Practice For Success
DarkWaveRiffer
Apr 6 2012, 05:48 PM
GMC:er
I think we have good coverage on practice area. I would like to open this thread on the process of practice.
Some of my thoughts, there is practicing to get better, and then there is playing your guitar within your known ability, and not making marked improvements.

Practice should be focused.
Concepts should be clear, and concise.
Exercises should not be long, to allow you to focus on the technique, lick, scale, and get as many repititions in as possible.
Focus on your trouble spots.
Repitition, slow, good timing (my weakness), good technique will pay off to faster progress, and speed.
timely feedback is important to make adjustments. Using backing tracks, metronome, or videos to play with help attune, and correct as you go. Playing without these will hinder your progress.
Getting daily feedback from instructors is crucial.
Also practicing consistenly. Set aside some time every day to practice. Have goals of what you want to accomplish.Long term, and short term.
Utilize software that can slow down songs, rip audio from video so you can turn them into practice loops.

I use Converterlite, and Songsurgeon. Both are free to download, but the SongSurgeon has a limited trial.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

My goal is to learn to play guitar like its my second language, and my first words to the world will be "Bite Me!".

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title: Air Guitarist

Guitarist Title thread

DWR's EPIC Practice Journal l

DarkWaveRiffer's Modern Music Mentored By Cosmin Thread

Lead Mastery Mentored by Gab

Attacking Scales Mentored By Alex Thread

Want to know how to practice for success?? Click here!!

Are you sabotaging your practice? Click here!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Apr 7 2012, 12:21 AM
The thread should be renamed "Practice for Success."

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

My goal is to learn to play guitar like its my second language, and my first words to the world will be "Bite Me!".

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 7 2012, 02:12 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I used to have a routine, now it consists of hitting "record" and playing until I simply can't go anymore. I find practicing traditional ways such as scales, techniques, and theory to actually slow down my progress and inhibit my creativity.

I learned sweeping because a song I was writing needed it, I learned to harmonize because a song had to have it, I learned alternate picking because I needed to play this riff faster to get the feel right.

You see where I'm going, but thats just what has worked for me. I get more satisfaction from progression through composition, even if I am a little behind where I could be technique wise.

EDIT

Thread title taken care of.

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Apr 7 2012, 03:57 AM
Your right, people learn differently, but some people don't know where to start, or they get discouraged because they don't know how, or what to practice. I can relate, it's just starting to come together for me, not that I am any where near where I want to be, but looking at how I practice has really made a difference, and I am improving. Success as a guitarist really come down to:
How much you play your instrument
How much you enjoy playing it

but when you play for hours, trying to play this lick, or that song, and can't get it to sound like you hear in the video, or song. People can, and often get discouraged. Once I learned how to practice, practice has now become enjoyable.

QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Apr 6 2012, 08:12 PM) *
I used to have a routine, now it consists of hitting "record" and playing until I simply can't go anymore. I find practicing traditional ways such as scales, techniques, and theory to actually slow down my progress and inhibit my creativity.

I learned sweeping because a song I was writing needed it, I learned to harmonize because a song had to have it, I learned alternate picking because I needed to play this riff faster to get the feel right.

You see where I'm going, but thats just what has worked for me. I get more satisfaction from progression through composition, even if I am a little behind where I could be technique wise.

EDIT

Thread title taken care of.

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 7 2012, 07:24 AM
Instructor
Great post, DWR. It's cool to see that you've been able to look at the subject of your practice time and seen where you could make it ore effective and beter utilise the time you have. I love it when you get these moments of enlightenment smile.gif

I tend to vary my practice approach according to what other goals I may have in my life at that time. If I have difficult things to record then I'll concentrate on the techniques for those. Usually though, I'm just working on stuff that I want to improve for myself.

Sometimes it's slightly structured. For me, structured is having a list of exercises I want to cover but I never time them. I either go until I think I've had enough of that one or I have a set number of reps. I haven't done this in a while though because I've been doing more of a less structured approach lately. I'll still work on technique but I'll just pick up my guitar and focus hard on what my hands are doing to try and achieve the right results, with and without the metronome smile.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Apr 7 2012, 08:27 AM
Instructor
Very good ideas! Even if you practice five minutes a day but have a full concentration you will get better results than fooling around for hours!
So I think the key here is to be organized!!!

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Apr 7 2012, 04:42 PM
Practice for success if really meant to be a foundational starting point for people who are struggling. I guess it could also serve advanced players to optimize their practice for better progress.

If someone wanted to be in a band and play song. Their practice would be a little different than say someone who wanted to make their own music. The guy who wanted to be in a band would focus on the songs, and the techniques,licks and timing associated to the songs.

The person who wanted to make their own music. They would learn more theory, and improvisation, but the core of how to practice would be very close.

1. Accuracy - Still important to get feedback whether its through teachers, play alongs, and metronome. Getting quick feedback will allow you to make adjustments faster, and speed up your progress. Thats why I love using backing tracks, and play along exercises. I can immediately telll if I am off.

2.Repitition - Focusing on problem area once proper technique is achieved, requires repitition until proper speed, and timing is reached. Get rid of extraneous parts that you already know and focus on the problem. This sounds like a no brainer, but I have caught myself going through a song playing the parts I know to get to the parts I am having trouble with. I could have just focused on the problem area, and did 10 reps of it by the time I got through the part I did know. Leads me to the next part.

3. Focus- Cut out the extraneous, progress happens when you focus on what you are struggling with, that is just outside your ability. I prefer to tackle thing incremetally.This is where the help of the gmc instructors, our your personal teacher can really help you figure out what to tackle, and what order. I want to focus on progress, and tackling the low hanging fruit that I can grab, and learn faster. This builds confidence, and builds your desire to learn more, as you succeed. If you are stuck on learning a very difficult piece, when in actuality its pretty far out of your ability at the moment, realize it will take time to get it down, where in that time you could have progressed your down picking speed, and learned some scales.

What I want to take away from this thread is a kind of best practices. If you were to start all over playing guitar. How would you have structured your practice, and how would you have attacked it.

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Apr 8 2012, 09:36 AM
Instructor
Man! You have some great advices here I am 100% agree!

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Apr 9 2012, 11:55 PM
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Apr 8 2012, 03:36 AM) *
Man! You have some great advices here I am 100% agree!

Thanks, I encourage everyone to contribute it. Especially the instructors. It would be nice to pin some of these fundamentally important threads too, or put them in their own forum.

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 9 2012, 11:56 PM
This is a great post, something for the WIKI?

QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Apr 7 2012, 11:42 AM) *
Practice for success if really meant to be a foundational starting point for people who are struggling. I guess it could also serve advanced players to optimize their practice for better progress.

If someone wanted to be in a band and play song. Their practice would be a little different than say someone who wanted to make their own music. The guy who wanted to be in a band would focus on the songs, and the techniques,licks and timing associated to the songs.

The person who wanted to make their own music. They would learn more theory, and improvisation, but the core of how to practice would be very close.

1. Accuracy - Still important to get feedback whether its through teachers, play alongs, and metronome. Getting quick feedback will allow you to make adjustments faster, and speed up your progress. Thats why I love using backing tracks, and play along exercises. I can immediately telll if I am off.

2.Repitition - Focusing on problem area once proper technique is achieved, requires repitition until proper speed, and timing is reached. Get rid of extraneous parts that you already know and focus on the problem. This sounds like a no brainer, but I have caught myself going through a song playing the parts I know to get to the parts I am having trouble with. I could have just focused on the problem area, and did 10 reps of it by the time I got through the part I did know. Leads me to the next part.

3. Focus- Cut out the extraneous, progress happens when you focus on what you are struggling with, that is just outside your ability. I prefer to tackle thing incremetally.This is where the help of the gmc instructors, our your personal teacher can really help you figure out what to tackle, and what order. I want to focus on progress, and tackling the low hanging fruit that I can grab, and learn faster. This builds confidence, and builds your desire to learn more, as you succeed. If you are stuck on learning a very difficult piece, when in actuality its pretty far out of your ability at the moment, realize it will take time to get it down, where in that time you could have progressed your down picking speed, and learned some scales.

What I want to take away from this thread is a kind of best practices. If you were to start all over playing guitar. How would you have structured your practice, and how would you have attacked it.

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Apr 10 2012, 12:02 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Apr 9 2012, 05:56 PM) *
This is a great post, something for the WIKI?

Thanks, never seen the Wiki for this site. Why isn't it more visible? I would make the really important posts, and links one of the first thing people see. Maybe even its own menu at the top of the webpage.

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
DarkWaveRiffer
Apr 21 2012, 12:49 AM
QUOTE (DarkWaveRiffer @ Apr 9 2012, 06:02 PM) *
Thanks, never seen the Wiki for this site. Why isn't it more visible? I would make the really important posts, and links one of the first thing people see. Maybe even its own menu at the top of the webpage.

Another thing that is so simple, but keeping this in mind will help with progress, try to focus on when practicing that you are going to learn something new. Whether its a chord, part of a scale, song, lick, technique etc. Strive to learn new things with guitar, and you will progress.

--------------------
Keep on playing!

DWR

"Just fn play already!"

Guitarist Title thread

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 24 2012, 02:55 PM
Instructor
Great thread man! Every tip that you listed here is very important to have a successful practice routine. Concentration and having clear goals are the main keys.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Bossie
Apr 24 2012, 10:50 PM
I used to struggle a lot on tough licks and riffs sometimes....and even after hours of messing around the result
still wasn't there. I find out that for me it was about letting go then, .. and coming back to it few days later ...and
everytime i was amazed howmuch easier it went. It's like my brain and hands had to absorb it first ... dry.gif
(maybe a bit offtopic.sorry !)

This post has been edited by Bossie: Apr 24 2012, 11:19 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:10 AM