

This post has been edited by skennington: Jan 31 2009, 04:43 AM

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jan 31 2009, 05:21 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Yes, but I'm playing all three note's, barring the second and third with my pinky.

That is what I am suggesting you don't do. Try and use 3 fingers.

At 15 secs this is what he is playing.... Sorry for being difficult, just want to make sure I'm understanding bro! smile.gif

D ||--6-------------8----|-------3--------3----|
A ||--6-------------8----|-------3--------3----|
E ||--4-------------6----|-------1--------1----|

laugh.gif It took me a minute because this tab looks weird. Lets take the 1st line of notes running vertical. You have the 'E' 'A' 'D' strings. The notes for the chord are 4th fret on 'E' string (use 1st finger), 6th fret on the 'A' string (use your ring finger) and 6th fret on the 'D' string (use your pinky or 4th finger).

Does that help at all? I really need a web cam and am going to buy one (with my tax return).

What you are playing in your video doesn't sound wrong and to play it that way (barring the 2 notes with your pinky) isn't a good technic. I wanted you to use the fingering I pointed out above because you are getting ready to fall into another bad habit. Marcus made the lesson and is playing this fingering for a reason. I am not making this up or trying to change his lesson in any way. Just try it and trust me bro. cool.gif smile.gif

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Jan 31 2009, 05:33 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 31 2009, 06:00 AM
Gotcha man! wink.gif Another bad habit is not what I want, I'm on it first thing in the morning! smile.gif

+Quote Post
skennington
Feb 1 2009, 02:02 AM
Another take on the S&A. Still st 50bpm and don't sound much better with limited practice but it feels better. smile.gif I actually came close to hitting the 2nd F# laugh.gif Gonna work more on it tonight when my wife gets home from work. Sorry, I noticed my left hand is a bit out of the screen.. sad.gif

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 1 2009, 02:41 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Yeah man!!!! You have made some great progress with this since your last upload. Go back and look at it.

Sounds good (clean) and you look more comfortable with the chords. You didn't get the 'F' chord the first time but you nailed it on the second one with the up stokes. Well done! smile.gif biggrin.gif You used the correct fingering for it also (you got the pinky down).

Stay at 50bpm. You just about got it. When you can play it smoother everything will just click on like a light bulb and you will be at 100bpm before you know it. wink.gif

This is great!

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Feb 1 2009, 03:12 AM
WOW, thanks man.. smile.gif I don't hear the progress, but feel it in my hands if that makes sense. I'll go back and have a look at the first upload. My muscle memory in my fingers seem to be getting better which I'm thrilled about. cool.gif

I'll try and post another take of this one and the BS lesson tomorrow.

Thanks again for your encouragement Jeff, I know it don't show, but I have really taken a lot in since we started this! smile.gif

80's Metal,
Steve

This post has been edited by skennington: Feb 1 2009, 03:12 AM

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 1 2009, 03:33 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
My muscle memory in my fingers seem to be getting better which I'm thrilled about.

I can see that. This is going to make a big difference in your playing. I am very excited also smile.gif

Get your uploads in before the big game wink.gif and you better not be routing for Pittsburgh. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Feb 1 2009, 03:34 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Feb 1 2009, 03:59 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Jan 31 2009, 09:33 PM) *
and you better not be routing for Pittsburgh. laugh.gif

laugh.gif It's a coin toss for me. On one hand, Kurt Warner is such a stand up athlete and Arizona has defeated the odds to this point, on the other, the Steelers just have that will to win and Troy Polamolu is outstanding! We'll see...

+Quote Post
skennington
Feb 2 2009, 12:36 AM
Hey man,

Got a couple of vid's for you to watch at half time. The first is another take on Marcus' lesson. It 's a bit sloppy but I tried to focus on fretting the way you want me to and also alternate picking. I also backed off the effects a bit too.. tongue.gif I aslso went down to 130bpm to help me get more comfortable fretting this way. I feel the bad habit starting to release itself from me. smile.gif

The second is another take on the S&A lesson by Murris. Still not perfect and some dead notes in their but I feel it's getting better. smile.gif

First half of the BS Lesson by Marcus Siepen

S&A by Muris Varajic @ 50bpm

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Feb 2 2009, 09:10 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Steve, I have to tell you that these takes look really good. The BS lesson has a few timing issues and that’s really it. This could be fixed by just practicing the lesson more, but I think we have gotten what we need out of it and it is time to move on.

Same thing with the second take on Muris's lesson. You just need to practice it some more and you will get to 100bpm before you know it.

I think you have made some great progress in the short time we have been working together. Here is how I would like us to move forward. Lets keep working with Muris's lesson and add two more exercises. This is going to give you I well round practice routine. I am figuring that maybe you have 1 hour a day to practice so lets break it down like this.

15 minutes with https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu.../pop-strumming/ This will be a good warm up for your right hand.

15 minutes with Muris's lesson

30 minutes with https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...inger-work-out/ This will get your fingers moving and build strength. Also you'll notice it's all alternate picking and will help to get your hands working together. Start slow and learn a small section first. Once you memorized the pattern he is using then add another section and so on. The goal is to learn the lesson and be able to play it comfortable at 60bpm.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Edit: typo

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Feb 3 2009, 12:47 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Feb 2 2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks man, just had a look at the lessons and like your recommendations. I'll get started on the practice schedule tonight. smile.gif

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:27 PM