2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Mixo-dorian Collab - The Final Mix Is Ready!, Final mix with comments...
David Wallimann
May 24 2008, 11:53 PM
Instructor
Thanks everyone for your participation. We have quite a large panel of talented folks in this one.
Hope you enjoy listening to this as much as I did!

Attached File  Mixo_Dorian_mix.mp3 ( 8.43MB ) Number of downloads: 445

Ballistic31
Very nice feel on this one. I love the intro of your lead and the way you built up everything with very tasteful bluesy licks. Your take is a good example of how important rhythm is while soloing. I like the choice of sound you used as well, very southern rock sounding. Great job!

Zizi Top
I love your choice of notes here. The way you blended the Mixolydian scale with the Dorian mode is tasteful and works well. I would recommend working a bit on rhythm placement on a few runs, they sound good, but would sound even better if well placed in rhythm. Actually, after listening I think your placement is good, but your sound makes your notes sound a bit sloppy. Maybe using a little bit less distortion will bring your notes where they should be. Other than that, I really enjoyed your take and look forward to hearing more of your music!

Alex Lewis
I love your intro man! Your lead is very well constructed from beginning to end. Nice build up and great choice of notes. I really like how you blended technique with melodic choice of notes in a way that is pleasing to both advanced players and non players at all. Great job!

Andrew Cockburn
Andrew, it’s always a pleasure to have you in the collabs. What I really admire in your playing here is your vibrato. It’s not too overdone, but just right to bring all the notes alive. Great blend of minor thirds and major thirds. Your lead fits the exercise very well. Good job!

Bali
Bali, I really enjoy your lead. What makes your lead interesting is the rhythm placement that you use while phrasing, and your choice of notes. I really like the second part of your lead starting on the fifth measure. The choice of notes almost gives your improve an eastern feel. Great job and nice construction!

Bluesrock
Some of the ideas you exposed here are quite interesting. I don’t know if they were done on purpose or not though. On the first part of your lead, I can hear the Major 7th of G, which is not in the Dorian or Mixolydian mode. However, they can work if you want to give your improve an off feel. Was that done in purpose? If so that’s great! If not, just be aware of it. The rest of your lead follows the track quite well. Keep up the good work!

Hammerin Hank
Wow, your lead is so full of great licks! You should post the tab of this as I’m sure some of our members would love to have these licks under their belt! Your lead follows the exercise extremely well and is a great example of how to blend the Dorian and Mixolydian mode. Great take my friend! Looking forward for more!

Illuha
Good choice of notes and good lead construction! I really love some of the ideas you developed in this take. Your rhythm placement is sometimes a bit off, but your choice of licks and your idea development compensate for that and make your lead quite enjoyable. Good job!

Matt23
I like your intro a lot! It exposes your theme quite well and sets the overall tone of your ideas. The lick you play on the 7th measure is brilliant. It has a wonderfully weird feel to it that I just love, thanks for sharing it with us! Some of your notes are a little displaced from the rhythm, but that can easily be fixed by continuing to work with a metronome. Great job my friend.

Nick325
Good lead Nick, great use of the minor pentatonic there. I wish I heard a bit more of the Major third though which would give this a more Mixolydian feel. You did use the Dorian quite well though and the color of it is well rendered. Keep up the good work!

Organised Confusion
I like the melodic feel to this man! It’s the kind of lead that people usually remember, good sense of melody is always more important than flashy licks, and you have both! Your mix of Dorian and Mixolydian is very evident and tasteful. Great work!

Siggum
I enjoyed your lead a lot, it’s very well constructed and has a great feel. You have a very special phrasing that is admirable. Your laid back rhythm placement and choice of notes is a pleasure to the ears. I also think the sound you are using fits your take perfectly, what did you use?You’re doing a wonderful job my friend, keep up the excellent work!

Smells
Smells like Steve Vai. Wow! What a great take here! Your licks sound a lot like Satriani’s most famous student and it sounds great! Very nice harmonies and melodies. I love how you blended melodic ideas with high technical interest. You’ll go far my friend, keep it up!

Coffeeman
I like how you decided to play the first part of your lead in Dorian to finish it with the Mixolydian mode. Your licks are tastefully played and follow the directions very well. Your ideas are well developed with a great use of repetition and help your take to develop nicely. Great job!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by David Wallimann: May 24 2008, 11:54 PM

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 25 2008, 12:56 AM
GMC:er
Thanks for the great collab David. It really got me thinking in a different way mixing mixolydian with dorian as I had never done it before. I'm glad you like the melodic ideas I have because that is what I tend to go for more than speed. smile.gif

Great backing and a good job from all participants. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
May 25 2008, 10:54 AM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
Wow ! this collab looks great ! I really enjoyed listening to all the entries
Thanks david for the backing track and for mixing this up

About my sound, i'm using a little bit of delay in it .. do you think that might have an effect on my rythmic placement ? and also i'm using pod X3 from about 1 month now, so if anyone would like to share his tones, i would be really glad smile.gif

Have a good day smile.gif

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
Siggum
May 25 2008, 12:01 PM
Thanks for a great Collab David, your backing track was really inspiring, and thanks for the comment on my play. I'm using Gibson les paul with Guitar rig 3 actually, with a tweaked jazz fusion preset sound. This was a nice listen and everyone did great.

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
May 25 2008, 02:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Zizi Top @ May 25 2008, 05:54 AM) *
Wow ! this collab looks great ! I really enjoyed listening to all the entries
Thanks david for the backing track and for mixing this up

About my sound, i'm using a little bit of delay in it .. do you think that might have an effect on my rythmic placement ? and also i'm using pod X3 from about 1 month now, so if anyone would like to share his tones, i would be really glad smile.gif

Have a good day smile.gif

Thanks man,
Yeah, delay might be causing it. But overall you did a great job!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
coffeeman
May 25 2008, 03:50 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks for your comments David, I have learned a lot with your lessons and I really enjoy these mode collabs. I feel like a total beginner with the awesome takes we have in this collab, just awesome.

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Matt23
May 25 2008, 04:55 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Thanks for the collab was really fun. I've never really done any blues or anything near this style so it was really interesting trying to write a solo. smile.gif Btw you used my first take and not my second and the second is better.

EDIT PS: The lick in measure 7 you commented on is 1 note per string going - G-B-F-Bb-E so what arpeggio is that, or is it a G7 to B then the B tritone or is the whole thing one arpeggio?

This post has been edited by Matt23: May 25 2008, 05:01 PM

+Quote Post
Iluha
May 25 2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the collab David, really great backing and alot of great takes in this one..

About my take, I listend to it in the mix and in my uploaded file, and I think that it sounds a bit off to you because in the mix youv'e put it a tiny bit too early I think, I'm really not sure becuase it sounds off by only a very very small hardly noticeable amout, so it might also be a bit too late, all I know is that in my file it sounds good but in the mix it sounds a bit off like you said.

--------------------

My Latest Upload: Here!

My Practice Agenda/Blog: Here!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 25 2008, 05:39 PM
Instructor
Awesome collab Walli and participants! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
May 25 2008, 08:10 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Cool collab David! thanks for the kind comments, standard was pretty high throughout I thought for the whole collab so well done everyone biggrin.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Siggum
May 25 2008, 10:39 PM
QUOTE (Smells @ May 25 2008, 09:10 PM) *
Cool collab David! thanks for the kind comments, standard was pretty high throughout I thought for the whole collab so well done everyone biggrin.gif

Yeah i agree, everyone did really good here smile.gif

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Bali
May 26 2008, 12:08 AM
It's been a pleasure to be part of this collab!! Great job everybody!

I'm probably gonna start one myself soon (working on the rythmic part).

So let's keep'em comin!!! cool.gif

David, about the "eastern feel": I've played in India for years, so i guess that 'leaks'...

This post has been edited by Bali: May 26 2008, 12:12 AM

+Quote Post
skennington
May 26 2008, 12:28 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Wow! just had a listen, Great job to all of you! We have really got some great guitarists here!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 26 2008, 02:03 AM
Moderation Policy Director
Thanks for the kind comments Dave - once again you have put together a top notch collaboration, long may they continue! Also, well done to all the other participants - collectively we rock!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 26 2008, 09:27 AM
Instructor
great works Guys .

+Quote Post
ballistic31
May 26 2008, 10:23 AM
cool It was a fun collab and thanks for the comments..I think though maybee next time I should take a bit more time writeing a solo..I could have done alot more with it instead of rushing to get it posted in a day lol .. great job everyone

--------------------
[size=3][b]

+Quote Post
Bluesrock
May 26 2008, 12:43 PM
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ May 25 2008, 12:53 AM) *
Bluesrock
Some of the ideas you exposed here are quite interesting. I don’t know if they were done on purpose or not though. On the first part of your lead, I can hear the Major 7th of G, which is not in the Dorian or Mixolydian mode. However, they can work if you want to give your improve an off feel. Was that done in purpose? If so that’s great! If not, just be aware of it. The rest of your lead follows the track quite well. Keep up the good work!

that major 7th is part of the minor pentatonic which you said we could use so i didn't think i was doing anything out of key. but hey it sounded good to me so i put it in tongue.gif

Edit: whoops sorry gt a lil confused major 7th isn't part of minor pentatonic duuuh hehe blink.gif oh well then i don't know how that got in there huh.gif

This post has been edited by Bluesrock: May 27 2008, 11:42 AM

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 26 2008, 12:51 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Bluesrock @ May 26 2008, 07:43 AM) *
that major 7th is part of the minor pentatonic which you said we could use so i didn't think i was doing anything out of key.

Minor Pentatonic has a minor 7th not a Major 7th, but ...

QUOTE (Bluesrock @ May 26 2008, 07:43 AM) *
but hey it sounded good to me so i put it in tongue.gif

This always trumps theory, so if it sounds good thats way more important!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
May 26 2008, 05:07 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
minor pentatonic = root + 3m + 4 + 5 + 7m
mixo-dorian mode : you add to these notes M2 + M6 + M3 (the only difference between mixolydian and dorian is that mixolydian have a M3 instead of a m3.

I used "m" for minor and "M" for major.

Edit : by the way david, i've listened to my take, and i noticed that in the mixing my solo starts a little bit later than on my original upload ... if you can fix it smile.gif, if not it's okay, don't do all the mixing again for it .. it's just a slight detail, the collab rocks man smile.gif

This post has been edited by Zizi Top: May 26 2008, 05:12 PM

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
May 27 2008, 03:57 AM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
Great job to all, and thanks David- I enjoy playing on these collabs. You asked about the tab, where would I post it?

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:31 PM