Times You Shouldn't Laugh !
Ben Higgins
Feb 3 2012, 11:01 AM
Instructor
Hey Guys, I'm sure we all know what it feels like when youre in a situation and you're trying so hard not to laugh about something because it would be innapropriate. biggrin.gif

The last time I encountered this was at Karate. We were just going through our warm up stretches and someone at the other end...umm.. farted. I was seriously trying so hard to hold it together. The fact that nobody else was laughing made it worse. In the end I had to tell myself off in my mind with some quite stern language so I wouldn't explode with laughter !

What were the hardest times for you, trying not to laugh in the wrong situation ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 3 2012, 12:46 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
A couple of different ones:

Years ago when I was being trained in a studio my mentor went through a long lecture about how important it was to check and double check settings, gain structure and so on. He then spent 1/2 an hour 'adjusting' the EQ on a track before he realised that he hadn't turned the damned thing on biggrin.gif .

And a second again from years ago. My internal examiner for my PhD viva bluntly questioned me about why I had done a particular thing. The lead examiner stopped me before I could answer, looked at the internal and said, 'If you don't understand why he did it you also won't understand his answer so lets just move on.' A little later the internal asked me a question, I answered and he then asked the same question again. The lead examiner again stopped me and said, 'He's answered your question fully. As it's not his fault that you didn't understand his answer we'll move on.' I thought it was best not to laugh at the internal biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 3 2012, 02:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Feb 3 2012, 11:46 AM) *
And a second again from years ago. My internal examiner for my PhD viva bluntly questioned me about why I had done a particular thing. The lead examiner stopped me before I could answer, looked at the internal and said, 'If you don't understand why he did it you also won't understand his answer so lets just move on.' A little later the internal asked me a question, I answered and he then asked the same question again. The lead examiner again stopped me and said, 'He's answered your question fully. As it's not his fault that you didn't understand his answer we'll move on.' I thought it was best not to laugh at the internal biggrin.gif

Haha, excellent. It's always nice to be defended by someone ! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 3 2012, 03:27 PM
Instructor
hahaha this happened to many times I have an easy smile! tongue.gif

Doing musicians casting/testing could put you in this situation very often. I remember that some years ago we were looking for a singer form my power metal band called Damnation. Once it came a guy that sang bad and with a very weak falsetto, so when he was recording his testing take it was so difficult to avoid laughing... I feel bad abut it because, I think that it denotes a lack of respect to do it but sincerely it was impossible! We were with the drummer watching each other and wishing to disappear from there!!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 3 2012, 03:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 3 2012, 02:27 PM) *
hahaha this happened to many times I have an easy smile! tongue.gif

Doing musicians casting/testing could put you in this situation very often. I remember that some years ago we were looking for a singer form my power metal band called Damnation. Once it came a guy that sang bad and with a very weak falsetto, so when he was recording his testing take it was so difficult to avoid laughing... I feel bad abut it because, I think that it denotes a lack of respect to do it but sincerely it was impossible! We were with the drummer watching each other and wishing to disappear from there!!

Oh man, I know that feeling.. we once auditioned a drummer and it was like that, trying not to laugh. It sounded like broken machinery. I feel bad in those situations but we're only human.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 3 2012, 03:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 3 2012, 11:37 AM) *
Oh man, I know that feeling.. we once auditioned a drummer and it was like that, trying not to laugh. It sounded like broken machinery. I feel bad in those situations but we're only human.

yes! I had a similar experience with a drummer that we trying in the beginning of Cirse, we were in the rehearsing room and we didn't know how to avoid laughing. sad.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 3 2012, 03:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 3 2012, 02:39 PM) *
yes! I had a similar experience with a drummer that we trying in the beginning of Cirse, we were in the rehearsing room and we didn't know how to avoid laughing. sad.gif

Yeah it's such an awkward situation. I had to use my hair to hide behind.. just looked down at my fretboard !! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Feb 3 2012, 03:54 PM
GMC:er
I've had quite a few incidences as a Guitar Tech, especially when someone asks how much a set-up and re-string is! I tell them and they say 'HOW MUCH???? I'll go and do it myself!!!'
It's hard not to laugh when they get in touch a couple of days later and say 'Can you do that set-up for me, I seem to have done something wrong?'
Or any kind of repair work, pickup replacement etc!!!

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Feb 3 2012, 04:00 PM
Learning Rock Star
I have a couple of similar stories.

Needing a drummer in my old band, we were contacted by this guy in his forties, and we were all in our mid twenties.
He had a different ambition, liked a different kind of music, so it was doomed anyway, but we first found this out at the audition.
The thing that made us almost laugh, was that he came on his motorcycle, in his biker pants, and the first thing after shaking hands this "old" guy was stripping to his underwear, to get out of the hot clothes.

I was once a "test subject" at an anatomy exam.
I was less than half naked, actually only wearing shorts, and they were pulled down for my female costudent to find my tailbone.
Another female student was overlooking the exam, and we had a female teacher and female examiner.
Quite a strange situation for me, but also for the one being examined, we had never had to find the tailbone on others during classes.
She was quite nervous, and had problems finding all what she was asked, and complained something like: Oh it's all this clothes making it hard.
I really didn't think too much clothes was the problem, and this strange situation had me really close to laughing, but I didn't want to freak her out, so I just chuckeled a bit I think

And I admit, some people falling or doing a stunt, can sometimes look so very funny except it might hurt the one involved pretty bad.

--------------------

+Quote Post
llibach
Feb 3 2012, 04:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
My little boy who's two was getting ready to go to the bath last week when my partners parents were over when he grabbed his little boy's toy lifted it up pointed to his two dangly bits under and asked in front of everyone "Dad what's this?". Coulden't help but burst out laughing.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Learning Roadie
There have been many times in church something funny was said and try not to bust out laughing. We study old historic events in the bible at times, and there are so many funny sounding names. There was the Persian King Smerdis, we pronounce "smur-dees." That just sounds sooo funny to my little brother and me.

Even news reporters laugh at the wrong time.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 3 2012, 11:40 AM) *
Yeah it's such an awkward situation. I had to use my hair to hide behind.. just looked down at my fretboard !! laugh.gif

hahahah great trick but I can't do it! tongue.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 3 2012, 06:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (llibach @ Feb 3 2012, 03:53 PM) *
My little boy who's two was getting ready to go to the bath last week when my partners parents were over when he grabbed his little boy's toy lifted it up pointed to his two dangly bits under and asked in front of everyone "Dad what's this?". Coulden't help but burst out laughing.

Just admit it.. it wasn't your son was it ? It was you smile.gif

It's ok, we all do it from time to time !

+Quote Post
llibach
Feb 3 2012, 06:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Feb 3 2012, 05:19 PM) *
Just admit it.. it wasn't your son was it ? It was you smile.gif

It's ok, we all do it from time to time !

maybe but not in front of the inlaws thats just wrong biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:02 PM