3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Chris S. Home Studio Bootcamp!, Blood, Sweat, and E.Q.!!!!
Chris S.
Nov 23 2014, 08:20 PM
Learning Roadie
If I zip the project will you have problems opening it correctly since I used a couple of plugins that you may not have?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 23 2014, 08:30 PM
GMC:er
Always a possible issue, but I'm game if you are smile.gif

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Nov 23 2014, 03:20 PM) *
If I zip the project will you have problems opening it correctly since I used a couple of plugins that you may not have?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Nov 23 2014, 08:44 PM
Learning Roadie
Link to the Dropbox file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j77hr0xizkj9l3q/Upbeat.zip?dl=0

P.S. Saw a post of yours in the Chill Out section, always good meet a fellow Libertarian wink.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 24 2014, 04:52 AM
Cool! Thanks for the link smile.gif I'll load this up and see if I can figure out why the atutomation on the VST is being wonky!

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Nov 23 2014, 03:44 PM) *
Link to the Dropbox file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j77hr0xizkj9l3q/Upbeat.zip?dl=0

P.S. Saw a post of yours in the Chill Out section, always good meet a fellow Libertarian wink.gif

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Nov 24 2014, 12:38 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks Todd - I sure do appreciate all the help! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Nov 26 2014, 06:11 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey Todd,

I just saw this one too:

I have no clue what he is saying but I think it sounds great! It's a 15W tube head with an internal dummy load, speaker cab simulation built in right before the output and a USB port for direct recording into your DAW.

Definitely gotta some GAS for this one!

EDIT: the one in the video isn't USB but they have the same version with USB for $100 more.

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Nov 27 2014, 06:22 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 29 2014, 12:20 AM
This a a KILLER unit smile.gif It's got all the tone from the BIG IRON laney but is much easier on price and much less weight to lug around. You could easily mount it in a small rack case to safely transport it and keep it protected. I must say I want one too!!!

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Nov 26 2014, 01:11 AM) *
Hey Todd,

I just saw this one too:

I have no clue what he is saying but I think it sounds great! It's a 15W tube head with an internal dummy load, speaker cab simulation built in right before the output and a USB port for direct recording into your DAW.

Definitely gotta some GAS for this one!

EDIT: the one in the video isn't USB but they have the same version with USB for $100 more.

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Dec 1 2014, 04:24 AM
Learning Roadie
Definitely on my list!

Another silly question but how are active monitors powered?

For the JBL monitors that I'm going to get in January - I understand that I would plug them into the left and right outputs of the eleven rack but where do they draw power - from an outlet? Or do I need something else?

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 2 2014, 06:38 AM
No silly questions! Only silly instructors smile.gif

"ACTIVE" Monitors have their own built in amplification. "PASSIVE" Monitors require external amplification. That's all there is to it smile.gif If they are active you have to plug them in to wall/outlet/etc.

You can use the 11 rack as your primary input/output device in addition to using it for guitar tones. It makes a great centerpiece to any recording studio and is not much more expensive than the plastic little boxes most of us start out with for our home studio audio interfaces and it will do HD audio if needed smile.gif

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Nov 30 2014, 11:24 PM) *
Definitely on my list!

Another silly question but how are active monitors powered?

For the JBL monitors that I'm going to get in January - I understand that I would plug them into the left and right outputs of the eleven rack but where do they draw power - from an outlet? Or do I need something else?

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Dec 22 2014, 09:29 PM
Learning Roadie
Hello again!

So I've decided to stick with my Casio CDP as my midi controller but I have run into another noob question:

Ok so it has a MIDI Out AND a MIDI In...

So if I use the MIDI out I can obviously run it into Reaper and use it to control my VSTis.

If I ran another USB to MIDI cable from Reaper back into the MIDI In will the sound of the VSTi come through the speakers of the Casio?

Thanks mate!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 22 2014, 11:01 PM
Hmm.. Well, have you done any tests? Also, are you using a midi to usb converter? Typically you would only connect one midi port for what you are doing if you are using the casio just as a controller.

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Dec 22 2014, 04:29 PM) *
Hello again!

So I've decided to stick with my Casio CDP as my midi controller but I have run into another noob question:

Ok so it has a MIDI Out AND a MIDI In...

So if I use the MIDI out I can obviously run it into Reaper and use it to control my VSTis.

If I ran another USB to MIDI cable from Reaper back into the MIDI In will the sound of the VSTi come through the speakers of the Casio?

Thanks mate!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 7 2015, 07:12 AM
Did you find the fade fix? Also, is this project in REAPER? If so I can open it and take a look smile.gif

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Nov 21 2014, 07:57 PM) *
Thanks Todd!

I've been watching a lot of youtube videos and reading through some threads here to get some tips.

On the City lights track I just posted, there is a synth string VSTi and a synth drum VSTi that I use.

I set both of those tracks to fade out but when you listen to the track everything fades out but it sounds like those two tracks won't fade out - so while the guitar and everything is slowly fading out the synth drums and synth strings stay at a consistent level, do you have any ideas why this may be?

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Mar 8 2015, 01:37 AM
Learning Roadie
Yeah it's a REAPER project - it's weird because I will be using a synth VST, and certain VSTs will fade out with the track while others won't. It almost seems like it's not the VST but any delay or phaser that is built into the synth sound is what shines through while the rest fades out.

Stumped.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 8 2015, 07:48 PM
Are you using an FX from reaper? If so they will ring out after the synth fades. You can automate teh entire track to go quiet. I'll upload a version of your project after todays lesson.

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Mar 7 2015, 08:37 PM) *
Yeah it's a REAPER project - it's weird because I will be using a synth VST, and certain VSTs will fade out with the track while others won't. It almost seems like it's not the VST but any delay or phaser that is built into the synth sound is what shines through while the rest fades out.

Stumped.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 8 2015, 10:59 PM
I opened the project and the fades seemed to work. is it possible that your fx are happening inside your vst synth? Also, can you post a sound cloud example and embed it here?

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Mar 8 2015, 10:59 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 8 2015, 06:48 PM) *
Are you using an FX from reaper? If so they will ring out after the synth fades. You can automate teh entire track to go quiet. I'll upload a version of your project after todays lesson.

Usually it's built right into the Syntg VST. Like a certain sound will have a control to add delay or reverb - but I generally only add the Reaper FXs to guitar tracks.

EDIT: we posted at the same time haha, yeah it's in the VST itself, I will upload a soundcloud file when I get home from work

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Mar 8 2015, 11:01 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 9 2015, 05:01 AM
IF it's in the VST it may keep getting signal despite being faded down. One way around that is to "bounce in place" and essentially bake the fx/sound on to a new track as an actual sound file. Then that can be faded down and the original track can be muted.

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Mar 8 2015, 05:59 PM) *
Usually it's built right into the Syntg VST. Like a certain sound will have a control to add delay or reverb - but I generally only add the Reaper FXs to guitar tracks.

EDIT: we posted at the same time haha, yeah it's in the VST itself, I will upload a soundcloud file when I get home from work

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Mar 9 2015, 05:18 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 9 2015, 04:01 AM) *
IF it's in the VST it may keep getting signal despite being faded down. One way around that is to "bounce in place" and essentially bake the fx/sound on to a new track as an actual sound file. Then that can be faded down and the original track can be muted.

So basically render that track as a wav file and then use that instead of the MIDI track?

I can see how that would fix it - I'll give it a shot!

Thanks biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 10 2015, 04:24 AM
Yup!! smile.gif You still have the original track that you can change as needed, just mute it smile.gif

QUOTE (Chris S. @ Mar 9 2015, 12:18 AM) *
So basically render that track as a wav file and then use that instead of the MIDI track?

I can see how that would fix it - I'll give it a shot!

Thanks biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Chris S.
May 1 2015, 03:41 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey Todd - two quick questions for ya!

In Reaper - when looking at a track is there a way to change the volume of a certain section of that track, rather than having to use a whole separate track?

Ex: Have the rhythm guitar track drop 2-ish DB once the lead comes in?

Also, can you only apply an FX to a certain piece of the track or does the FX always apply to the entire track?

Thanks boss man cool.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:51 PM