Plek'ed Necks
fkalich
Jan 8 2008, 03:16 AM
GMC:er
This has never been discussed. So I will give my observations, and see if anyone has anything to say on the subject.

I have a Les Paul that came Plek'ed. Without question, you can set the action lower than on my other guitars. For anyone unfamiliar, the Plek machine is a German computerized robot that will dress the frets on the guitar. This allows it to remove non uniformities. That is, a guitar frets are dressed perfectly when fret buzz appears at the same time on all strings and at all places as you keep setting lower the action as low as possible.

My impression of the process is very positive.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 8 2008, 03:57 AM
Learning Roadie
I haven't heard of this before, but most Parker guitars come with special frets that have more or less to my understanding been given a similar treatment (or at least have a similar outcome) to what you're describing. In other words, yeah, I notice a difference too (real smooth fret action, feels like butter on your fingertips. Haven't tried a Plek'd neck but the Parker frets feel different to anything I've ever tried).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Jan 8 2008, 04:36 AM
Learning Tone Master
This was first used by Framus Guitars, a German custo guitar factory. I allows you to keep the strings extremely clos to the fret. But compared to high end guitars there isn't such a big diffrence because those guitar are built by hand and can be nearly low ajusted.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jan 8 2008, 04:59 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Jan 7 2008, 09:36 PM) *
This was first used by Framus Guitars, a German custo guitar factory. I allows you to keep the strings extremely clos to the fret. But compared to high end guitars there isn't such a big diffrence because those guitar are built by hand and can be nearly low ajusted.

different in my experience. i only own gibsons and american fenders, typically considered hight end by most. the plek'ed neck is a little better. At least that is my experince. I am positive of it.

it is a sophisticated device, not a simple item, and very expensive. i highly doubt that the factories for even the best guitars can afford to employ experienced luthiers who are capable of meeting the low tolerances and consistency that such a robot can be capable of.

Gibson uses it on it's Custom shop guitars. Reissues, LP Customs, and some other models.

edit: i may misunderstand what you are saying. the last sentence is a bit unclear to me.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jan 8 2008, 05:05 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:49 PM