2 Pages V   1 2 >  
My Band's First Demo
SindreD
Feb 19 2014, 03:22 PM
GMC:er
My band Hypermass recorded our first demo a couple of months back, and I thought that this would be a great place to get proper feedback! When you create music, it's really hard (for me anyways) to put yourself in the audience's shoes, so I often get kind of lost in my own mind when writing something. With that being said, the band consists of 5 people all contributing equally much, so it's not a solo project with a backing band! Anyway, I would really appreciate some constructive feedback on this! smile.gif

As of genre, I'm not really sure, something Metal. Please let me know what genre we play!

This is the first song off our 4-track demo, and it's also the one we're most satisfied with, so here you go biggrin.gif

https://soundcloud.com/sundinos-parteybule/01-amidst-the-eclipse

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 19 2014, 04:21 PM
Instructor
Hi SindreD! Congrats on your first demo! I think that this is a very good first step in you musical career. I listened to the whole piece and having in mind that this is your first material the balance is positive. Here I go with some comments that come to mind:

- I like the groovy sections and the powerful vocals.

- Good guitar work!

- Style? Some kind of Extreme Metal with progressive influences.

- The overall mix could sound better. Have in mind to find maybe a friend who helps with the mix / mastering to give it more life. Drums could sound more real and deeper.

- I have the feeling that some parts are a bit repetitive and that cutting these sections, the track could be shorter, more effective and easier to hear complete.

These are my thoughts, I hope that it helps! Keep on the hard work and enjoying music. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
SindreD
Feb 19 2014, 04:46 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 19 2014, 04:21 PM) *
Hi SindreD! Congrats on your first demo! I think that this is a very good first step in you musical career. I listened to the whole piece and having in mind that this is your first material the balance is positive. Here I go with some comments that come to mind:

- I like the groovy sections and the powerful vocals.

- Good guitar work!

- Style? Some kind of Extreme Metal with progressive influences.

- The overall mix could sound better. Have in mind to find maybe a friend who helps with the mix / mastering to give it more life. Drums could sound more real and deeper.

- I have the feeling that some parts are a bit repetitive and that cutting these sections, the track could be shorter, more effective and easier to hear complete.

These are my thoughts, I hope that it helps! Keep on the hard work and enjoying music. smile.gif

Thanks for the awesome feedback, my friend! biggrin.gif I agree that some of our stuff gets repetitive, that seems to be our main problem. The mix isn't really something to write home about, I know. This was just made to get us up and running, getting gigs in our local area and so forth. But the drums do seem a little dull and plastic. tongue.gif

We're well into writing an EP at the moment, which will probably be more consistent and technical than our previous work! We're all going to be spending the next year at a "sound" course at a folk high school, in which we will be spending all of our time jamming, recording and producing so we're really looking forward to it! Thanks again for the response, man! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 19 2014, 11:57 PM
I really dig the intro on the first song smile.gif Although, four bars of it would probably be plenty. You can start to lose folks if you run a bit for 16 bars with no vocals. Some other folks will love it of course which is where you have to find the happy medium.

The part with the guitar harmonies about 4:27 sounds like it should be the first chorus section after an intro and bridge. It's a bit buried in the back as is. Your arrangements are your own of course, but I'd say try using that section as a chorus earlier and maybe come back to it a couple times before the solo section and once more as a Coda.

Are the drums programmed or triggered? The kick is what I'd expect it to sound like but the snare doesn't seem to vary in terms of strikes unless the drummer is just amazingly consistent.

The audio quality will work for a demo to be sure smile.gif my first demo's sounded nowhere near this good to be honest. One thing I ran in to when I first started gigging (assuming your in highschool as you mentioned it your reply) was that since I was only 18 I was not technically allowed in the bars we were playing in. Our manager had to fib about our age as none of the bar owners would hire a band that young. So if you plan on bars maybe fib that you are all 21 smile.gif

P.S. I really liked this one smile.gif Had better dynamics and range and seemed to sound a bit better?

P.P.S. Are you singing some songs in Norwegian?

https://soundcloud.com/sundinos-parteybule/en-endel-s-ferd

Todd

QUOTE (SindreD @ Feb 19 2014, 09:22 AM) *
My band Hypermass recorded our first demo a couple of months back, and I thought that this would be a great place to get proper feedback! When you create music, it's really hard (for me anyways) to put yourself in the audience's shoes, so I often get kind of lost in my own mind when writing something. With that being said, the band consists of 5 people all contributing equally much, so it's not a solo project with a backing band! Anyway, I would really appreciate some constructive feedback on this! smile.gif

As of genre, I'm not really sure, something Metal. Please let me know what genre we play!

This is the first song off our 4-track demo, and it's also the one we're most satisfied with, so here you go biggrin.gif

https://soundcloud.com/sundinos-parteybule/01-amidst-the-eclipse

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 20 2014, 12:07 AM

+Quote Post
SindreD
Feb 20 2014, 05:06 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 19 2014, 11:57 PM) *
I really dig the intro on the first song smile.gif Although, four bars of it would probably be plenty. You can start to lose folks if you run a bit for 16 bars with no vocals. Some other folks will love it of course which is where you have to find the happy medium.

Yup, I agree that the intro is waaay too long! We will be re-recording it and will definitely make a few changes, although I think the song structure will pretty much be the same, can't say for sure though!

The part with the guitar harmonies about 4:27 sounds like it should be the first chorus section after an intro and bridge. It's a bit buried in the back as is. Your arrangements are your own of course, but I'd say try using that section as a chorus earlier and maybe come back to it a couple times before the solo section and once more as a Coda.

I know what you mean, but because the first part of the track is in D and the second part in F#, it may sound a little, I don't know, out of place if we constantly switch between the two! I will definitely take it into consideration though biggrin.gif

Are the drums programmed or triggered? The kick is what I'd expect it to sound like but the snare doesn't seem to vary in terms of strikes unless the drummer is just amazingly consistent.

No programming or triggering, we were pretty amazed when our drummer started recording! tongue.gif May be more interesting if he does something a little different once in a while though!

The audio quality will work for a demo to be sure smile.gif my first demo's sounded nowhere near this good to be honest. One thing I ran in to when I first started gigging (assuming your in highschool as you mentioned it your reply) was that since I was only 18 I was not technically allowed in the bars we were playing in. Our manager had to fib about our age as none of the bar owners would hire a band that young. So if you plan on bars maybe fib that you are all 21 smile.gif

Thanks, man! smile.gif We're all turning 19 this year, and have actually already done a few gigs in bars. Fortunately, we have been very lucky with the bar staff! As long as we stay away from the booze they don't seem to have any problems with it biggrin.gif

P.S. I really liked this one smile.gif Had better dynamics and range and seemed to sound a bit better?

P.P.S. Are you singing some songs in Norwegian?

https://soundcloud.com/sundinos-parteybule/en-endel-s-ferd

Todd

Thanks man, really appreciate that you took the time to check out some of our other songs as well! That was a track I mostly wrote myself, and I tried to focus more on the songwriting aspect as opposed to the technical aspect of it. Because it's kinda more in the Norwegian Black Metal vein, we figured it'd be cool to write some Norwegian lyrics to it as well. smile.gif That's currently our only song in Norwegian. We may write more songs in Norwegian though, can't really tell as of yet. I personally love it when bands write songs in the mother tongue!

Thanks again for the constructive feedback!

This post has been edited by SindreD: Feb 20 2014, 05:58 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 20 2014, 08:45 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif

Congrats on getting things done! It's always amazing to finally find yourself having the songs ready to be shared with people smile.gif

I agree with Gabi about the mix/master and the fact that the structure can be shrunken in order to become more meaningful. I noticed that this is usually a characteristic that all of us have in the beginning - we tend to make tunes too big in respect of lengthiness and forget about staying true to the essence.

What's the song structure? Have you guys started out from a specific pre-thought structure, such as A B A B C B for instance and then got to the actual form?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 21 2014, 06:40 AM
That second tune does have a bit of a black metal thing going on smile.gif It also has other elements that all come together to make a really cool sounding track. The way you blended bits of Melodic/Traditional Death/hints of prog Metal in together works well smile.gif

The Norwegian lyrics are a great idea. I think it's very cool when bands sing in their mother tongue smile.gif I'd say add more of that! smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (SindreD @ Feb 19 2014, 11:06 PM) *
Yup, I agree that the intro is waaay too long! We will be re-recording it and will definitely make a few changes, although I think the song structure will pretty much be the same, can't say for sure though!

I know what you mean, but because the first part of the track is in D and the second part in F#, it may sound a little, I don't know, out of place if we constantly switch between the two! I will definitely take it into consideration though biggrin.gif

No programming or triggering, we were pretty amazed when our drummer started recording! tongue.gif May be more interesting if he does something a little different once in a while though!

Thanks, man! smile.gif We're all turning 19 this year, and have actually already done a few gigs in bars. Fortunately, we have been very lucky with the bar staff! As long as we stay away from the booze they don't seem to have any problems with it biggrin.gif

Thanks man, really appreciate that you took the time to check out some of our other songs as well! That was a track I mostly wrote myself, and I tried to focus more on the songwriting aspect as opposed to the technical aspect of it. Because it's kinda more in the Norwegian Black Metal vein, we figured it'd be cool to write some Norwegian lyrics to it as well. smile.gif That's currently our only song in Norwegian. We may write more songs in Norwegian though, can't really tell as of yet. I personally love it when bands write songs in the mother tongue!

Thanks again for the constructive feedback!

+Quote Post
SindreD
Feb 28 2014, 12:46 AM
Hey guys, sorry about the late answer as I've been pretty occupied these last few days. smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 20 2014, 08:45 AM) *
Hey mate smile.gif

Congrats on getting things done! It's always amazing to finally find yourself having the songs ready to be shared with people smile.gif

I agree with Gabi about the mix/master and the fact that the structure can be shrunken in order to become more meaningful. I noticed that this is usually a characteristic that all of us have in the beginning - we tend to make tunes too big in respect of lengthiness and forget about staying true to the essence.

What's the song structure? Have you guys started out from a specific pre-thought structure, such as A B A B C B for instance and then got to the actual form?

Thanks for the feedback, man! The guy who mixed our album had previously not worked with metal bands, and I would agree that the production lacks the punch the songs deserve unfortunately. Creating song structures beforehand is not our regular way of writing a song, but I wouldn't doubt that it would help the material a lot. As we're still in the early stages of songwriting we tend to experiment a lot and kind of taking our time to find our own style. The songs themselves has potential, but unfortunately sometimes, we get sort of lost in the writing process. What you said about the pre-thought structure thing is actually not a bad idea at all, and we will definitely try it out! smile.gif Thanks again for the input!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 21 2014, 06:40 AM) *
That second tune does have a bit of a black metal thing going on smile.gif It also has other elements that all come together to make a really cool sounding track. The way you blended bits of Melodic/Traditional Death/hints of prog Metal in together works well smile.gif

The Norwegian lyrics are a great idea. I think it's very cool when bands sing in their mother tongue smile.gif I'd say add more of that! smile.gif

Todd

Thanks a lot, dude! smile.gif Yeah, we draw inspiration from countless bands in all different genres, so I'm very happy to hear you found it consistent enough to listen to! I guess when you write songs in your own language the lyrical content also comes more naturally and easily to you, so I wouldn't rule out writing more Norwegian songs in the future! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by SindreD: Feb 28 2014, 12:50 AM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Feb 28 2014, 10:14 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
The performance is fine. What needs work is the production in terms of the engineering - it needs work right from recording/tracking as you can hear issues with the gainstaging, mix balance and tonal spectrum is poor and the whole thing sounds flat and lacking in dynamics . As it is the demo is compromised by weak engineering. When you re-record you need to have at least one person who has real experience of engineering who can take some responsibility for the overall production and consider using professional, experieinced tracking, mixing and mastering engineers.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 28 2014, 01:00 PM
Instructor
Glad to have been of help mate smile.gif

It's important to picture the story - where it starts, where it ends and what happens in between. The structure does not have to be a standard one, if you don't like the idea, but there has to be an idea of a structure, otherwise, there will be no direction and you will lose the listener.

I am not at all saying that you should be making music following recipes or trying hard to come up with a 'hit' but try to give your music a form - the more defined it is, the better YOU will understand it as well smile.gif I hope this makes sense...

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 6 2014, 10:05 AM
Your right on all of these point of course, but this is after all, just their first "Demo" right? As such, it's an accomplishment in itself I'd say to have written and recorded and shared it. So kudos there smile.gif It takes stones to put yourself out there.

As you guys continue to record and think about your first E.P./CD/Digi release etc. Keep what Mr. Miro said in mind, and try to find someone, ( an engineer at a studio etc.) that can guide you through recording/mixing/mastering and have a hand in shaping the sound as you go. Developing these kinds of relationships is very handy. Too often, new bands start doing so much on their own in terms of recording/mixing that the engineer doing the final mix/master doesn't have what he needs to make it sound great. So working with someone from the ground up (Like Toni Miro just as an example) is a great way to move ahead smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Feb 28 2014, 04:14 AM) *
The performance is fine. What needs work is the production in terms of the engineering - it needs work right from recording/tracking as you can hear issues with the gainstaging, mix balance and tonal spectrum is poor and the whole thing sounds flat and lacking in dynamics . As it is the demo is compromised by weak engineering. When you re-record you need to have at least one person who has real experience of engineering who can take some responsibility for the overall production and consider using professional, experieinced tracking, mixing and mastering engineers.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 6 2014, 10:36 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 6 2014, 10:05 AM) *
Your right on all of these point of course, but this is after all, just their first "Demo" right? As such, it's an accomplishment in itself I'd say to have written and recorded and shared it. So kudos there smile.gif It takes stones to put yourself out there.

Todd

To a great extent I agree Todd. The thing is what you do with the demo. If you're doing it for low scale local promotion and to get experience then fine.
If you send it to labels in the hope of getting a recording contract then it needs to be better than the competition, many of which will be professionally produced.
If you put it up on the Net then it may come back to bite you when you're famous.

It's the old cliche of 'you only get one chance to make a first impression'.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 6 2014, 10:48 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 6 2014, 09:36 AM) *
To a great extent I agree Todd. The thing is what you do with the demo. If you're doing it for low scale local promotion and to get experience then fine.
If you send it to labels in the hope of getting a recording contract then it needs to be better than the competition, many of which will be professionally produced.
If you put it up on the Net then it may come back to bite you when you're famous.

Great tip, Tony! Usually, the mentality should be - I want to put out the best I can, as you never know who's going to listen to your recording and needless to say, the outcome is clear - if it sounds good, that listener will have something to think about. If it sounds bad... well, he will jump onto the next one and all your efforts would have far less chances of success.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 7 2014, 05:56 AM
Well said smile.gif As our poster mentioned, he's really just trying to put a demo together to start getting some local gigs. As such, this should do fine for getting them started smile.gif I would strongly suggest that the band select a "Mentor" to help from start to finish as they plan their next recording!!

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 6 2014, 04:36 AM) *

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 7 2014, 09:59 AM
Instructor
very nice demo! Really nothing to be ashamed of smile.gif Straight from the roots of metal \m/ As for the production is an endless story. I remember old mixes for the 90's. When You take a close look at the production most of those had a huge lack of what we call low end these days smile.gif Most of lows where focused around 100 Hz and there was a lot of treble (see - Megadeth - countdown to extinction). When I listen to modern productions they have much wider spectrum range and now it's a tendency to make warmer mixes - less mid cut's. Here goes another +1 for tonymiro who's an expert at this filed. When I listened to Your demo I had similar feelings like with mentioned Megadeth...but I also know people who have a purpose of doing vintage sounding metal mixes so if this is a matter of choice and preferences I could have right to be that way wink.gif

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Mar 7 2014, 10:38 AM
Gotta say, great work. And I disagree with everyone cause I think only the drums lack dynamics. I could too easily imagine this with a "modern production", but the modern stuff has no charm to me. This treble, thin, midscooped, sound gives a very funky metal feel. Instead of your run of the mill, ("sounds like the same guy mixed these 7 billion ones...") kind of deal. It reminds me a lot more of Chon's Newborn Sun than the mundanity of a modern metal sound. Anyway, I'm just that one nutter that thinks recorded Jazz sounded better back in the 40s I guess.

Thanks for sharing

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 7 2014, 02:00 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
got a bit of of a progressive melodeath kinda feel I thought. Sounds really good, I really liked that.
I'd definitely listen to more.

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
SindreD
Mar 10 2014, 01:21 AM
Wow! Overwhelming response, thanks guys! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Feb 28 2014, 10:14 AM) *

I totally agree. In the future we will make sure to work with people that are more qualified to do our type of music, and we're all in an early stage of learning how to produce ourselves, so it will get better without a doubt. Hopefully we will have a couple of new demotracks ready by the end of April, so we'll see how that goes! Thanks for the tip man, we will definitely follow it through! smile.gif

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 28 2014, 01:00 PM) *
Glad to have been of help mate smile.gif

It's important to picture the story - where it starts, where it ends and what happens in between. The structure does not have to be a standard one, if you don't like the idea, but there has to be an idea of a structure, otherwise, there will be no direction and you will lose the listener.

I am not at all saying that you should be making music following recipes or trying hard to come up with a 'hit' but try to give your music a form - the more defined it is, the better YOU will understand it as well smile.gif I hope this makes sense...

That's actually very well put! On our new songs we have focused more on the "story" aspect of it, and been trying way more to create consistent and well-structured tracks since this demo. On some tracks we tend to kind of drift off, and we've been trying to avoid that lately. "Kill your darlings", as they say. Just the fact that a certain part fits in doesn't necessarily mean it adds more to the song. It's important to be selective and not just add whatever sounds cool for the sake of it being there! Great advice, my friend!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 6 2014, 10:05 AM) *
As you guys continue to record and think about your first E.P./CD/Digi release etc. Keep what Mr. Miro said in mind, and try to find someone, ( an engineer at a studio etc.) that can guide you through recording/mixing/mastering and have a hand in shaping the sound as you go. Developing these kinds of relationships is very handy. Too often, new bands start doing so much on their own in terms of recording/mixing that the engineer doing the final mix/master doesn't have what he needs to make it sound great. So working with someone from the ground up (Like Toni Miro just as an example) is a great way to move ahead smile.gif

Todd

That's not a bad idea at all, we do whatever we can to establish our own networks and further our own interests in any sort of way. I know a few producers, so I guess it would pay off if I got more involved in their part of the job as well. Thanks for the advice!

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 6 2014, 10:36 AM) *

We never really thought that this was going to be something we would send around to labels. This was just more of a learning experience, really. It's still something, though - and it's good enough to get some gigs and get people to start talking. You have to start somewhere, and we aspire to get way better. The technicality is there, but the songwriting is still in the earlier stages so we will work more towards that. You can tell me what you think of our next songs when they're done! smile.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 7 2014, 05:56 AM) *
Well said smile.gif As our poster mentioned, he's really just trying to put a demo together to start getting some local gigs. As such, this should do fine for getting them started smile.gif I would strongly suggest that the band select a "Mentor" to help from start to finish as they plan their next recording!!

We will be a little more critical in the studio next time, don't worry! We will take the time we need instead of rushing it like we sort of did last time. As stated earlier, we know a few producers around so we will try to get the help we need for the next couple of songs! smile.gif

QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Mar 7 2014, 09:59 AM) *
very nice demo! Really nothing to be ashamed of smile.gif Straight from the roots of metal \m/ As for the production is an endless story. I remember old mixes for the 90's. When You take a close look at the production most of those had a huge lack of what we call low end these days smile.gif Most of lows where focused around 100 Hz and there was a lot of treble (see - Megadeth - countdown to extinction). When I listen to modern productions they have much wider spectrum range and now it's a tendency to make warmer mixes - less mid cut's. Here goes another +1 for tonymiro who's an expert at this filed. When I listened to Your demo I had similar feelings like with mentioned Megadeth...but I also know people who have a purpose of doing vintage sounding metal mixes so if this is a matter of choice and preferences I could have right to be that way wink.gif

Thanks, man! biggrin.gif We're not ashamed of it at all - at least as far as the songs go! We did expect a lot more clear production, but I also really like the raw and stripped down productions of the early 90s tapes. But I guess it turns out to be more "out of place" for people in 2014, and to grab peoples attention I feel like we gotta move a bit more forward instead of going back a few decades. I wouldn´t have anything against being compared to Megadeth, as they are my favorite thrash band of all time. biggrin.gif Thanks for the response, man!

QUOTE (verciazghra @ Mar 7 2014, 10:38 AM) *
Gotta say, great work. And I disagree with everyone cause I think only the drums lack dynamics. I could too easily imagine this with a "modern production", but the modern stuff has no charm to me. This treble, thin, midscooped, sound gives a very funky metal feel. Instead of your run of the mill, ("sounds like the same guy mixed these 7 billion ones...") kind of deal. It reminds me a lot more of Chon's Newborn Sun than the mundanity of a modern metal sound. Anyway, I'm just that one nutter that thinks recorded Jazz sounded better back in the 40s I guess.

Thanks for sharing

Wow, thanks dude! biggrin.gif It's great to hear that the production appeals to somebody too! It's kind of a love/hate thing I would imagine, as you get a totally different feel from this type of "raw" production as opposed to the more clean, modern production. Cheers, man!

QUOTE (bleez @ Mar 7 2014, 02:00 PM) *
got a bit of of a progressive melodeath kinda feel I thought. Sounds really good, I really liked that.
I'd definitely listen to more.

That really means a lot, man! smile.gif Yeah, progressive melodeath is probably the most accurate definiton yet. I will keep you posted on our next stuff, which hopefully will be available in the next few months. biggrin.gif

Thanks again, everyone! Great to have a place where I could get some proper feedback from as qualified people as yourselves. smile.gif

This post has been edited by SindreD: Mar 10 2014, 01:24 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 10 2014, 08:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SindreD @ Mar 10 2014, 12:21 AM) *
That's actually very well put! On our new songs we have focused more on the "story" aspect of it, and been trying way more to create consistent and well-structured tracks since this demo. On some tracks we tend to kind of drift off, and we've been trying to avoid that lately. "Kill your darlings", as they say. Just the fact that a certain part fits in doesn't necessarily mean it adds more to the song. It's important to be selective and not just add whatever sounds cool for the sake of it being there! Great advice, my friend!

Glad you're already walking on the good path, mate wink.gif Now, trust me I know that feeling that comes in when you think: 'Ah, man, this riff is so good, let's cram it in here somewhere! I'm sure it'll eventually work out!' Most of the times, it won't laugh.gif But, BUT smile.gif You can write a dozen more songs so, keep it there as it will have its place sooner or later wink.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Mar 10 2014, 12:29 PM
Instructor
Thanks, man! biggrin.gif We're not ashamed of it at all - at least as far as the songs go! We did expect a lot more clear production, but I also really like the raw and stripped down productions of the early 90s tapes. But I guess it turns out to be more "out of place" for people in 2014, and to grab peoples attention I feel like we gotta move a bit more forward instead of going back a few decades. I wouldn´t have anything against being compared to Megadeth, as they are my favorite thrash band of all time. biggrin.gif Thanks for the response, man!

You know...music that we listen to determines our taste and expectations. You can't fight with who You are at the moment smile.gif Also...there is no need to fight as long as Your satisfied. Comparing to 90's metal is nothing bad at all and nothing to complain smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:57 PM