Transposing Key On The Fly
zoom
May 15 2012, 01:26 PM
Learning Roadie
I need some tips on how to transpose from one key to another quickly. I can transpose if I'm given a few minutes to run through a song and figure the changes out but on the fly is another thing. My mind goes blank.
Say the song is in E and the progression goes E - B - C#m -A which is pretty simple really and we decide to change to G then the progression goes G-D-Em-C I find in my head I'm going ok were in G now ok it was B which is the 5th of E so that would be C no D ok next it was C#m so that's the relative minor of E so that's Em in G and then to A so that would be hmm 4th or 5th confusion Bla...Bla ok it's ___ stuff! I've missed it wasn't D it was C.
Yeah I know my mind is crazy but unfortunately it's the only one I've got. wink.gif
Now I hope there is an easier way so I'm open to thoughts. I know some of you are gonna say you hear the chord in your head and know what to play. I wish! I'm getting better a doing this with single note melodies but chords no chance at this stage.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:58 PM