> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Degroot’s Music For Speeding
Gabriel Leopardi
May 6 2012, 05:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ May 5 2012, 04:04 PM) *
Hi Gab,
I was working with Muris upstroke lesson yesterday. Alternating downstroke and then upstroke inbetween each lick. I had to record in the backing track with a mic so I can get an example at a slower speed (120bpm).

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...upstroke-focus/

Good take man! I think that you are very close on this one. You lose a bit the synchronicity between both hands in some moments but the overall is good. Keep on practicing it at a slower tempo and let's choose a new lesson a bit more difficult.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeGroot
May 6 2012, 06:50 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Thanks! I think I can get this down with another week. The challenge is the concentration of switching the picking motion from down to up after the lick. I still need to focus attention on my picking movement. If you get a chance can you analyze my right hand movement from high to low string?

Since I have seen my hand recorded i notice I make more of a sweeping motion. Its a habit that i think I need to break out of but it may take some real hard work on my end. I'm so used to playing that way but I think it is holding me back. I'm not sure if this is a bad quality? I think with my next lesson I should focus on strict legato and just loose the pick for a bit smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 6 2012, 07:03 PM
Instructor
Yes, it's true that you are doing a sweep picking movement, it seems that you are using economy picking technique in some sections. That's not a bad habit, there are guitar players like Frank Gambale that plays everything with Economy Picking. It's not my choice but I can't say that it's a bad option. However I think that the overall sound that you get with both techniques is different, Economy picking sounds smoother to me while AP sounds more aggressive. Compare Gambale's fast licks with Paul Gilbert's and you will note the difference. Once thing that I note that you only pick from the wrist, it would be good if you relax your arm, also move a bit from the elbow.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
DeGroot
May 6 2012, 11:37 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
I wasn't exactly sure what economy picking was until now. I guess either way will sound good as long as I'm playing in sync. I suppose I can work on both as I like both styles.

I see what you are saying about the arm being stiff. I will work on that and see if it makes a difference! Thanks man

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 7 2012, 07:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ May 6 2012, 07:37 PM) *
I wasn't exactly sure what economy picking was until now. I guess either way will sound good as long as I'm playing in sync. I suppose I can work on both as I like both styles.

I see what you are saying about the arm being stiff. I will work on that and see if it makes a difference! Thanks man

Great mate! Check this video were Kiko shows the same lick using both techniques.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
DeGroot
May 8 2012, 06:51 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero

That is cool. He seems to get the same attack with both techniques. Thanks for sharing that!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 8 2012, 05:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ May 8 2012, 02:51 AM) *
That is cool. He seems to get the same attack with both techniques. Thanks for sharing that!

Exactly! But economy picking seems to allow even more speed.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
DeGroot
May 14 2012, 02:49 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Hi Gab, I am up to full tempo on Muris Upstroke Focus (from 120 bpm to 140 bpm). I've been working on this one about an hour a day... concentrating on using just alternate picking for this lesson. Finally starting to do that without having to think about it so much!

After we analyzed my picking hand, I have been relaxing to free up the forearm more. For now, I have better accuracy with the way I am playing it in this video. I did discover though that when I speed up (like with tremelo picking) I use more of a forearm motion!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 14 2012, 02:42 PM
Instructor
This is awesome man! Your take is flawless! Congrats for your job! smile.gif Your timing is perfect, every note sound at the correct volume and your right hand looks very comfortable and natural with the AP technique. It's time for another lesson! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
DeGroot
May 14 2012, 05:38 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Thanks for the feedback! smile.gif

I'd like to start doing more solo style lessons. I was learning the Uli Jon Roth style months ago and hit a road block when it came to the fast AP runs. It is a goal of mine here to be able to play it and figure it will be a good bench mark to see how my AP has improved since then.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Uli-Jon-Roth-Style/

I've been listening to Marty Friedman "Scenes" and Joe Satriani "Surfing With the Alien" lately. There is a great diversity of solo lessons from both guitarist here. Some are probably above my level at the moment butI figured I can try them out. when I get to a area where my technique is not ready, I can find some lessons to concentrate on that specific technique! What do you think?

I'm also in the early stages of putting together some music. Just coming up with riff ideas and recording with a drum loop.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 15 2012, 03:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ May 14 2012, 01:38 PM) *
Thanks for the feedback! smile.gif

I'd like to start doing more solo style lessons. I was learning the Uli Jon Roth style months ago and hit a road block when it came to the fast AP runs. It is a goal of mine here to be able to play it and figure it will be a good bench mark to see how my AP has improved since then.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Uli-Jon-Roth-Style/

I've been listening to Marty Friedman "Scenes" and Joe Satriani "Surfing With the Alien" lately. There is a great diversity of solo lessons from both guitarist here. Some are probably above my level at the moment butI figured I can try them out. when I get to a area where my technique is not ready, I can find some lessons to concentrate on that specific technique! What do you think?

I'm also in the early stages of putting together some music. Just coming up with riff ideas and recording with a drum loop.

Hi man! Yes, technique lessons are very helpful to train an specific one, but you also have to alternate between these lessons and more musical ones. This Ben's lesson is very tricky, maybe we could go for a musical lesson but one step lower to make the process of learning and recording more fluently. What do you think?

It's great to know that you are already starting to record your musical ideas! You can use this thread to share your progress and to let me give you some feedback about your compositions.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
DeGroot
May 15 2012, 08:23 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 15 2012, 02:07 PM) *
Hi man! Yes, technique lessons are very helpful to train an specific one, but you also have to alternate between these lessons and more musical ones. This Ben's lesson is very tricky, maybe we could go for a musical lesson but one step lower to make the process of learning and recording more fluently. What do you think?

It's great to know that you are already starting to record your musical ideas! You can use this thread to share your progress and to let me give you some feedback about your compositions.

Hey man! I have most of the Uli Jon Roth solo down. I have to isolated a couple of the fast runs and practice them more with a click.

Here is a couple level 5 solos that I'd like to learn:

Piotr's lesson is very tricky too but I think it'll really help me with my bending and pitch.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Marty-...troduction-Era/

Here is another one that is really cool and about where I am at as far as clean AP speed.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ssical-etude-1/

Of course, other suggestions are welcome. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 15 2012, 10:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ May 15 2012, 04:23 PM) *
Hey man! I have most of the Uli Jon Roth solo down. I have to isolated a couple of the fast runs and practice them more with a click.

Here is a couple level 5 solos that I'd like to learn:

Piotr's lesson is very tricky too but I think it'll really help me with my bending and pitch.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Marty-...troduction-Era/

Here is another one that is really cool and about where I am at as far as clean AP speed.

Of course, other suggestions are welcome. smile.gif

Great choices mate! Both lessons are fantastic. Let's start working on them. Choose one, learn it and post a take to show how you are going. You can also post slower takes if you prefer it. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
DeGroot
May 16 2012, 06:58 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ May 15 2012, 09:19 PM) *
Great choices mate! Both lessons are fantastic. Let's start working on them. Choose one, learn it and post a take to show how you are going. You can also post slower takes if you prefer it. wink.gif

Cool, I will post one of them soon

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 17 2012, 04:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DeGroot @ May 16 2012, 02:58 PM) *
Cool, I will post one of them soon

Perfect! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
DeGroot
May 18 2012, 06:27 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Hey! I'm starting off with the neoclassical etude. Here is a practice video of me playing it slower @ 120bpm.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 18 2012, 07:00 PM
Instructor
Good job man! There is nothing to comment about this one. Your technique, timing and tone are good!
You are on the right track, keep on practicing to achieve the lesson's speed.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
DeGroot
May 21 2012, 07:23 AM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Hi Gabriel! Here is a video at 140 bpm. the beginning 3 octave scale run was the trickiest part for me. I had to use a book under my foot to get the finger positioning correct at this speed. Do you ever encounter things like this?
Thanks,
Joe

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 21 2012, 04:46 PM
Instructor
Hi friend! Great playing!! You are very close now. Most of the parts sound perfect! There are some short parts were you lose the synchronicity between both hands and for that reason the sound that you get isn't clean all the time. Regarding your position, you are using the classical position which is very comfortable for shredding but not too close to the standing up position. I don't use this position but there are some electric players that use it successfully.

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
DeGroot
May 21 2012, 06:58 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
Thanks! I'll try to get those parts tighter before I submit for REC!

I had figured it was more of a classical guitar position! I think I need to look into what I am sitting on, because I don't think the chair I am using now is ideal for guitar practicing.

This post has been edited by DeGroot: May 21 2012, 06:58 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:57 PM