Collaboration - Combine Licks Into A Modern Rock Solo, Sign up - upload and discussion thread
Emir Hot
Jan 6 2010, 11:01 AM
Instructor
Hi everybody

It's been a while since I've done the last collab. Here is an interesting one where you can show how creative you are when it comes to producing a nice solo using licks only.

I have done a GMC lesson on this backing track and it should be published soon.

I am big fan of good and tasty rock licks. Some of you might have noticed that I usually pay attention to melody in every solo. I almost always develop it with slow long notes and speed up later. We won't use this approach here. In this collaboration I want you to try to make a solo from bunch of different licks and still get the same effect without going for a specialy developed theme. You can go for each lick about every 2 bars and when your lick is connected with the previous one they should work together as a melody. Remember, we don't need a theme as a melody, only bunch of licks but wisely structured so that we can hear the whole solo as a complete strong unit.

Please look at the chart below. I left you a chord progression and scale options below each chord. You can notice that you can play A minor pentatonic licks over the whole track. For those more experienced guys there are modal options so you can feel free to use them as well. You can use any technique from tapping, arpeggio, picking etc... but we want to hear that you made a solo of licks.

The backing track is 110bpm and you should start your solo from the bar 3.

Please follow instructions from this list:

• - Open a new project in your DAW
  • - Set your tempo to 110 bpm
  • - Import the backing track from the start of your track (leave as it is, do not move it to the right and do not cut the starting silence)
  • - The first bar is empty, the second bar is the click, start recording from the bar 3
  • - Do not let your last note go too long after the backing stops
  • - Choose a nice rock overdriven sound - no extreme metal sound and no clean sound
  • - Export 2 tracks - one with backing and another one solo only
  • - The exported track should start from the bar 1 - not from where the solo starts. You should have first 2 bars empty as on the backing
  • - Your exported solo track should be MONO not stereo (at least 128kbps and 44.1 KHz) - pay attention in settings when exporting mp3
  • - You can use effects like delay/reverb/wah but do not overdo it as I still want to have a room for mixing
  • - Have fun smile.gif

The deadline is January 27th (3 weeks from now). All levels are welcome to participate and there is no limit of participants.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. ruben_mcn
2. maharzan
3. Sensible Jones
4. jafomatic
5. rlejr
6. NoSkill
7. Toroso
8. Ruzz
9. Rated Htr
10. Staffy
11. JamesT

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Emir Hot: Jan 8 2010, 05:42 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  backing_110.mp3 ( 679.18K ) Number of downloads: 712

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
ruben_mcn
Jan 6 2010, 12:05 PM
Learning Roadie
I will give it a try Emir tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 6 2010, 12:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ruben_mcn @ Jan 6 2010, 11:05 AM) *
I will give it a try Emir tongue.gif

Sure man. Thanks for joining smile.gif

This one shouldn't be hard. You have a full freedom to play rock licks you know and make a solo out of it.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
maharzan
Jan 6 2010, 12:36 PM
Veteran Guitar Lord
m in!

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 6 2010, 12:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (maharzan @ Jan 6 2010, 11:36 AM) *
m in!

Thanks smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 6 2010, 12:52 PM
Instructor
I would love to give it a go Emir but my POD driver has been acting crazy since yesterday and I can't record anything man!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 6 2010, 01:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jan 6 2010, 11:52 AM) *
I would love to give it a go Emir but my POD driver has been acting crazy since yesterday and I can't record anything man!

Too bad when that happens. Check new drivers on their website. You can record take anytime during next 3 weeks I hope you can fix it by then.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 6 2010, 01:11 PM
GMC:er
I'd like to try this one Emir!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 6 2010, 01:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 6 2010, 12:11 PM) *
I'd like to try this one Emir!!
biggrin.gif

Added smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Jan 6 2010, 01:57 PM
Mmm, challenge-tastic. I'd like to hop in for this.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 6 2010, 02:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Jan 6 2010, 12:57 PM) *
Mmm, challenge-tastic. I'd like to hop in for this.

Sure man, I will add you.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
rlejr
Jan 6 2010, 03:22 PM
Hi Emir..... I'd like to take a shot. Will be my 1st collab entry.

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 6 2010, 03:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (rlejr @ Jan 6 2010, 02:22 PM) *
Hi Emir..... I'd like to take a shot. Will be my 1st collab entry.

Welcome man. Use this thread if you have any questions.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Jan 6 2010, 03:32 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
In if I can.

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 6 2010, 03:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (NoSkill @ Jan 6 2010, 02:32 PM) *
In if I can.

Why not smile.gif

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jan 6 2010, 04:39 PM
May I try? smile.gif

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 6 2010, 04:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Toroso @ Jan 6 2010, 03:39 PM) *
May I try? smile.gif

Sure man smile.gif It's been a long time.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jan 6 2010, 05:39 PM
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Jan 6 2010, 10:46 AM) *
Sure man smile.gif It's been a long time.

Yes, it has. I have a question, probably a really dumb one, and I don't even know how to ask it.

I can do the pentatonic part.

But if I want to use the alternate scales you have provided, do I simply reference the indicated scales
and play anywhere on the neck. Or would they only be appropriate in specific positions?

See it is dumb... dry.gif

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
Ruzz
Jan 6 2010, 05:41 PM
Learning Rock Star
That shouldn't matter much Toroso, since it is the same tones in every position smile.gif

I would like to give it ago.
This will also be my first collab entry biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Ruzz: Jan 6 2010, 06:01 PM

--------------------
Sincerely
Ruzz

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 6 2010, 06:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Toroso @ Jan 6 2010, 04:39 PM) *
Yes, it has. I have a question, probably a really dumb one, and I don't even know how to ask it.

I can do the pentatonic part.

But if I want to use the alternate scales you have provided, do I simply reference the indicated scales
and play anywhere on the neck. Or would they only be appropriate in specific positions?

See it is dumb... dry.gif

heheh no it's not dumb. This is the place where you can ask anything related to this collab.

You can play anything anywhere, I am not asking for any specific position. All I am asking is to have a solo made of licks rather than melodies and themes. For example you want a dorian lick. You can search for some GMC lessons in Dorian mode and grab a cool lick from there. Find a good place to stick it into your solo and make sure that it fits with the next and the previous one so that whole solo together makes sense, not just randomly thrown licks. It is entirely up to you where on the neck you are going to play things. Just be in the right scale and make something that sounds cool. For example, almost every Zakk Wylde solo is made of licks. You play a lick then resolve on some nice note, then go for the next one, etc... until you make the whole solo.

I hope this helps.

QUOTE (Ruzz @ Jan 6 2010, 04:41 PM) *
That shouldn't matter much Toroso, since it is the same tones in every position smile.gif

I would like to give it ago.
This will also be my first collab entry biggrin.gif

Welcome Ruzz smile.gif I added you on the list

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:48 PM