Ballad Songwriting
Nazgul
Sep 17 2008, 06:36 PM
GMC:er
Hi there!

I have got a question about about writing a ballad: Is there any structure of how to make a ballad, like Intro, Vers, Refrain ... ? I know a good ballad can be worked out with lots of tries, I just want to know if there are any "advices", how ballads are structured normally.

Thanks for your help" smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Chuck Norris rules!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 8)
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 17 2008, 06:52 PM
Instructor
It is good to have a nice lyrics, that will corelate to the feeling of the song, and a nice vocal melody. There isn't any rule how to make a ballad IMO, just go with your feelings. I would definitely put some soft chordal voicings in ballad, and possibly some lite chorus effect as well to give it more dimension.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kjutte
Sep 17 2008, 07:49 PM
QUOTE (Nazgul @ Sep 17 2008, 07:36 PM) *
Hi there!

I have got a question about about writing a ballad: Is there any structure of how to make a ballad, like Intro, Vers, Refrain ... ? I know a good ballad can be worked out with lots of tries, I just want to know if there are any "advices", how ballads are structured normally.

Well, a calm time signature and some nice chords. Bass line plays a great role too.

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Sep 18 2008, 11:35 AM
Singing Instructor
Well it is not a rule,but,minor key and slower tempo can be some parts of a definition.And there are different ballads,Cemetery Gates is ballad,but not in relation to James Blunt smile.gif,if you see what I mean.Love lyrics are most of time the subject in this songs,so there is a good start there.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 19 2008, 10:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nazgul @ Sep 17 2008, 07:36 PM) *
Hi there!

Hey Nazgul,

I would recommend doing following things

1) Make a list of your 10 favorite ballads (at least)
2) Listen to them and analyze them
3) Sketch out the arrangement for each of them (Intro 8 bars drums, Verse 16 bars , Chorus 8 bars etc)
4) Figure out the harmony in them
5) Learn the melody and find its relation to harmony

After you have done this little project you will have many options for creating ballads.
Remember , you don't have to do 10 songs right away , do one and if that goes well do another one etc.

Hope I helped you out a bit.

Thanks smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 19 2008, 10:53 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 19 2008, 11:13 AM) *
Hey Nazgul,

I would recommend doing following things

1) Make a list of your 10 favorite ballads (at least)
2) Listen to them and analyze them
3) Sketch out the arrangement for each of them (Intro 8 bars drums, Verse 16 bars , Chorus 8 bars etc)
4) Figure out the harmony in them
5) Learn the melody and find its relation to harmony

After you have done this little project you will have many options for creating ballads.
Remember , you don't have to do 10 songs right away , do one and if that goes well do another one etc.

Hope I helped you out a bit.

Thanks smile.gif

That's a great idea smile.gif
I think it's very beneficial to do this as you can get a pretty good understanding of how ballads are made smile.gif
Thanks man!

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Sep 19 2008, 12:29 PM
Another thing about ballad lyrics that might help you write, is try to write something from the heart. Sure we can all piece together some random lines and have some cheesy lyrics, but In the end.... People relate to whats from the heart. Whether thats good or evil. So my advice would be, listen to some Ballad songs that you like. Read the lyrics, get in touch with the artist, then try to understand where all that raw emotion is coming from. Then maybe you can take yourself back to a time where you felt very emotional and start writing and composing some Amazing Ballads smile.gif

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Sep 19 2008, 12:36 PM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Sep 19 2008, 01:29 PM) *
Another thing about ballad lyrics that might help you write, is try to write something from the heart. Sure we can all piece together some random lines and have some cheesy lyrics, but In the end.... People relate to whats from the heart. Whether thats good or evil. So my advice would be, listen to some Ballad songs that you like. Read the lyrics, get in touch with the artist, then try to understand where all that raw emotion is coming from. Then maybe you can take yourself back to a time where you felt very emotional and start writing and composing some Amazing Ballads smile.gif

I agree,one of the most important things is saying the story of the song.Good way to extract words from the heart is form me the best when I emagine the story in my head,like a movie.And then I just set markers(begininng,middle,end)and say what I feel.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Nazgul
Sep 19 2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks for your help! smile.gif I think I'll take all the advice.

--------------------
Chuck Norris rules!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:57 PM