2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Wiki Help & Guidelines
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 2 2007, 04:02 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Welcome to the GMC Wiki board!

As an author you have been hand picked to add content to the GMC Wiki - congratulations!

This post is an attempt to give some guidelines for articles - how to approach writing them and what is/is not good practice. It will evolve over time as we learn more about the best ways of using the Wiki. Please feel free to add comments and suggestions, and I will add hem into the guidelines.

The link to the wiki is:

http://guitarmasterclass.net/wiki

Wiki Tutorial started by Maria:

Wiki Tutorial

Thanks a lot Maria!

Now for the actual guidelines:

1. Appropriate Content.At all times, content of the Wiki must be suitable for its audience - that means adhering to the applicable guidelines in the general GMC forum - the link is here.

2. Bias/Even handedness. We are writing an encyclopedia here, and should attempt to be even handed in how we present facts. When writing wiki articles it is okay to include opinion based information but only if it meets 3 important criteria.

1.) It should be relevant and important.

2.) It should have general consensus. Which means it shouldn't just be one person's opinion but a an opinion widely held to be true by a larger group of individuals.

3.) State an opinion as such. Often times people will say things like "Tube amps are regarded as better than solid state amps..." But that is misleading. That sentence makes it seem like there may be some study or proof to back that statement up. A better way to write it is "A large portion of musicians have expressed that tube amps have an overall improved tonal quality over their solid state counterparts though different benefits exist for each." Another option is to just use the word 'opinion' like "It is many musicians opinion that Tube amps are better than solid state amps."

3. Stub articles/Links. An important part of a Wiki is its extensibility. You may want to write an argumen about for instance pickups. You want to assume that everyone know what a pickup is and the pros and cons of humbuckers and single coils. that is great for your article, and you go ahead and write it that way. But we can do a little better than that. The first time you mention the word pickup, and you feel that there is a whole level of detail that could be added, make it a link and it will appear in red in the Wiki. This means that the text doesn;t exist but someone can come along later and fill it out. By making the link you are acknowledging the need for an article, and inviting others to fill it in - its a great way of increasing collaboration and providing a program of work for others to pick up. So, as you are writing your article, think a little about the terms you use, and whether or not they are suitable for other articles. Another way of soing this is to actually create the article but leave it mostly blank for someone else to fill in. this is called a Stub Article.

4. Editing. We want the Wiki to have a consistent look and feel. Everyone has a different writing style, many people don't have English as a first language. That isn't important - it is the content we are after. So, take your best shot, and I will edit new articles for language, grammar and consistency.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Fran: May 5 2009, 04:30 PM
Reason for edit: Change in the link to the wiki tutorial

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Dec 3 2007, 12:56 AM
GMC:er
I would add under the "Bias / Even-handedness" topic to just keep your own opinion out of it. When writing wiki articles it is okay to include opinion based information but only if it meets 3 important criteria.

1.) It should be relevant and important.

2.) It should have general consensus. Which means it shouldn't just be one person's opinion but a an opinion widely held to be true by a larger group of individuals.

3.) State an opinion as such. Often times people will say things like "Tube amps are regarded as better than solid state amps..." But that is misleading. That sentence makes it seem like there may be some study or proof to back that statement up. A better way to write it is "A large portion of musicians have expressed that tube amps have an overall improved tonal quality over their solid state counterparts though different benefits exist for each." Another option is to just use the word 'opinion' like "It is many musicians opinion that Tube amps are better than solid state amps."

Otherwise I like the guidelines! Good job. biggrin.gif

Hardtail

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 3 2007, 02:07 AM
Thanks - I liked your version a lot better than mine so I replaced it smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 4 2007, 08:31 PM
Lets go fishing!
Good work Guys. PS, has Andrew turned into a Teletubbie? dry.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Dec 5 2007, 12:11 AM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Dec 4 2007, 02:31 PM) *

Matt - its a moderator thing ... I am sworn to secrecy unsure.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Dec 5 2007, 02:36 AM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Dec 4 2007, 02:31 PM) *

Lol Matt I am wondering the same thing laugh.gif

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 5 2007, 08:51 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Dec 4 2007, 11:11 PM) *
Matt - its a moderator thing ... I am sworn to secrecy unsure.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif I hope you know that Tinky Winky was the , err "Flamboyant" one ! laugh.gif laugh.gif wink.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
superize
May 15 2008, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
How do you i start writing an arcticle??? I hav elooked and looked but i cant find anything

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 15 2008, 11:14 PM
Have a look at this - I'll try to write something a little better soon ...

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...ipedia:Tutorial

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
superize
May 15 2008, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I cant edit the page it said that. The action you have requested is limited to users in one of the groups Members, Root Admin, Administrators, GMC Instructor, Wiki-sysops, GMC Senior, GMC Wiki:er.

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Canis
May 15 2008, 11:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
Are you logged in?
Or maybe the Student Instructor group isn't added yet..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nick325
May 15 2008, 11:26 PM
QUOTE (superize @ May 15 2008, 06:20 PM) *
I cant edit the page it said that. The action you have requested is limited to users in one of the groups Members, Root Admin, Administrators, GMC Instructor, Wiki-sysops, GMC Senior, GMC Wiki:er.

that happened to me once but i tried it a little later and it worked fine

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 15 2008, 11:51 PM
I'm amazed after today to be honest. It seems like the most confusing thing ever but it actually does it all for you. All you need to do is write the thing. Whoever designed the thing is a genius and I love it.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
superize
May 16 2008, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I still cant write anything. Gets the same message as before

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 16 2008, 10:09 AM
GMC Founder
This has been fixed - and works for Superize now! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
superize
May 16 2008, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I need help with the article i am writing now.....

I am writing a dicography and i want the listing to be like this

But even tho i have write like that it shows like this in my article

1. 2. 3.

And how do i edit the page at the top becuase i cant find anything

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 16 2008, 06:45 PM
hey. After every item add <br>

So

1. Hop<br>
2. Jump<br>
3. Skip<br>
4. Bounce

etc.

Hope this helps smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
superize
May 16 2008, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
That helped thanks what about the top of the page how do i edit that

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 17 2008, 01:02 PM
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ May 16 2008, 01:45 PM) *
hey. After every item add <br>

So

1. Hop<br>
2. Jump<br>
3. Skip<br>
4. Bounce

etc.

Hope this helps smile.gif

Thats one way, another way is to use a '#' symbol - the wiki interprets this as a numbered list as follows:

# First point
# second point
# 3rd point
## 1st sub point of 3rd point
## 2nd sub point of 3rd point
# 4th point

etc.

Superize, I don;t understand what you mean about editing the top? Do you mean the banner? That can't be changed ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
superize
May 17 2008, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ May 17 2008, 02:02 PM) *
Thats one way, another way is to use a '#' symbol - the wiki interprets this as a numbered list as follows:

# First point
# second point
# 3rd point
## 1st sub point of 3rd point
## 2nd sub point of 3rd point
# 4th point

etc.

Superize, I don;t understand what you mean about editing the top? Do you mean the banner? That can't be changed ...

If you lokk at my artical Andrew on the top i cant get the latin part away

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:11 PM