Fender Blues Jr..
matto
Aug 6 2008, 07:09 PM
GMC:er
How many here got the fender blues junior amp and what gear do you use with it?
i myself got the tweed version with jensen speakers. I play a fender stratocaster and my pedals so far is the keeley compressor, boss blues driver and a boss sd-1. I'll have the bd-2 and sd-1 moded and I'm curious of testing a moded ts9 tubescreamer.

/matto

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 6 2008, 08:38 PM
Instructor
I have similar gear, but I'm Marshall fan. smile.gif

WOudl like to have that Fender for cleans tho, I tried one in a store and it sounded reeeally smooth cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 7 2008, 08:08 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Aug 6 2008, 08:38 PM) *
I have similar gear, but I'm Marshall fan. smile.gif

WOudl like to have that Fender for cleans tho, I tried one in a store and it sounded reeeally smooth cool.gif

Ivan could you please tell me what it is about Marshall amps so much? smile.gif I am interested in learning more about them as I have never tried a "real" marshall before smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 7 2008, 08:26 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Also a Marshall fan here but today, if I was getting a new amp, it would be an Orange Rockerverb 50 watter. No doubt about it.

EDIT: Just a little doubt... could be a Orange Rocker 30

This post has been edited by MickeM: Aug 7 2008, 10:48 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 7 2008, 10:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Aug 7 2008, 09:08 AM) *
Ivan could you please tell me what it is about Marshall amps so much? smile.gif I am interested in learning more about them as I have never tried a "real" marshall before smile.gif

Well mate, first a little bit of history wink.gif

It all started back in the days when Fender amps ruled the world so to speak. Jim Marshall started out to build amps that were Fender copies, in 50ties-60ties. Then by the end of 60ties, there were a lot of new rock musicians (did anyone say Hendrix?) that wanted a bigger, fuller sound and bigger amps for loud playing.

This is when JMP series started to emerge. JMP Super Lead Series are to this day legendary Marshall amps, with a great full tone with lots of bass and low mids, indisputable kings of crunch sound so to speak. During 70ties this series emerged as one of the most used amps, because of the sheer power and great overdrive that they could produce.

In 80ties a JCM800 series are born, that had more preamp stages, could distort more, and for the first time Marshall started to put master switches on some of his amps. JCM 800 is also legendary series with a lot of these amps still used today and in those days these amps were REALLY "built to last". Such great durability, lot of power and that famous Marshall crunch tone, and great saturated scoopy overdrive tones made them heroes of Rock History Hall Of Fame Sounds. Almost everybody played them and you can hear those sounds on many records.

In 90ties company started with JCM900 series, that is basically nothing more than JCM800 series but they cut in corners because of the mass production and lowering expenses. They started to put diode clipping components into them so it was basically not all tube, which resulted in somewhat synthetic sound as opposed to the lush and full Super Lead or JCM800. But these amps were still Marshall and very versatile and there were now an army of young players that needed Hi gain Marshalls, so they still used these amps. Durability and (part of)famous Marshall tone were still very high with these.

In 2000, Marshall put out new series JCM2000 that exist to this day and selling all over the world. I must say these series are nothing like it's predecessors because Marshall cut corners now on every component in the amp to make it more cheap. This results in a muddy sound and not so reliable amps, and most of older users will say they are no good. But for kids who are starting to learn the guitar, getting a Marshall still represents a symbol of rock tone, and buying all the heritage is still worth paying extra bucks. New JCM2000 series like DSL or TSL are packed with overdrive for modern hi gain sound, with a lot of sound shaping options and cool features. Focus now is more on flexibility, but still part of that Marshall sound is still there. It is not the sound of an old vintage Plexi from 70ties, more of an echo of it wink.gif

Marshall sound is very recognizable and often serves as a reference point for sound comparison among player. They also made a lot of different important side models, like famous bluesbreaker, or AVT hybrid series, but the main production all tube line is like written above. These amps are what made Marshall name famous, and when you hear that roar from an old JCM800 cranked to max you will know what I mean. These amps are built to last and to play loud.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 7 2008, 01:23 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Nice stuff about Marshall there Ivan, if that doesn't belong in our wiki yet it should be added for sure!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Aug 7 2008, 01:25 PM
Lets go fishing!
Really awsome info Ivan , thanks for an informative post biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I can tell we have a few marshall fans around GMC..........

Back on the subject of the blues Junior, I have heard great things about it. If it had 6L6 tubes and more gain I would buy one myself smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 7 2008, 01:45 PM
Instructor
Hey no problem, glad to be of assistance, I'm a true Marshall fan smile.gif

Regarding that Fender amp, it is great for cleans, but you're right matt, it doesn't have a good proper distortion. Even the crunch is little edgy for my taste. But it's a great blues amp, that's for sure. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Aug 7 2008, 05:50 PM
Had one, great one trick pony amp. Beautiful cleans.... Mine died though =(

+Quote Post
matto
Aug 7 2008, 07:45 PM
the fender blues junior distortion is good for some rock when you want that rock n roll sound. if you want more smooth distortion you can add more bass and make it nicer with pedals like moded blues driver that have more bas then stock and also tube screamers bring mids and lows.

when I get a bigger apartment I will buy a second small tube amp for the distortion. maybe marshall or tiny terror or something. for now pedals do the trick, the blues jr works great with pedals!

This post has been edited by matto: Aug 7 2008, 07:46 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 7 2008, 09:13 PM
Instructor
I agree, with pedals this amp is a lot more flexible. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:23 PM