How Close To The Strings Are Your Pickups?
The Farmer
Jan 6 2009, 02:41 PM
GMC:er
I got a guitartech to put in emgs pickups on my guitar about a half year ago. And i was just wondering of how close those of you who use emgs have them to the strings mine are: neck 5 mm and bridge 3 mm. Now what seems strange to me is that the instruction for installing the pickups said that to get fully effect out of the pickups you should put them as close to the strings as possible, but the guitartech (Who isntalled mine) said that if he put them to close the sound would be bad??? iactually believe that they sould be closer for i think they sound great but am sure that they could sound a bit better if i moved them closer, especially the neck picup because i use them a lot. eitherway whats your opinion on this? i just know that my guitar could sound a tad more evil \m/ mad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 6 2009, 02:50 PM
They were flirting with each other the other day so I had to get them further apart biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 6 2009, 02:56 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
If you put your pickups too close to the strings you can create so-called 'string-pull' which results in bad sounds. In my opinion, you sound pick up the screwdriver and search around for the sound you like (basically there are no really 'wrong setups'). Although, in case you may not want to do this at all, then just ignore the story below smile.gif

In the beginning you may find this difficult, but after a while I could clearly distinguish what I liked and disliked about a certain pickup height. Generally speaking you should go for a full sound, which is nicely spread between bass/treble (to check this play some barre chords e.g.) and adapt the pickup heights from both sides to reach that balanced sound.

Also check that the volume of both bridge/neck pickups is more or less the same.

This whole process can be tedious, but it contributed largely to my knowledge on what kind of sound I like, and what the actual changes in pickup height actually do.

Hopefully this helps a bit.

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jan 6 2009, 02:57 PM

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jan 6 2009, 03:00 PM
I'm nowhere near my guitars and I don't have any good pictures online, so I don't have an answer for how mine are set up. On my Ibanez, the bridge is closest, the middle is down almost flat with the pickguard and the neck is kinda in between.

There is such a thing as having your pickups too close. They're magnets and your strings are magnetic. Past a certain point, the pickups' pull starts having a greater effect on the strings and will choke your sustain.

Pickup height's one of those things that are easy to experiment with though. I'm not sure there's so much a better/worse as just different effects on your tone that pickup height has.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 6 2009, 04:14 PM
Instructor
Pickups are catching vibrations differently on different heights, so it is best to experiment on your own for a while and see what position suits you the best. Don't be afraid to experiment, it's fairly easy and nothing bad can happen. Cheers smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Ramiro Delforte
Jan 6 2009, 04:47 PM
Instructor
That's right, there's no perfect setup, there's your perfect setup. You could try to compare some professional opinion like Dan Erlewine, Martin Koch, Dennis Waring & David Raymond. And after you've heard all those opinions you could make one of your own and try to experiment with your setup.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor Profile and Board

LIVE VIDEO CHATS EVERY MONDAY AROUND 22PM (GMC HOUR)

+Quote Post
Drew604
Jan 7 2009, 12:26 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
The Duncans on my Jackson SL2H are about 5mm from the strings and that works for the sound I want for that guitar.

However... I retro-fitted an EMG81 to the brdge of my '88 Jackson Soloist SL1 and I found I get the sound that I like best with the pickup/string distance about 10mm.

I agree with the majority here and would say that its all about experimenting with different settings until you arrive at something that sounds good for you and works with that particular guitar.

Cheerz

Drew

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Jan 9 2009, 12:55 PM
Instructor
I like to keep my strings at a bit of a distance from my EMG's. Not sure exactly how close they are, but i guess they are about the same distance as Drew604 mentioned; around 10mm's.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:49 PM