Great 80's Thrash Metal Tone, The good old days of cranked Marshall tone
Mudbone
Dec 4 2010, 02:54 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
To me, this is one of the greatest metal tones of all time. When I think of Heavy Metal guitar, this is the tone that comes to mind biggrin.gif Software emulators have their purpose, but they can never recreate this tone.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Nielzsz
Dec 4 2010, 09:38 AM
Learning Roadie
Sounds awesome man! thanks for sharing biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 4 2010, 05:30 PM
Instructor
great voice!

the tone is really metal yeah. I like that first song! I hadn't actually listened to Anthrax apart from that famous one tongue.gif

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Dec 4 2010, 08:46 PM
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Dec 4 2010, 11:30 AM) *
great voice!

the tone is really metal yeah. I like that first song! I hadn't actually listened to Anthrax apart from that famous one tongue.gif

You should check out the whole album, called "Spreading the Disease", theres a lot of great metal tracks on there. Heres another song from that album. Maybe a do an Anthrax lesson perhaps? biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Mudbone: Dec 4 2010, 08:47 PM

--------------------

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 4 2010, 08:47 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I miss this Anthrax, Scott Ian is one hell of a riffer.

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 4 2010, 09:41 PM
The Dark Canuck
LOVE Anthrax!!! These bring back memories LOL!! Thanks for sharing man smile.gif

Here is my favourite... well one of my favourites wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 4 2010, 11:05 PM
Instructor
Wow, forgotten how good 80's 'Thrax is ! Got Spreading The Disease & Among The Living on vinyl.. gonna have to get a player to listen to them again !!

But you're right about the good old cranked Marshall tone, Mudbone... I think the guitar sound on Metallica's Ride The Lightning has that savage edge to it !

Fight Fire With Fire

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Dec 5 2010, 02:24 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 4 2010, 05:05 PM) *
Wow, forgotten how good 80's 'Thrax is ! Got Spreading The Disease & Among The Living on vinyl.. gonna have to get a player to listen to them again !!

But you're right about the good old cranked Marshall tone, Mudbone... I think the guitar sound on Metallica's Ride The Lightning has that savage edge to it !

Fight Fire With Fire

Ride the Lightning has got to be my favorite Metallica album, great tone on that record. But isn't it funny how bands like Anthrax pretty much disappeared? They used to be a pretty big band back in the day, its only with the past shows with Metallica did they come into the spotlight again.

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Kael
Dec 5 2010, 04:16 AM
GMC:er
I feel ashamed that ive never listened to them before just now...im loving the sound they had going on back then smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 5 2010, 10:28 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Dec 5 2010, 01:24 AM) *
Ride the Lightning has got to be my favorite Metallica album, great tone on that record. But isn't it funny how bands like Anthrax pretty much disappeared? They used to be a pretty big band back in the day, its only with the past shows with Metallica did they come into the spotlight again.

Yeah.. I personally think people get tired of the 'who's in the band/ who isn't in the band' saga that they've had going on since the We've Come For You All album... but yeah, even before then they went down off the radar a bit. I reckon Metallica were the only metal band to keep a high profile throughout the anti-metal 90's, mainly just by stature rather than musical output. It is totally unexpected but a nice surprise that Metal is probably more popular now than it's ever been though.. who'd have thought it ??? blink.gif

I think one of the heaviest tones Megadeth ever achieved was on the 'Go To Hell' single. Weird how they've never captured that feel and sound again on any of their records. It was such a good sound I'm surprised it slipped through the net.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 6 2010, 01:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mudbone @ Dec 4 2010, 09:46 PM) *
You should check out the whole album, called "Spreading the Disease", theres a lot of great metal tracks on there. Heres another song from that album. Maybe a do an Anthrax lesson perhaps? biggrin.gif

oh man, this track is great! somehow it reminds me of Contra. The NES video game.

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post
Zsolt Galambos
Dec 6 2010, 02:50 PM
GMC Coordinator & Instructor
It is said that Scott Ian has one of the strongest attacks. This is what I lack in a lot of new guitar players. Madhouse rules biggrin.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile

Check out my Personal Board

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Dec 6 2010, 05:48 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
YES YES YES!!! biggrin.gif

Anthrax is one of my all-time favorite bands!
Great songs on every album.

And that is the best Trash Metal tones! smile.gif

Scott Ian is also one of my favorite guitarists,
he don't get enough credit in my opinion...

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 9 2010, 12:50 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
You guys should check out these newer bands that are doing some old school 80s thrash stuff.

+Quote Post
Fre
Dec 9 2010, 05:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
Awesome thread!
@Uncreator:
I think the vocals aren't heavy metal enough compared with the others mentioned.
Nevertheless I find it good. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 9 2010, 06:01 PM
Very cool thread Mudbone smile.gif You have a great point here. Amp Modeling is handy but yeah, trying to recreate that type of crushing tone is software is all but impossible. So many factors go in to making killer chunky tone.

1.)The Player - Scott Ian has an incredibly strong right hand and his attack is monstrous. The harder you hit the strings, the more punch/attack/drive you can get out of it, especially with a tube amp.

2.)The Amp/Gear - Having high end gear certainly doesn't hurt.

3.)The Room - A big part of the tone comes from how the amp interacts with the room it's being recorded in. A nice big room such as the drum room found in big studios can make a big guitar sound in to a HUGE guitar sound by putting more mics in the room, additional stereo pairs, mics inside the cab/behind it, more mics off axis etc.

4.)The Engineer - An even bigger part is the sound engineer. Today, most folks (myself included) have become defacto sound engineers as we are recording our own stuff. This is different from a pro audio engineer that does nothing but record audio 8-12 hours a day for a living. They develop a bag of tricks that comes from years of experience.

Anthrax has truly killer tone. I'm also fond of the "Carcass" type sound such as found on HEARTWORK for it's dense layering and thickness.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 9 2010, 06:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 9 2010, 05:01 PM) *
4.)The Engineer - An even bigger part is the sound engineer. Today, most folks (myself included) have become defacto sound engineers as we are recording our own stuff. This is different from a pro audio engineer that does nothing but record audio 8-12 hours a day for a living. They develop a bag of tricks that comes from years of experience.

Totally ! I can't believe how under estimated the role of an experienced engineer is these days. Why do people think all those Martin Birch produced albums from the 70's and 80's sound so timeless ? I think I've said this somewhere before on GMC.. but an experienced engineer can look at the gear you've brought into a studio and know right away what mic will work best with that etc...

Of course, all the other factors mentioned are just as important.. but a good engineer will really make the difference. Compare any recent Maiden album with an 80's one.. Kevin Shirley himself even said he didn't think the engineering side was that important...! Can you believe that ? Might go some way to explaining why the recent albums sound like mud... unsure.gif

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Dec 9 2010, 06:56 PM
what about these guys cool.gif

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 9 2010, 08:00 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 9 2010, 06:28 PM) *
... but a good engineer will really make the difference.

Absolutely. A world class engineer will get good results regardless of the gear. A poor engineer will not get good results even if they use the best equipment. (A world class engineer and world class equipment and it's biggrin.gif .)

If you want a great sound -then get the tracking/recording and mixing sorted out. Don't think that a bad mix will be saved by the mastering engineer.

Might just be me but back in the 70s and 80s we relied much more on EQ and simple compression to get results. Nowadays people throw too much and too many different effects on to a mix. A lot of it doesn't help and actually makes the mix worse.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Dec 9 2010, 11:11 PM
Instructor
speaking of 80's, I know this is not the greatest tone, but that makes it even sound more raw, I like it a lot

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

Gustav Mahler

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:14 AM