Tom Scholz Of Boston
DanChapman
Jul 6 2008, 03:59 PM
GMC:er
Hey David,

I was wondering if you've listened to Tom Scholz of the band Boston and what you think of him. I absolutely love his guitar playing, his sound, and his dedication to the instrument. I never hear him mentioned with the other big name guitarists though! I can't even find the tabs for some of his songs online.

I just got serious about playing guitar about 1/2 a year ago, so I was looking for an expert opinion! Why isn't this guy talked about more?!? Was his music just not influential enough? To me, his music sounds very unique, difficult, and precise. Some of his solos are absolutely unbelievable.

I really like your video lessons btw. The 80s Glam Rock is my favorite! I'm learning A LOT from them. Your explanations on the theory behind your playing are very helpful.

Keep up the great work,

Dan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jul 7 2008, 03:52 PM
Instructor
Thanks a lot Dan,
I am not very familiar with Boston. But I will check them out!
But there are a lot of underestimated guitar players that don't get the recognition they deserve.
I agree!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 7 2008, 04:56 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
If it helps David - Boston had a huge hit with 'More than a Feeling' here. I think the first 2 albums went multi platinum. Scholz also pioneered the Rockman (?) pocket guitar amp equivalent of the Sony Walkman. Boston, Journey - even 80s Fleetwood Mac and Jefferson Starship and melodic Scorpions - tend to be sort of missed out on nowadays.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
jdriver
Jul 7 2008, 10:42 PM
Scholz is an interesting story. He was not a professional musician, he was an engineer at Polaroid Corporation working on instant film technology as his day job. This was in late 70's of course. He pretty much cooked up the entire first Boston album in his basement, doing sound engineering and guitars. As I recall it took him several years, working in his spare time.

He made history with the debut Boston album, both for his splashy style, and the outstanding sound of the recording. It sounded "huge." Remember this was before digital. Before the record came out, no one knew anything about him.

That first Boston album went on to become one of the biggest selling records of all time.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
black and white
Jul 7 2008, 10:48 PM
Listened to Boston on vinyl as a kid.......actually I think my brother and I wore out the 8 track too, but lets not go there huh.gif

Awesome band....legends of their time...would love to see a lesson on them.........Calling Jedi Master Muris cool.gif

This post has been edited by black and white: Jul 7 2008, 10:49 PM

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 7 2008, 11:11 PM

same here. they were one of the few that came out, and you thought "I have not ever heard anything even remotely like that before". does not happen much.

but I don't know about a lesson. they had some decent compositions on the first album, and the unique guitar sound, but nothing really to have lessons over, the sound was based primarily on the effects that the guitarist invented, which were unique at the time. everyone with a multi effects device has that sound now.

Oh, regarding David, I do agree that he ought to do more cover type lessons. He has a real knack for those, I think he and Muris are pretty unsurpassed in that respect. I mean, listen to Brian May. Or his Glam. David is super at covers of popular or once popular bands, when he does that.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jul 7 2008, 11:16 PM

+Quote Post
DanChapman
Jul 8 2008, 05:37 AM
I'm glad others agree! I highly recommend Boston's self titled album and "Don't Look Back". Every song on both albums is incredible (except track 2 of "Don't Look Back"... it's a transition track.) Some of my favorite songs in particular are:

- Hitch a Ride
- Peace of Mind
- A Man I'll Never Be
- More Than a Feeling
- Feeling Satisfied

"Hitch a Ride" has a solo that should be in the discussion of the greatest solos of all time.

I would also love to see a lesson in Scholz's style some time. I can't imagine how one would make a lesson out of him though! I'm trying to think what defines him as a guitarist... he definitely has that distinct guitar sound and has very melodic solos. He also uses some fast licks where he goes into his own time. He has many places where he uses 2 guitars to get a fuller sound or to trade solos with. I don't yet have a good ear for this, but it sounds like he sticks to major and minor scales and rarely (if ever) uses other modes in his solos. But what really makes him great is the way he weaves it all together.

This guy is my idol.

Dan

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:18 PM