2 Pages V  < 1 2  
How To Improve Sound Of Inexpensive Guitar?, Or budget way to sound pro!
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 4 2012, 09:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (teodorom @ Oct 4 2012, 07:20 PM) *
How can one judge the quality of the wood ?
I have a Washburn HB-35 (Made in China) and I'm wondering if changing pickups, the wiring and the passive components can improve (how much ?) the sound quality. I hope that in some future my playing will improve enough to understand the difference.
Thanks
Teodoro Marinucci

Howdy man! Can you find the year out and what sort of price range would this model fit into?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
korblitz
Oct 4 2012, 10:12 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
It's so weird that no one is talking about amps.

You can have an amazing guitar(Jeff Loomis Schecter Signature model) and plug it into a ( 100$ Solid state amp) and you'll be surprised and say...what a crappy guitar.

You plug a Squire, Epiphone, some Ibanez's (sub-par guitars) into a, let's say (Blackstar HT-5), and you go...whoa what and amazing guitar.

I think there's a limit to High End guitar, and those guitars that cost more than 2k$ have little extras that do not affect in anyway the sound of a guitar...special binding, logo name, made to order guitars, different finishes, exotic woods.

I don't see or hear the why woods make such a radical impact on the instrument. I'm pretty sure pickups make the most radical change on a guitar....woods on a electric guitar, I don't think so.

I'm talking about Electric guitars and not Acoustic guitars....

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
teodorom
Oct 4 2012, 10:17 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 4 2012, 08:43 PM) *
Howdy man! Can you find the year out and what sort of price range would this model fit into?

Too recent, I guess. I bought it two years ago. It's serial numer (DC10070007) starts with "10" so i could be really of the year 2010.
Washburn report a list price of 1.199$ (even if I paid it quite the half of that price: 380€).
Thanks
Teodoro Marinucci

This post has been edited by teodorom: Oct 4 2012, 10:18 PM

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 5 2012, 07:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (teodorom @ Oct 4 2012, 07:20 PM) *
How can one judge the quality of the wood ?
I have a Washburn HB-35 (Made in China) and I'm wondering if changing pickups, the wiring and the passive components can improve (how much ?) the sound quality. I hope that in some future my playing will improve enough to understand the difference.
Thanks
Teodoro Marinucci

It will help you out! Just make sure that you are getting what you are hoping for!
Most common pickups magnets are Ceramic and Alnico
you will get a very treble sound with ceramic and warm blues tone with alnico!
Try them both! If you would like I can do a research for you!
Let me know!

+Quote Post
teodorom
Oct 5 2012, 09:32 AM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Oct 5 2012, 06:42 AM) *
It will help you out! Just make sure that you are getting what you are hoping for!
Most common pickups magnets are Ceramic and Alnico
you will get a very treble sound with ceramic and warm blues tone with alnico!
Try them both! If you would like I can do a research for you!
Let me know!

The problem with a hollowbody is that replacing a pickup is an expensive task: the "f holes", you know ...
I wanted to imitate what Washburn had done with the new HB-35 HotRod. You can have it with a pair of Phat Cats, or with a Seymour-Duncan® Jazz Bridge, and a Seymour-Duncan® ’59 in the neck (in my opinion it should be the reverse).
Or I could imitate the "real one", the Gibson ES-335, and put a pair of "Classic '57".
The guitar I would like is a versatile one, good for blues but also for jazz.
What do you think ?

This post has been edited by teodorom: Oct 5 2012, 09:57 AM

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 8 2012, 12:05 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (teodorom @ Oct 5 2012, 08:32 AM) *
The problem with a hollowbody is that replacing a pickup is an expensive task: the "f holes", you know ...
I wanted to imitate what Washburn had done with the new HB-35 HotRod. You can have it with a pair of Phat Cats, or with a Seymour-Duncan® Jazz Bridge, and a Seymour-Duncan® ’59 in the neck (in my opinion it should be the reverse).
Or I could imitate the "real one", the Gibson ES-335, and put a pair of "Classic '57".
The guitar I would like is a versatile one, good for blues but also for jazz.
What do you think ?

I would say if you are going for it just go all the way! Imitation of 335 would be amazing! smile.gif
You can get pickups used for cheaper and will get the real deal check out ebay or amazon I am sure there are a lot available!
Also is it a neck through or bolt on?

+Quote Post
wollace03
Oct 8 2012, 07:23 AM
I am absolutely no expert when it comes to woods and maintaining guitars (have a friend who works as a guitar repair and so he always does this kind of things for me).
but I beleive, that there are good reasonable priced instruments that with a little help can sound awesome.
I bought a squier tele affinity just to have a tele guitar - price was about 180$. changed nothing, love the guitar and even played some gigs with the guitar although I had to tune it often).
then a friend of my father (a country player) sold me three guitars for 240$ - a washburn western guitar, a washburn travel guitar and a cheri telecaster - all of them heavily played.
the cheri never was an expensive guitar but it is a really heavy beast that weighs a lot. I took it to my friend and he undertook the guitar a whole maintainance program (rewireing, adjusting the tuners, changed the knobs,..) and the result was mindblowing. it is now my favorite guitar for certain songs. the sound is amazing and really what I was looking for. it now is worth about 400-500$ (not an expensive instrument!) the squier now hangs on the wall and I only use the guitar for some practises.

the bottom line:
I think if the cheap instrument has some quality in it, you can get a really, really great insrument with some minor adjustments. but I guess you need a little luck cause not all cheap instruments turn out to be that good.

I always dream of really expensve guitars but never played one cause I always thought that I do not play that good so that I will really earn such a good instrument...
and thanx to alex for this thread cause I think if you have a cheap but good guitar then do something with it and play it.........

+Quote Post
teodorom
Oct 8 2012, 10:05 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Oct 7 2012, 11:05 PM) *
I would say if you are going for it just go all the way! Imitation of 335 would be amazing! smile.gif
You can get pickups used for cheaper and will get the real deal check out ebay or amazon I am sure there are a lot available!
Also is it a neck through or bolt on?

Neck through (set in), that is no bolts !

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Oct 10 2012, 08:05 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (wollace03 @ Oct 8 2012, 06:23 AM) *
I am absolutely no expert when it comes to woods and maintaining guitars (have a friend who works as a guitar repair and so he always does this kind of things for me).
but I beleive, that there are good reasonable priced instruments that with a little help can sound awesome.
I bought a squier tele affinity just to have a tele guitar - price was about 180$. changed nothing, love the guitar and even played some gigs with the guitar although I had to tune it often).
then a friend of my father (a country player) sold me three guitars for 240$ - a washburn western guitar, a washburn travel guitar and a cheri telecaster - all of them heavily played.
the cheri never was an expensive guitar but it is a really heavy beast that weighs a lot. I took it to my friend and he undertook the guitar a whole maintainance program (rewireing, adjusting the tuners, changed the knobs,..) and the result was mindblowing. it is now my favorite guitar for certain songs. the sound is amazing and really what I was looking for. it now is worth about 400-500$ (not an expensive instrument!) the squier now hangs on the wall and I only use the guitar for some practises.

the bottom line:
I think if the cheap instrument has some quality in it, you can get a really, really great insrument with some minor adjustments. but I guess you need a little luck cause not all cheap instruments turn out to be that good.

I always dream of really expensve guitars but never played one cause I always thought that I do not play that good so that I will really earn such a good instrument...
and thanx to alex for this thread cause I think if you have a cheap but good guitar then do something with it and play it.........

You are absolutely correct! Even cheap guitar can sound great with a right tune up! smile.gif
A friend of mine found a mexican strat by the dumpster a few weeks ago and he got it to sound amazing it needed some neck adjustments and I guess someone didn't wanna do it and just trow it away! Which is crazy! smile.gif

QUOTE (teodorom @ Oct 8 2012, 09:05 PM) *
Neck through (set in), that is no bolts !

Than you can definitely get close to 335 sound! smile.gif I am looking forward to hear results!!!! It is exciting!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:09 PM