4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Ben's Practice Journal
jstcrsn
Dec 9 2011, 12:37 AM
Learning Tone Master
I see what I did,my theory was correct ,I just read your tab wrong and my ear wanted the 2 fret move( to keep it in the same scale)between the g and the b
but when I read your tab, the 12th and 15 freted on the E string whilst ( how many times do you get to use whilst in sentence) I fretted the 14th and 11th on the b string by accident
but it put sort of a majorish vibe in the middle of that run- give it a shot and let me what you think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 9 2011, 11:14 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Dec 8 2011, 11:37 PM) *
I see what I did,my theory was correct ,I just read your tab wrong and my ear wanted the 2 fret move( to keep it in the same scale)between the g and the b
but when I read your tab, the 12th and 15 freted on the E string whilst ( how many times do you get to use whilst in sentence) I fretted the 14th and 11th on the b string by accident
but it put sort of a majorish vibe in the middle of that run- give it a shot and let me what you think?

It does sound nice doesn't it ? It does have a Major / bluesy 7th vibe cool.gif

Thursday 8th Dec: Ok so I haven't actually been practising the tabbed lick for a couple of days because I've been too excited with my new approach. I've been warming up by playing 16th notes on one string (but doing it on all strings) and leading it with the left hand. My limit before my hand gets inaccurate is around 165-170. If I tried to keep it going further I would tense up which would ruin the whole point of things.

After doing my speed workout I concentrated on the outside/inside picking motions. Outside was great.. I think I pushed it to around 120-125bpm. It's difficult to do this and not be aware of your picking hand. It's tempting to concentrate on your pick strokes but you've got to resist and trust it. I combat this by doing a very deliberate pattern with my left hand, using my index finger on the low E string and middle finger on the A string. For example, I will fret the 7th fret on E with my index finger and the the 9th fret on A with my middle. In the rhythm of 16th notes.

I do the same for inside picking but it didin't go as well this time. I think it's because I already tired my hand and arm out dry.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Dec 9 2011, 11:15 AM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 11 2011, 09:49 PM
Instructor
Wow, have I really not updated for 3 days ? huh.gif Ok, let's rattle this brain and see what falls out..

Sunday 11th Dec:

Well, I've actually stopped practising this diminished lick and I'm now using my time to focus on more areas of picking. I've got a couple of really basic patterns that work for both inside picking and outside picking.

E----10---------------------------
B---------13--11--10--11--10--

and:

B----10--------------------------
G---------12--10--9--10--12--

To be played as triplets. That should be right, I'm doing it with no guitar at hand and visualising the correct frets. If you try it and it sounds weird then I probably messed up because I wouldn't play werid licks. Not me. ph34r.gif

So yeah, it's been going real good with this. Start slow as normal and then bump it up by 5bpm each time. Friday and Saturday were good but today I was tired. I had a Karate course today and we did this warm up that involved clenching and unclenching your fists as fast as you can. My forearms and hands were like lead after a minute or two of that so when I got to my guitar this evening my stamina wasn't so hot but I just changed approach a bit and decided to do smaller bursts but push the speed even higher. As a result I was doing busrts of these, 16th note triplets at 105bpm max.. I know it sounds slow but this is really the first time that I'm doing it right smile.gif

So far, so good (so what ?) cool.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 18 2011, 01:27 PM
Instructor
Wow, it's been a long time since I updated...

I've been spending most 'guitar time' recording, which has left my hands and arms in a 'well used' state afterwards.. I started getting aches and pains the day afterwards so I've either been a ) not playing any guitar at all and resting b ) recording or c ) too busy doing other things to practice..

Hopefully now I'll be able to get back to things. I'm sure we all get these times. rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Dec 18 2011, 01:27 PM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 18 2011, 02:37 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 11 2011, 09:49 PM) *
Wow, have I really not updated for 3 days ? huh.gif Ok, let's rattle this brain and see what falls out..

Sunday 11th Dec:

Well, I've actually stopped practising this diminished lick and I'm now using my time to focus on more areas of picking. I've got a couple of really basic patterns that work for both inside picking and outside picking.

E----10---------------------------
B---------13--11--10--11--10--

and:

B----10--------------------------
G---------12--10--9--10--12--

To be played as triplets. That should be right, I'm doing it with no guitar at hand and visualising the correct frets. If you try it and it sounds weird then I probably messed up because I wouldn't play werid licks. Not me. ph34r.gif

So yeah, it's been going real good with this. Start slow as normal and then bump it up by 5bpm each time. Friday and Saturday were good but today I was tired. I had a Karate course today and we did this warm up that involved clenching and unclenching your fists as fast as you can. My forearms and hands were like lead after a minute or two of that so when I got to my guitar this evening my stamina wasn't so hot but I just changed approach a bit and decided to do smaller bursts but push the speed even higher. As a result I was doing busrts of these, 16th note triplets at 105bpm max.. I know it sounds slow but this is really the first time that I'm doing it right smile.gif

So far, so good (so what ?) cool.gif

Ben, outside picking is by far my weakest link.It starts with the fact that I learned wrong and got real fast but it was never in perfect sync.
the first riff ( in a minor I believe ) is one of my many practice riffs, but my problem is when I outside pick and cross over to the E string ,I accent that note(throwing my timing off)when I am going slow my picking is fast enough to compensate ( catch up),but when I get to 95 bpm triplets that is were my imperfection shows up ( now I have set my metronome at 135 quarter notes with a different click every four notes so that the accent shows up on a different note each time and within 12 notes the triplet gets repeated ( starts over)
now it is coming up on 5 years of steady practice and I am still here
any clues on how I can jump this hurdle .my daily routine usually starts off with this at 80 bpm quarter notes
dam I am getting frustrated
any hints ( that I may not have heard in the past 4 years here at Gmc)

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 18 2011, 06:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Dec 18 2011, 01:37 PM) *
Ben, outside picking is by far my weakest link.It starts with the fact that I learned wrong and got real fast but it was never in perfect sync.
the first riff ( in a minor I believe ) is one of my many practice riffs, but my problem is when I outside pick and cross over to the E string ,I accent that note(throwing my timing off)when I am going slow my picking is fast enough to compensate ( catch up),but when I get to 95 bpm triplets that is were my imperfection shows up ( now I have set my metronome at 135 quarter notes with a different click every four notes so that the accent shows up on a different note each time and within 12 notes the triplet gets repeated ( starts over)
now it is coming up on 5 years of steady practice and I am still here
any clues on how I can jump this hurdle .my daily routine usually starts off with this at 80 bpm quarter notes
dam I am getting frustrated
any hints ( that I may not have heard in the past 4 years here at Gmc)

One thing I noticed was that after a day of playing these licks I started playing them slightly differently for the outside picking part. Instead of starting on the E string.. I played it like this instead:

E-----------------10------------
B--10--11--13-------13--11--

Start on a downstroke, so you will hit the E string with an upstroke and come back to the B string on a downstroke. Remember to 'count' and focus with your left hand too, not your right.. allow it to be 'led'.

(I also realised I wrote the tab out wrong on the top lick in my other post.. the last note should have been on the 13th fret again)

Basically I'm starting the phrase with 3 notes which gives you more time to get into the groove before crossing strings. So you're playing the same notes but in a different order. I definitely recommend playing licks where you play at least one note (more if possible) before crossing a string to give you the time to get into the groove and 'feel' it.

I also recommend switching exercises around and trying different things every few days. So, instead of doing licks that cover 2 strings, I might do licks that span all 6 strings but play it through once, pause, then repeat. So you're still training the necessary motions but in a different way.. it also gives your brain time away from the other licks. After a few days of that, go back to your other licks.

Today I started introducing the typical Zakk Wylde type pentatonic licks.. the 16th note ones like this:

E-------------------------------------------
B-------------------------------------------
G---12--10------------12--10------------
D-------------12--10------------12--10--

You know the kind of thing. Start on a downstroke always. Try this with the approach of focusing on your left hand and allowing your picking hand to go 'weak' and relaxed. It's weird. But this is a brilliant exercise for outside picking and different from the triplet style licks. You can move these basic lick around on any strings, the pentatonic box shapes work really nicely for these. It will complement your other licks really well. So try swapping these types of licks around every few days.. or practice them all together smile.gif

You'll also find that you'll require different tempos for different types of licks, even though they may be using the same note values, like triplets or16th notes. Certain licks just require more dexterity or more energy.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 22 2011, 05:41 PM
Instructor
Excellent advices Ben, I'm following your series closely smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 22 2011, 06:33 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Dec 22 2011, 04:41 PM) *
Excellent advices Ben, I'm following your series closely smile.gif

I'm glad you're enjoying it Ivan smile.gif

Thursday 22nd Dec: Today was a kick ass day for guitar ! It started ok, but then I really hit paydirt after about 20 / 30 mins..

You see, I've been focusing on the fretting hand and allowing the picking hand to stay relaxed as possible.. well, when I started doing this I noticed that my picking hand tended to want to have no fingers touching the guitar body.. however, the more and more that I relax.. my hand (well, the side of my hand/little finger) wants to start resting on the guitar/bridge again. Weird huh ? It's like I've come full circle again blink.gif

But I tell you.. the results were so much better today. I was doing the same kind of thing we discussed in the video chat. Take a basic pentatonic shape like this:

E---13--10-----------------10--13--10-----------------10--
B-------------13--10--13-----------------13--10--13-------

I've been using basic Dm pentatonic shapes that cross 2 strings. Typical Zakk Wylde licks - simple but brilliant ! cool.gif

Anyway.. you can play this lick either straight 16th notes or as 16th note triplets. I do both. Set the metronome at around 80bpm and try this: Play the lick twice as 16th notes then insert 1 16th note triplet version.

That's the basic idea. But you can take it as far as you want.. I generally don't start doing 16th note triplets until I've warmed up with basic 16th note licks. The idea is that it sets the groove for your hand and then it should be easier to just blaze out a quick burst inbetween the slower licks. smile.gif

+Quote Post
JD_
Dec 23 2011, 09:21 AM
Learning Roadie
great info Ben..... Thanks rolleyes.gif

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 23 2011, 10:21 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Dec 23 2011, 08:21 AM) *
great info Ben..... Thanks rolleyes.gif

Always happy to be of service, Sir smile.gif

+Quote Post
pikman
Dec 23 2011, 05:31 PM
GMC:er
excellent lesson Ben!!! shred!

here is a little jam dude for you to check out and see what you think............

This post has been edited by pikman: Dec 23 2011, 05:35 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Beyond_The_Light.mp3 ( 6.96MB ) Number of downloads: 123

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 23 2011, 10:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (pikman @ Dec 23 2011, 04:31 PM) *
excellent lesson Ben!!! shred!

here is a little jam dude for you to check out and see what you think............

WOW ! That is incredible.. it's like Racer X meets Megadeth ! I love how you combine different guitar tones for the solos too, just the sort of thing I like cool.gif

You should upload this elsewhere in the forum too.. people need to hear this.. Todd Simpson would love it too ! biggrin.gif

Do you have any videos ?

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 24 2011, 04:54 PM
Learning Tone Master
all this outside picking stuff is showing me just how bad I suck at it , it's starting to piss me off

anyway, I can't seem to unclench everything from picking hand to my jaw when outside picking , when I switch to inside (180 quarter notes)
but outside -even at 100 quarter notes ( I like to set a click for every note because in the past when changing strings I slow down and throw thing out of sink)and it just seems like to more I try to practice ( your diminished outside picking run the worse it gets

what must I do

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 25 2011, 02:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Dec 24 2011, 03:54 PM) *
all this outside picking stuff is showing me just how bad I suck at it , it's starting to piss me off

anyway, I can't seem to unclench everything from picking hand to my jaw when outside picking , when I switch to inside (180 quarter notes)
but outside -even at 100 quarter notes ( I like to set a click for every note because in the past when changing strings I slow down and throw thing out of sink)and it just seems like to more I try to practice ( your diminished outside picking run the worse it gets

what must I do

I haven't been practising that diminished run as a whole for quite some time now. I think the best thing to do is to break things down into musical little drills that work the motions you need. Try those Penta licks that I put up.. they've been working really well for me lately.

Don't forget to relinquish control of your picking hand.. it sounds as if you're still trying to motor through things with your right hand and are still consciously moving the pick up and down etc..

I know it seems totally alien but pretend that your fretting hand is in control of your picking hand. Whenever and wherever your fretting hand moves, your picking hand is pulled along with it. It takes practice to get into that mindset but it's worth persuing because it will eradicate all that tension you're experiencing.

It makes sense to start doing it very slowly too and get used to the sensation of it.. but you'll be surprised at what your hands can do smile.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 25 2011, 03:39 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 25 2011, 02:54 PM) *
. but you'll be surprised at what your hands can do smile.gif

that's what my wife keeps tellin me laugh.gif oh,I kill me

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 29 2011, 07:50 PM
Instructor
Ok, update for Dec 29th 2011: My schedule during the Xmas period has totally gone out of the window with my organisational skills !! rolleyes.gif However, in between catching up with editing audio and video I've managed to sneak in the occasional flirtation with the guitar and it's been good ! biggrin.gif

Well, as you know, I've been messing around with pentatonic shapes lately and I've discovered to my delight that they are an amazing method of training speed and dexterity. I've enjoyed bigger gains than ever before, compared to other alternate picking licks..

Today I picked up the guitar for an informal noodle/practice whilst I was rendering videos in Sony Vegas and I noticed that I was able to play things almost immediately that would normally require me to practice for about 15-20 mins for. The co-ordination has improved. I put a lot of this down to my 'lead with the fretting hand' approach. I've come to the conclusion.. to get faster - think faster.

Anyway, after an hour or so of noodling away, I gravitated towards playing some triplet pentatonic licks. I don't just mean the 2 string repeating licks.. I'm talking about the kind of thing that John McLaughlin does.. using the pentatonic box shapes to ascend or descend in a triplet rhythm. It doesn't necessarily have to cover 6 strings.. I've devised a lick that covers 3 strings, descending and ascending.

You'll have to slide from the 10th fret on the G string to the 7th fret, using your 1st finger. Then play the 10th with your little finger and use 1st finger,4th finger for the B & E string, climbing up again. When you get the the last note on the 10th fret, slide with your little finger to the 13th fret and start the lick again. ( The idea is that you can cycle these licks. ) Even if you would not normally use your little finger, you will find it useful for these types of licks because of the position slides.

E--13--10--------------------------------------------8--10--
B------------13--10------------------------8--10----------
G----------------------12--10---7--10------------------

----(4)-(1)-(4)-(1)-(3)-(1)-(1)-(4)-(1)-(4)-(1)(4)-

The numbers in brackets refer to the finger you should use.

You can practice this either in 16th note triplets or straight 16th notes.. but the end goal is to play it as 16th note triplets. Playing pentatonic box shapes in triplets is very difficult because of the 2 note per string formation, but it sounds amazing and will be worth the effort !

+Quote Post
pikman
Dec 30 2011, 03:55 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 29 2011, 06:50 PM) *
Ok, update for Dec 29th 2011: My schedule during the Xmas period has totally gone out of the window with my organisational skills !! rolleyes.gif However, in between catching up with editing audio and video I've managed to sneak in the occasional flirtation with the guitar and it's been good ! biggrin.gif

Well, as you know, I've been messing around with pentatonic shapes lately and I've discovered to my delight that they are an amazing method of training speed and dexterity. I've enjoyed bigger gains than ever before, compared to other alternate picking licks..

Today I picked up the guitar for an informal noodle/practice whilst I was rendering videos in Sony Vegas and I noticed that I was able to play things almost immediately that would normally require me to practice for about 15-20 mins for. The co-ordination has improved. I put a lot of this down to my 'lead with the fretting hand' approach. I've come to the conclusion.. to get faster - think faster.

Anyway, after an hour or so of noodling away, I gravitated towards playing some triplet pentatonic licks. I don't just mean the 2 string repeating licks.. I'm talking about the kind of thing that John McLaughlin does.. using the pentatonic box shapes to ascend or descend in a triplet rhythm. It doesn't necessarily have to cover 6 strings.. I've devised a lick that covers 3 strings, descending and ascending.

You'll have to slide from the 10th fret on the G string to the 7th fret, using your 1st finger. Then play the 10th with your little finger and use 1st finger,4th finger for the B & E string, climbing up again. When you get the the last note on the 10th fret, slide with your little finger to the 13th fret and start the lick again. ( The idea is that you can cycle these licks. ) Even if you would not normally use your little finger, you will find it useful for these types of licks because of the position slides.

E--13--10--------------------------------------------8--10--
B------------13--10------------------------8--10----------
G----------------------12--10---7--10------------------

----(4)-(1)-(4)-(1)-(3)-(1)-(1)-(4)-(1)-(4)-(1)(4)-

The numbers in brackets refer to the finger you should use.

You can practice this either in 16th note triplets or straight 16th notes.. but the end goal is to play it as 16th note triplets. Playing pentatonic box shapes in triplets is very difficult because of the 2 note per string formation, but it sounds amazing and will be worth the effort !

great lick dude! i will keep jamming these until it hurts and you are right about pentatonics...they are difficult to get going fast like Zakk Wylde......thank you for this....shred......

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 30 2011, 04:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (pikman @ Dec 30 2011, 02:55 PM) *
great lick dude! i will keep jamming these until it hurts and you are right about pentatonics...they are difficult to get going fast like Zakk Wylde......thank you for this....shred......

No worries man, I love these licks too..!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Dec 31 2011, 04:54 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Dec 22 2011, 06:33 PM) *
I'm glad you're enjoying it Ivan smile.gif

Thursday 22nd Dec: Today was a kick ass day for guitar ! It started ok, but then I really hit paydirt after about 20 / 30 mins..

You see, I've been focusing on the fretting hand and allowing the picking hand to stay relaxed as possible.. well, when I started doing this I noticed that my picking hand tended to want to have no fingers touching the guitar body.. however, the more and more that I relax.. my hand (well, the side of my hand/little finger) wants to start resting on the guitar/bridge again. Weird huh ? It's like I've come full circle again blink.gif

But I tell you.. the results were so much better today. I was doing the same kind of thing we discussed in the video chat. Take a basic pentatonic shape like this:

E---13--10-----------------10--13--10-----------------10--
B-------------13--10--13-----------------13--10--13-------

I've been using basic Dm pentatonic shapes that cross 2 strings. Typical Zakk Wylde licks - simple but brilliant ! cool.gif

Anyway.. you can play this lick either straight 16th notes or as 16th note triplets. I do both. Set the metronome at around 80bpm and try this: Play the lick twice as 16th notes then insert 1 16th note triplet version.

That's the basic idea. But you can take it as far as you want.. I generally don't start doing 16th note triplets until I've warmed up with basic 16th note licks. The idea is that it sets the groove for your hand and then it should be easier to just blaze out a quick burst inbetween the slower licks. smile.gif

well,this morning I was doin this lick at 100 triplets.I was only able to manage doing the lick twice,rest a beat and repeat,but I was able
keep this up for awhile.
Man these licks are my weak-points , they seem to be gettin faster, Thanks for taking he time to post this stuff

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Dec 31 2011, 05:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Dec 31 2011, 03:54 PM) *
well,this morning I was doin this lick at 100 triplets.I was only able to manage doing the lick twice,rest a beat and repeat,but I was able
keep this up for awhile.
Man these licks are my weak-points , they seem to be gettin faster, Thanks for taking he time to post this stuff

Hey that's good going !! I didn't play guitar yesterday so I can't wait to pick it up today and have a blast at it again biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:12 PM