Size Matters ?, It's about picks you sillies :D
VilleFIN
Feb 24 2012, 07:04 PM
Tone Seeker
Hey everybody !

I have been playing with small picks almost a year...

I used to play with bigger ones but I read somewhere or someone suggested to use smaller ones. Especially those dunlop jazz picks.

I have been practising lot of ap picking lately in Ben's Bushido @ here Gmc and felt that I can't do those exercises as good as I wanted to. But today I tried with bigger pick. And I felt that I can ap better. It's like I don't have to kinda "reach" in string skipping or when moving up/down on strings.

What about you ? Which size do you use ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Alex Feather
Feb 24 2012, 08:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (WeePee @ Feb 24 2012, 06:04 PM) *
Hey everybody !

I have been playing with small picks almost a year...

I used to play with bigger ones but I read somewhere or someone suggested to use smaller ones. Especially those dunlop jazz picks.

I have been practising lot of ap picking lately in Ben's Bushido @ here Gmc and felt that I can't do those exercises as good as I wanted to. But today I tried with bigger pick. And I felt that I can ap better. It's like I don't have to kinda "reach" in string skipping or when moving up/down on strings.

What about you ? Which size do you use ?

I am using tortex 1.14 sharp
I like them very much! I use to use 2mm once but switched a few years ago!
Attached Image

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 24 2012, 09:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Feb 24 2012, 07:43 PM) *
I am using tortex 1.14 sharp
I like them very much! I use to use 2mm once but switched a few years ago!
Attached Image

No way !! I didn't realise they made sharp versions of the 1.14mm. I've been sharpening the myself all this time !!! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 26 2012, 08:27 AM
GMC:er
BEN! I thought I told you about the Sharpie tortoise ages ago when I found them? I knew you played the regulars and that you were sharpening them by hand. Did I forget to mention these? I"m always bringing up vendor sharpened picks in chat smile.gif

Here are two tortoise sharp in 1.14 (a tad thin) and 1.35 (still a bit thin) I was stoked to see all these vendors FINALLY SHARPENING THEIR PICKS! smile.gif

Attached Image

Here is the JAZZ 3 XL that AZZA is talking about. I tried them as well. Bigger than the Jazz Three, but still a Nylon pick so it didn't work for me. But to each his own!

Attached Image

And finally one of my FAV picks of all time, my custom VPICK (Switchblade Buffed!) Vinnie Buffs and sharpens the crap out of them before shipping them off. They FREAKING RAWK! But they are not cheap at 4 bux each.

http://v-picks.com/productdetails.php?q=214&page=picks

Attached Image

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 24 2012, 03:03 PM) *
No way !! I didn't realise they made sharp versions of the 1.14mm. I've been sharpening the myself all this time !!! ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Feb 26 2012, 06:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 26 2012, 07:27 AM) *
BEN! I thought I told you about the Sharpie tortoise ages ago when I found them? I knew you played the regulars and that you were sharpening them by hand. Did I forget to mention these? I"m always bringing up vendor sharpened picks in chat smile.gif

Here are two tortoise sharp in 1.14 (a tad thin) and 1.35 (still a bit thin) I was stoked to see all these vendors FINALLY SHARPENING THEIR PICKS! smile.gif

Attached Image

Here is the JAZZ 3 XL that AZZA is talking about. I tried them as well. Bigger than the Jazz Three, but still a Nylon pick so it didn't work for me. But to each his own!

Attached Image

And finally one of my FAV picks of all time, my custom VPICK (Switchblade Buffed!) Vinnie Buffs and sharpens the crap out of them before shipping them off. They FREAKING RAWK! But they are not cheap at 4 bux each.

Attached Image

Very interesting! Can you explain what is the difference in between V-pick and regular Tortex?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 28 2012, 12:41 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Feb 26 2012, 12:46 PM) *
Very interesting! Can you explain what is the difference in between V-pick and regular Tortex?

Good question! The main difference is the material. I've never been able to work with nylon based picks. sad.gif But to each his own. I finally found CLAYTON brand picks (full disclosure I"m endorsed by them) and fell in love with the 1.5 which I would sharpen to a fine point. CLAYTON are made from ACETAL POLYMER which means at 1.5mm there is pretty much ZERO flex/bend so they make a very precise pick. But not very sharp from the factory! Lovely tone with Acetal! Bright, punchy, love it!
Attached Image

VPICKS (full disclosure I worked with Vinnie to design my own custom Switchblade picks) are made from acrylic and at 1.5 also have pretty much zero flex/bend. What makes the SWITCHBLADE and some of the others so cool, is that Vinnie Sharpens them! He buffed my switchblades (they typically are unbuffed) and then sharpened them at the factory. Incredible speed and precision. But, they do "chirp" a bit if played improperly.

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 26 2012, 01:08 PM) *
I've just ordered some ! 2x 1.14mm, the same thickness I'm used to and I'm also trying out the 1.35mm and the 1.5mm smile.gif

Can't wait to hear what you think and hear you play! When I switched to pointy picks, my AlTERNATE PICKING seemed to pick up amazing velocity on it's own almost. It's easier to use only the tip and choke up on the pick it seems using pointies. smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (derper @ Feb 26 2012, 03:29 PM) *
I'm ordering Todd's "Switchblade Buffed" today, because I got a Switchblade and a Venom. Both GREAT picks, but not quite what I need. Venom was too small, and Switchblade needs to be.....well, buffed! So great call on that custom model Todd!! The switchblade regular has just a bit too much resistance when playing through the strings. I imagine the buffed has slightly less "twang" on the tone also. Excited to get that one!!

Awesome! Let me know what you think about the SWITCH BUFFED smile.gif I'm a big fan of em as you might guess. I thought the same thing as you when I first played the switchblade. This should be Buffed! And pointier! smile.gif

Todd

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 28 2012, 10:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 27 2012, 11:41 PM) *
Can't wait to hear what you think and hear you play! When I switched to pointy picks, my AlTERNATE PICKING seemed to pick up amazing velocity on it's own almost. It's easier to use only the tip and choke up on the pick it seems using pointies. smile.gif

Todd

Me neither ! They should turn up today biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- WeePee   Size Matters ?   Feb 24 2012, 07:04 PM
- - Ben Higgins   I love it.. there's so much scope for sillines...   Feb 24 2012, 07:22 PM
|- - WeePee   QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 24 2012, 10:22 P...   Feb 24 2012, 07:31 PM
nnn
- - Sinisa Cekic   I tried a small one, but I simply can't get us...   Feb 24 2012, 08:21 PM
- - Azzaboi   Well I started off small and grew from a Jazz III ...   Feb 24 2012, 08:38 PM
|- - Alex Feather   QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 24 2012, 08:03 P...   Feb 26 2012, 07:30 AM
||||- - derper   No wonder Vinni said they are "selling like c...   Feb 29 2012, 01:35 AM
nnn
|||- - Alex Feather   QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 27 2012, 11:41 ...   Feb 28 2012, 08:59 PM
nnn
nnn
||- - Ben Higgins   QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 26 2012, 07:27 ...   Feb 26 2012, 07:08 PM
nnn
|- - derper   I did the same thing for years Ben, but with the ....   Feb 26 2012, 09:29 PM
nnn
nnn
- - thefireball   I have to admit I thought something else ... thi...   Feb 25 2012, 02:35 AM
- - maharzan   larger the size, better the hold. obvious!   Feb 25 2012, 02:44 AM
- - dark dude   Still using a Jazz III XL red (1.38mm). I've t...   Feb 26 2012, 06:59 PM
- - The Uncreator   I use 2.0mm picks, Dunlop Gator Grips, love 'e...   Feb 26 2012, 08:09 PM
- - Amitai Kedmi   I use the Dunlop Jazz III, got used to their size ...   Feb 26 2012, 09:11 PM
- - Sensible Jones   At the moment I'm using these 'Jason Vorhe...   Feb 27 2012, 12:23 PM
|- - Alex Feather   QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Feb 27 2012, 11:2...   Feb 27 2012, 05:51 PM
|- - Sensible Jones   QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Feb 27 2012, 04:51 ...   Feb 27 2012, 05:54 PM
|- - Alex Feather   QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Feb 27 2012, 04:5...   Feb 27 2012, 06:01 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - Olivier777   Yet again an interesting topic covering a very imp...   Feb 29 2012, 05:52 PM
|- - Ben Higgins   QUOTE (Olivier777 @ Feb 29 2012, 04:52 PM...   Feb 29 2012, 07:05 PM
|- - Alex Feather   QUOTE (Olivier777 @ Feb 29 2012, 04:52 PM...   Mar 1 2012, 03:24 AM
nnn
- - Ivan Milenkovic   Blue one in the lower right corner   Feb 29 2012, 07:23 PM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:04 PM