Modding My Squier, Tips?
ins187
Oct 17 2008, 12:06 PM
GMC:er
I have a classic vibe 60's strat that i've been playing for 3 months now. It's up to par with my fender mim telecaster. Lately i've been thinking that i can get a whole lot more out of this guitar. I've never done any mods on a guitar before but i'm great with soldering etc so that shouldn't be a problem.

I got it straight out of the box and have never done any changes on it. So the specs are still original LINK. My question is what can i change on this guitar to give it a more funky/bluesier tone and improve the overal tone?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 16)
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 17 2008, 12:09 PM
It's difficult with the poor wood quality of the Squire range but different pick ups would make a great deal of different. If you get some high quality pick ups.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Noangels
Oct 17 2008, 03:08 PM
The only thing I can think of is taking it out into your garden and giving it a viking funeral tongue.gif

joking aside you can change the pickups if you realy feel like upgrading it,that should improve the tone a lot-apart from that I cant realy think of any other alterations you could do

well I spose you could put a brass nut on it to increase sustain

--------------------
Ibanez geo and a line 6 spider

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 17 2008, 03:16 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I suppose the neck is good enough so if you get an adler body to put it on and then new hardware like trem, pickups and tuners. Doesn't have to be expensive pickups, there are great ones to find on eBay that doesn't cost a lot.

But the simplest thing is to put new pickups in and stick with the rest as is.

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Oct 17 2008, 03:22 PM
save the money and buy a new guitar

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Oct 17 2008, 03:41 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (fatb0t @ Oct 17 2008, 04:22 PM) *
save the money and buy a new guitar

That can even be cheaper, buying three brand new high-end pickups might cost you almost more then buying a new one!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
kjutte
Oct 17 2008, 04:33 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Oct 17 2008, 01:09 PM) *
It's difficult with the poor wood quality of the Squire range but different pick ups would make a great deal of different. If you get some high quality pick ups.

honestly, you don't hear too much wood with the high gain pickups now days.
Shawn Lane never used high gain pickups, because he wanted to hear more completeness from the guitar.

However, bluesy pickups, well, may not have a too high gain - so maybe you should try this on a guitar with more mass.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 17 2008, 09:53 PM
Instructor
If it is squier and you wanna mod it, you definitely first need a new body. Try getting a nice solid alder body, this should be big enough job for starters.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ins187
Oct 18 2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the tips! I think im gonna put some gfs pickups in that guitar and then leave it as it is. I'll save up for a fender usa strat.

+Quote Post
shammy
Oct 23 2008, 03:25 AM
Not to be rude to anyone's suggestions,but have any of you looked at the specs, specifically the body. It is Alder, imo maybe if your not happy with your tone you could get some new pups but I have played those and Have seen a ton of youtube vids and they sound nasty and I mean that in a good way. check this spec sheet out.

Squier by Fender Classic Vibe Stratocaster 60's Electric Guitar Features:

* Body: Alder
* Finish: Polyester
* Neck: 1-Piece Maple, Modern "C" Shape
* Fingerboard: Maple, 9.5" (241 mm)
* Frets: 21, Medium Jumbo
* Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
* Nut Width: 1.65" (42 mm)
* Hardware: Chrome
* Tuning Keys: Vintage style tuning machines
* Bridge: Vintage style, 6-saddle tremolo
* Pickguard: 3-ply Tortoise shell
* Neck pickup: Custom Stratocaster pickup (AlNiCo V)
* Middle pickup: Custom Stratocaster pickup (AlNiCo V)
* Bridge pickup: Custom Stratocaster pickup (AlNiCo V)
* Pickup switching: 5-Position Blade: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Middle Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup, Position 4. Middle and Neck Pickup, Position 5. Neck Pickup
* Controls: Master Volume, Tone, Tone
* Strings: (.009 - .042) Nickel Plated Steel

Unique Features: 3-Color Sunburst over alder; 21-fret vintage tint gloss maple neck; 3-ply tortoise shell pickguard; aged plastic parts; vintage style tuning machines; vintage style, 6-saddle bridge; custom Stratocaster pickup set with AlNiCo V magnets

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 23 2008, 09:55 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Definitely new pickups will freshen up the sound ! Than you can later on buy a high end instrument...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Oct 23 2008, 09:57 AM
shammy remember there are also different quality grades of a lot of woods. Alder used in Squires is nowhere near the quality of Stratocasters made from Alder.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 23 2008, 10:08 AM
QUOTE (shammy @ Oct 23 2008, 04:25 AM) *
Not to be rude to anyone's suggestions,but have any of you looked at the specs, specifically the body. It is Alder, imo maybe if your not happy with your tone you could get some new pups but I have played those and Have seen a ton of youtube vids and they sound nasty and I mean that in a good way. check this spec sheet out.

I'm with OC, it's still a Squier not a Ferrari. The Adler pieces are likely the ones that cost a bit less. Like scrap pieces that were laminated into size f.ex.
There's always a reality behind the pricing of a guitar. In this case a €299 guitar one can't expect that because it says Adler that means it's the same quality Adler used in a way more expensive Fender. They cut the costs everywhere.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 23 2008, 12:21 PM
Instructor
Yes MickeM and OC are rigth, that alder wood is of poor quality, and it is laminated probably, often not on a straight neck-trough axe, but where ever they could glue the 2 pieces together, and whatever 2 pieces they could find. This does not help the sound of the guitar, it is not a well balanced instrument.

Pickups could be changed for some instant results, but IMO, they can raise the quality of the sound only by a fraction, they will only change the sound a bit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
shammy
Oct 24 2008, 04:00 AM
Ok I can appreciate that feedback thanks, Maybe Im being bias toward these guitars. Like I said I have played em and I think they are better than mim strats and I have 1 guitar in my collection that is a 1989 squier strat made in u.s.a and it has an alder body and I have upgraded the rest to all custom shop parts, and lindy fralin pups.. I swear on everything I love it plays better than my 2008 american standard strat.

Back to you ,, Sorry for the run on sentence. I love those classic vibes and think that maybe the pups and switch could be changed and if you can find a cheap used set of sperzel locking tuners go for it. Personally I Love your guitar man. Have FUN with it. Peace

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 24 2008, 06:59 AM
QUOTE (shammy @ Oct 24 2008, 05:00 AM) *
I have 1 guitar in my collection that is a 1989 squier strat

Some of the classic cheap-branded guitars are up to par with a real Fender. During some periods the MIJ are said to be better than US Fenders.
So that one is a keeper wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 24 2008, 04:50 PM
Instructor
Definitely a keeper. Some old 80ties squiers are now really better than USA Fenders.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:08 PM