Audio Interface & Mics
Vaidya
Aug 15 2011, 04:48 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey guys

I'm planning to start recording some stuff soon and the thing thats holding me back is an audio interface.Since I have no previous experience,
I dont know what kind of one I should go for.
I'm basically looking for something which has inputs for 2 guitars,one microphone and a headphone output.Preferably something under $250.

And I also decided to get 2 microphones,the Shure SM57 and SM58.I read a lot of good reviews about them.What do you guys think?
Are there any better mics in the same price range?

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 15 2011, 08:24 AM
Instructor
Hey Vaidya,

I can't answer the audio interface question but I think we would all universally agree that the SM57 and 58 are ultra reliable, good performing mics for that money. They're always referred to as the 'industry standard' which should tell you what they're capable of. The 57 is widely used as an instrument mic and the 58 is very poular for vocals, which you probably already know smile.gif

The other guys might have some more knowledge to share.. guys ? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 15 2011, 04:46 PM
Instructor
I would go for the M-Audio Fast Track Pro unless you want to connect 2 guitars and 1 mic at the same time. It includes 2 inputs that can be used for mic or for instruments. If you need to connect everything at the same time you need a bigger one but It will be more expensive. It also includes a headphones output.
In that range price both mics are the best that you can get. SM57 is good for instruments and SM58 is good for vocals. Getting a condenser mic instead of one or those could be a good idea too. Since SM57 and SM58 are similar, getting a condenser could give you more possibilities.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 15 2011, 06:01 PM
GMC:er
Those mics will probably last you the rest of your life. They are killer mics to have in your kit and practically indestructible, good call there smile.gif

The M Audio Fast Track is a great unit for the price. Great little preamps, two channels, etc. But be aware that it's a USB 1.1 device so the latency (lag between playing a note and hearing it) will be a bit more than on a USB 2.0 device. Here is a link to a list of USB 2.0 audio interfaces that compares features on each.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/audio_interface_...rison_chart.htm

M Audio makes a cheaper unit (one input) called the Fast Track MKII that is USB 2.0 and goes for a street price of about $99. But it's just got a single input and the preamps are not quite as nice. But for the price, it's a great way to get started.

For about $200 street price you could also look at the 8 channel tascam unit. Good pre's and USB 2.0.

http://tascam.com/product/us-800/specifications/

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Vaidya
Aug 15 2011, 07:22 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for the advice guys smile.gif

One more thing,does anybody have experience with the Line6 POD Studio UX2? This seems to have some good reviews out there and it seems to have sufficient I/O which I need.It costs $199.
How does it compare to the tascam us-800 which Todd suggested?

Thanks

This post has been edited by Vaidya: Aug 15 2011, 07:24 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 15 2011, 09:01 PM
Instructor
I would advise against POD UX2 device. It is a very good device for starting up, but it has some downsides. You can connect two guitars and two mics, but you will be able to record only 2 inputs out of those 4. Other downside is that POD Studio devices in general have low performance with other software modelers than POD Farm.

In 250$ price range, you won't find an interface with 4 mic preamps. First devices that has 4 pres is Presonus AudioBox 44, and it costs 300$:

presonus audiobox 44

Now, ask yourself do you really need the extra mic inputs? It maybe wiser to get 4 channel interface and one mic (shure sm58), and then get another when the time comes. Let us know about what you were planning to do with the device, this will help us recommend something better perhaps.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 15 2011, 09:02 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 18 2011, 02:53 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 15 2011, 04:01 PM) *
In 250$ price range, you won't find an interface with 4 mic preamps. First devices that has 4 pres is Presonus AudioBox 44, and it costs 300$:

presonus audiobox 44

This is a KILLER unit. Four NICE preamps, USB 2.0! Presonnus guts, etc. It's all there. This unit
is superior to the 8 channel device I mentioned by a good bit. It's a bit more money but if you can manage it, it's well worth it.
The 8 channel I suggested is a great box to get you started for (The only unit I've ever seen with 6 Mic Preamps for street price of $200), but for a bit more you can have 4 presonus preamps which are just plain better than the ones in the tascam. Good suggestion Ivan.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 18 2011, 02:58 AM

+Quote Post
JamPac
Aug 18 2011, 03:51 AM
The SM57 is always a killer mic, but if you want to record vocals I wouldn't recommend a SM58. It's a great performance mic, but a large-diaphragm condenser microphone would probably be a better fit for your average vocal recording needs.
I can't give you any recommendations within your price range right now, but I think there might be something available from Audio Technica, Rode or AKG. But you need an audio interface with phantom power to use a condenser microphone.

This post has been edited by JamPac: Aug 18 2011, 03:51 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 18 2011, 04:43 AM
QUOTE (JamPac @ Aug 17 2011, 10:51 PM) *
The SM57 is always a killer mic, but if you want to record vocals I wouldn't recommend a SM58. It's a great performance mic, but a large-diaphragm condenser microphone would probably be a better fit for your average vocal recording needs.
I can't give you any recommendations within your price range right now, but I think there might be something available from Audio Technica, Rode or AKG. But you need an audio interface with phantom power to use a condenser microphone.

If you are looking for a good, cheap, condenser mic, I"d say take a look at the MXL 990. You can get one for under $75 with
shockmount and case! I did a post reviewing my MXL 990 complete with recording samples.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=501053

A lot of folks use the SM58 for live vocals, it's just a bullet proof mic. But in the studio, a good condenser mic is a great thing
to have. Even a decent one gives vocals a great sound. Also great for accoustic guitar.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
JamPac
Aug 19 2011, 05:00 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 18 2011, 03:43 AM) *
If you are looking for a good, cheap, condenser mic, I"d say take a look at the MXL 990. You can get one for under $75 with
shockmount and case!

@Vaidya That's a pretty nice deal, so I would definitely check it out!

But I'm wondering if someone knows how it compares to the MXL 9000? It's a tube mic for just a few bucks more.

+Quote Post
Michael AC
Aug 19 2011, 05:06 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I use a Shure Beta 57A to mic my amp and always get compliments from the guys in the sound booth...

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 19 2011, 06:14 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 17 2011, 10:43 PM) *
shockmount and case! I did a post reviewing my MXL 990 complete with recording samples.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=501053

A lot of folks use the SM58 for live vocals, it's just a bullet proof mic. But in the studio, a good condenser mic is a great thing
to have. Even a decent one gives vocals a great sound. Also great for accoustic guitar.

Attached Image

Wow todd that mic looks awesome for the price i will check it out smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 19 2011, 08:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JamPac @ Aug 19 2011, 06:00 AM) *
@Vaidya That's a pretty nice deal, so I would definitely check it out!

But I'm wondering if someone knows how it compares to the MXL 9000? It's a tube mic for just a few bucks more.

I'm guessing it's a decent mic, but you'll have to change the tube, which raises the costs a bit.

If you are looking in that price range, Rode NT1 would be a safe bet, you can go wrong with that one, everybody uses it for home production and are very satisfied. With Rode you will get character.

Are you still considering 4 channel interfaces? What would be the basic function of your studio? Could you share these thoughts with us. There are lots of people here who are already having their own home studios, so their experience regarding the whole function of it (and how much it pays out) will be valuable to you if you are just starting out.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 19 2011, 08:57 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vaidya
Aug 21 2011, 11:30 AM
Learning Roadie
Well,due to some unexpected expenses I had to sacrifice on one of the items.
I got the SM57 and 58s.But I only had enough left for a second hand UX2 which I got from a friend for a decent price.
I was just looking for a basic set-up for recording,nothing too advanced and expensive.

Anyway,thanks to all you guys for the valuable feedback and suggestions.It helped learn quite a bit about different interfaces and what to look out for next time I go for a new one smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 21 2011, 01:35 PM
Instructor
Glad to help mate, have fun with your new setup! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:54 PM