2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Warrior Bushido Task 25
Ben Higgins
Jul 16 2012, 06:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jul 16 2012, 05:19 PM) *
Thanks! Yeah, I kinda got locked in with playing it like that. I tried both ways and just had a better flow for me with the economy upstroke. I can see why you play it your way with the added power to the downstroke.

I think it also depends what kind of angle your hand is to the guitar body. If it's quite parallel, then the upstroke thing works better but if you have more of a Friedman type thing going on, then it lends itself to down stroke power ! smile.gif

I like both.. smile.gif

QUOTE (Opetholic @ Jul 16 2012, 06:12 PM) *
And Chandra, about not being able to improvise, well join the club tongue.gif

It's one of those things that seems really difficult and elusive but it does directly correlate to how much time you spend doing it. I haven't really played guitar for a while and it's been even longer since I really improvised properly so my skills will be way done on that score smile.gif

I find the best way is to focus on something small. Take about 3 notes from a scale you really like and start messing around with them, figure out why they sound good etc and then try to put your own spin on them.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gregc1
Jul 17 2012, 01:44 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Here's my offering for this task. This pattern seemed a little more natural for me than some of the last few. Picking pattern seemed like my tendency as well so I got sort of lucky there.

Ben, I've been focusing a lot lately on getting my hand a bit more parallel to the strings like you mentioned to try and kill some of that noise. I still seem to eventually fall back to my normal way but it's feeling a little more normal now and I do hear a difference in certain situations (although this take is a little noisy). That noise has been a struggle of mine for a while so I appreciate the tip to help in fixing that.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  task25.mp3 ( 208.16K ) Number of downloads: 127

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 17 2012, 08:30 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Jul 17 2012, 01:44 AM) *
Here's my offering for this task. This pattern seemed a little more natural for me than some of the last few. Picking pattern seemed like my tendency as well so I got sort of lucky there.

Ben, I've been focusing a lot lately on getting my hand a bit more parallel to the strings like you mentioned to try and kill some of that noise. I still seem to eventually fall back to my normal way but it's feeling a little more normal now and I do hear a difference in certain situations (although this take is a little noisy). That noise has been a struggle of mine for a while so I appreciate the tip to help in fixing that.

Nice one, Gregmaster ! Sounding very smooth smile.gif

Ah ok, good... hopefully it just takes a little adjustment and doesn't affect your picking as I wouldn't want you to compromise your natural way of playing too much. Picking is a pain in the backside sometimes. One might find an angle where they're able to slice through the strings nicely with speed but then it leaves them open to noise or vice versa.. Just takes a bit of playing around.

I remember an old article from Vai where he says about focusing on the end result.. the perfect sound. As long as we focus on achieving that perfect sound then gradually the elements involved in playing guitar align themselves with the aural result we're going for. That's the idea !! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Jul 19 2012, 11:22 AM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 15 2012, 05:40 PM) *
Great to see some action from you, Mert ! smile.gif

You nailed those patterns easily.... I think you can do a better job at bending my friend so maybe we should think about setting you up with some bending licks or lessons ? smile.gif

I think it is now a commonly accepted truth that my vibrato and bending skills suck tongue.gif so as a start C-Maestro assigned me your Vibrato Odyssey lessons smile.gif I hope I can do justice to them.. See you in the REC zone sometime soon Benmeister smile.gif I am just a bit scared though that I will lose my AP skills if I don't work on them everyday and instead focus on articulation unsure.gif

This post has been edited by Opetholic: Jul 19 2012, 11:23 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 19 2012, 12:43 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Jul 19 2012, 11:22 AM) *
I think it is now a commonly accepted truth that my vibrato and bending skills suck tongue.gif so as a start C-Maestro assigned me your Vibrato Odyssey lessons smile.gif I hope I can do justice to them.. See you in the REC zone sometime soon Benmeister smile.gif I am just a bit scared though that I will lose my AP skills if I don't work on them everyday and instead focus on articulation unsure.gif

Ah, sounds good ! Well done to C-man wink.gif

No you won't lose it... I haven't lost mine and I don't practise AP much smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:25 PM