2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Sanyo Xacti Vpc-cg10, HD for under $200?
skennington
Sep 18 2009, 07:56 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Check out this little camera. I have been looking at HD camera's in the sub $500 market and think I have landed on this model. For $180 at Wal-Mart, you can get this kind of quality out of it and the reviews for the most part have been positive. I'm sure some quality is suffering somewhere for the price but heck, not a lot you would be wasting if your dissatisfied.

Watch this in HD...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 18 2009, 08:00 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well the video doesn't look bad at all- on contrary! smile.gif I also saw some HD Praktica cams for similar price...don't know about quality though.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 19 2009, 12:41 AM
Instructor
Looks great. I will soon replace my DV cam with something HD, it seems that prices are dropping fast here as well.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 19 2009, 12:52 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Images look pretty good (although outside with good lighting always shows the best in a camera).

I would say at this price, the only downside is that it doesn't do full resolution 1080i/p but it looks like great value!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 23 2009, 02:38 PM
Instructor
Can anyone confirm if this camera is good for GMC lessons? Does it record on SD, does it have Firewire?

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Sep 23 2009, 02:45 PM
Records on SD card Ivan and you would need to purchase a larger one separately. 16-32gb I would presume. I'm also a bit worried about how it will react under low light conditions. As Andrew mentioned, looks like it performs well in an outdoor environment but what about inside?

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Sep 23 2009, 04:33 PM
Jazz Instructor
unbelievable! for 200 bucks...

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 24 2009, 12:29 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 23 2009, 09:38 AM) *
Can anyone confirm if this camera is good for GMC lessons? Does it record on SD, does it have Firewire?

At this point I'd rather see someone using a decent Mini DV than a cheap HD cam of the same price. From what I have seen so far you should be paying in excess of $500 to get an HD camera that doesn't suffer from some basic drawbacks. That's specifically for GMC instructor use though - an in no way detracts from the incredible value on show here! Also, as time goes on these HD cams are getting better and cheaper so sooner or later this particular piece of advice will be outdated!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 24 2009, 12:35 PM
Instructor
Thanks Andrew. I'm planning to get HD cam somewhere around New Year, so I'm asking around now and starting to follow the cams that are available. I hope their prices will get down a bit so they are more available.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 28 2009, 08:23 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 24 2009, 01:29 PM) *
At this point I'd rather see someone using a decent Mini DV than a cheap HD cam of the same price. From what I have seen so far you should be paying in excess of $500 to get an HD camera that doesn't suffer from some basic drawbacks. That's specifically for GMC instructor use though - an in no way detracts from the incredible value on show here! Also, as time goes on these HD cams are getting better and cheaper so sooner or later this particular piece of advice will be outdated!

Yeah this is so true! I guess we should only stick to good and proven (more expansive cams) from brands like Sony, Cannon etc. Its not that much in standard (SD, HD) rather in quality of optics and sensors and there are very good miniDV cams that still cost 2000$+ and they are no way inferior to HD cams (ones that are in lower price range). HD is the future though, here believe it or not TV stations are still broadcasting in SD but there is some deadline I think when they will transfer to HD (in 2-3 years I think).

Though cheap camcorders can look tempting and some work well for home videos, youtube stuff etc which is cool. For that purpose web cams do the job well too, so why not cheap camcorder smile.gif

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Sep 28 2009, 08:23 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
edguy
Sep 28 2009, 08:39 PM
Learning Roadie
Well i also own a cheap HD cam from aiptek. It's called Aiptek AHD H5 Extreme

What i found out till now is that with daylight you get a real good pcitur and everything is nice. Inside a flat or something it's hard to get that ultra clear picture. The bad thing abput this cam is that it has no picture stabilisation so your movies are shaky. But when you use a tripod it works well.

So i am very satisfied with this cam and it was a good cheap price. I think something about 170 €

here is an example from inside light conditions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwA1wS7EhOk...player_embedded

My cam can do the full HD resolution but i think in this video i converted it to 720p.

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 29 2009, 11:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (edguy @ Sep 28 2009, 09:39 PM) *

What i found out till now is that with daylight you get a real good pcitur and everything is nice. Inside a flat or something it's hard to get that ultra clear picture. The bad thing abput this cam is that it has no picture stabilisation so your movies are shaky. But when you use a tripod it works well.

So i am very satisfied with this cam and it was a good cheap price. I think something about 170 €

here is an example from inside light conditions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwA1wS7EhOk...player_embedded

My cam can do the full HD resolution but i think in this video i converted it to 720p.

That is very interesting. I would like to hear more experiences with these cheap HD cams, and some comparisons perhaps.

I understand that using a cheap HD camcoder is not desireable, but these days you can find webcams that can push the quality on a fairly reasonable level. What is the exact problem with cheap HD camcoders then? I use cheap DV camcoder for the lessons, and the picture is good enough I believe. If I had a bit more expensive DV camera, the picture would be very similar, if not the same after the compression into Flash. I use 1.5KW of light anyway, so this is not the issue, any cam will have enough light - if the setup on the cam itself is properly made.

I would ask someone who has bigger experience in HD field (I'm a relatively noobish there) to explain what are exact problems with cheap HD cams that cannot be overcomed when recording GMC lessons (only for this purpose I'm getting the cam anyway).

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Sep 29 2009, 12:01 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 29 2009, 04:11 PM
Instructor
I'm with Ivan on this, I'm very interested in hearing people's thoughts on this.
I can't spend too much money and this option seems good, but would it be better than what I am using now (standard camcorder with built in harddrive...)

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 29 2009, 10:52 PM
QUOTE (edguy @ Sep 28 2009, 09:39 PM) *

That looks very good man! Don't worry about low light conditions, many and much more expensive camcorders just can't capture well in low light and you get noise and grain in the picture. But you can easily fix that by adding more lights (camcorders need A LOT of them). They will really make a difference. Do you possibly have any clips in HD which you recorded in bright daylight outside? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Oct 15 2009, 11:05 AM
Experienced Rock Star
wish I had seen this topic before buying my camera :/

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Oct 15 2009, 11:28 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Personally I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole, I had a slgihtly older model Xacti HD camera, actually not bad but .... the Sanyo support is absolutley terrible, when I had a probelm with USB connection to my PC I never heard anything back from them (4 emails in total), I had more help from guys on this forum, unfortunatly it never solved my problem, the camera then just stopped working, and has since been thrown into a cupboard and I`ve bought a new camera.

The connection problem is fairly common apparently, your computer no longer recognises the camera, despite all valliant efforts and suggestions from people nothing worked, it didnt even work when I bought a new computer, worthless rubbish imo, I had to buy a seperate card reader in the end to transfer videos to my computer for editing.

will never be on my purchase list again laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Chris Evans: Oct 15 2009, 11:28 AM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 15 2009, 11:44 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Chris Evans @ Oct 15 2009, 11:28 AM) *
The connection problem is fairly common apparently, your computer no longer recognises the camera, despite all valliant efforts and suggestions from people nothing worked, it didnt even work when I bought a new computer, worthless rubbish imo, I had to buy a seperate card reader in the end to transfer videos to my computer for editing.

That happened with my Canon camcorder.

+Quote Post
skennington
Oct 15 2009, 01:30 PM
QUOTE (Chris Evans @ Oct 15 2009, 06:28 AM) *
Personally I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole, I had a slgihtly older model Xacti HD camera, actually not bad but .... the Sanyo support is absolutley terrible, when I had a probelm with USB connection to my PC I never heard anything back from them (4 emails in total), I had more help from guys on this forum, unfortunatly it never solved my problem, the camera then just stopped working, and has since been thrown into a cupboard and I`ve bought a new camera.

Thanks for that feedback Chris, glad I went a different direction now. smile.gif I still bought a cheaper camera but went with the Samsung SC MX-20. Lets hope it don't have issues...

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 15 2009, 11:48 PM
QUOTE (Chris Evans @ Oct 15 2009, 12:28 PM) *

Thanks for info man! I guess the cam has some quality issues, which are gamble since the cam is significantly cheaper and may as well last forever... Similar with some products from Behringer company smile.gif

Though USB problem you mentioned, that same thing happened on my friends Sony miniDV cam which was only a year old. Though it was not the same (its the firewire that broke) but same thing happens- PC doesen't recognize it...IS there any solution you stumbuled upon while investigating your problem that may be useful in this case?

Cheers

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 3 2009, 03:38 AM
Instructor
I'm sure that with proper lightening this camera can do wonders,

I love japanese music biggrin.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:53 AM