Epiphone Les Paul Classic, Replaced pickups with Gibsons 57 classics
Georgia Rocker
Sep 12 2011, 01:53 AM
GMC:er
I replaced my pickups in this old epiphone les paul classic with some gibsons 57 classics. The sound isn't what I was hoping for. It did improve the sound but not as much as I thought It would. Since this is a Epiphone model Is there something else I should replace that would help the sound. I see alot of talk about capacitors and pots on the internet but I havent had any experience and thought I'd ask to see it it'll help. I have a american strat with anderson pickups in it and it sounds much better than the lp using distortion. I use the lp for rhythm rock, power chords distortion etc etc.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Sep 12 2011, 11:02 AM
Instructor
I have a friend who was put on Epiphone - '57 Classic for the neck position, and '57 Classic Plus in the bridge. He's very satisfied with the tone. If there is a chance - try to replace bridge pickup in the shop!

"A Gibson '57 Classic Plus Humbucker has a lot in common with a Gibson '57 Classic Pickup, and they share many of the same construction materials and procedures. However, the '57 Classic Plus has a few more wire windings on its coils, and this causes it to be slightly "hotter" than a '57 Classic Pickup, and the result is that it can more easily achieve that creamy overdriven sound from a guitar amp, especially one that has a tube driven preamp section. Yet, the '57 Classic Plus Humbucker is not "too hot," and it still is able to maintain its vintage warm sound. The bobbins on each of the coils of the '57 Classic Plus Humbucker also have an equal number of wire windings, and this yields a pickup that has a very warm, creamy, fat sound."

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 12 2011, 07:49 PM
Instructor
Try some better pickups perhaps?

Although Epi won't ever sound that good, no matter what pickups you put in it. I mean, the guitar itself is nicely made, it can be as comfortable as the Gibson, depending on the piece, but it lacks tone, lacks low end mostly, and sounds a bit thin.

Not sure what you can do. I wouldn't spend too much money on it really, maybe install one more pickup in the bridge, something hotter, and that's it. It's spending your money away, when you should be collecting for a second hand Gibson LP.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bossie
Sep 13 2011, 12:34 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYRrbJf_g2M

check this out ....a completely stock EPI LP Standard ..2009...some FX'ing en decent EQ'ing and off he goes

Not bad i think.. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Bossie: Sep 13 2011, 12:36 AM

+Quote Post
Georgia Rocker
Sep 13 2011, 01:15 AM
I did replace both pickups 57 classic and the 57 classic plus in the bridge. I think my problem is not setting up my tone right using my pedals and now im using guitar rig 4. Im gonna try a little more time twicking my settings on my amp and effects. Ive got alot to learn about effects and settings. Thanks for all the help.

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Sep 13 2011, 04:00 AM
Instructor
i like personally the 57 plus, it can get some good overdriven tones smile.gif, have fun man!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:28 PM