> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Gitarrero’s Punk Attitude, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 22 2012, 03:56 PM
Instructor
Hi Christian! I hope that everything is ok!

This is your personal thread for the Gab's Army Mentoring Project. Based on your posts in the Army's first thread I think that your main goal here is to work on your compositions and lessons.
So please tell me exactly which are your goals, post some a video of you playing solo and rhythm and also post which are the things that you are working on.

Also your ideas for Army's collabs and songs are amazing and we should do it. You can help me with that! wink.gif

The principles of our Army are:

+ Improve your technique
+ Make music and solos
+ Have fun
+ Destroy the enemy (hahaha not realy just kidding... ph34r.gif )

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Feb 22 2012, 07:15 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Gabriel,

I'm proud to be part of your army laugh.gif

As I already said, I wanna get better at composing punk rock songs. You can check my latest composition on my soundcloud site (check my signature), but you already gave it a listen a couple of months ago smile.gif
So, I'd like to learn more about theory, how to structure a song, how to make it more interesting. But of course, I also wanna get better at rhythm and lead playing. Here are some of my recent videos:

And of course I love submitting student instructor lessons. Working on new ones at the moment, all in the style of german punk/rock bands smile.gif

Looking forward to get started!

Christian

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 22 2012, 07:39 PM
Instructor
Ok my friend! Welcome to the Army! Here we go... We will start with the same things that I wrote for Superize but based on the style that you like...

I want you to choose 5 Punk Rock songs that you like but that you've never learnt and do the following work...

Creativity Work:

Choose 5 songs (please let me know which ones you select as soon as you do it). This is a template of what you should do.

Name of the song:
Name of the band:

Structure // What is happening? // Chords & Scales

Structure: You will divide the tune in Intro - Riff - Verse - Prechorus- - Chorus - Solo - Part C and so... You can add the letters A, B, C to the sections when you find different ones in the same tune (Ex: Verse A, Verse B, Chorus, Solo A, Solo)

what is happening?: Here you will describe each part. You can explain how is the part, if it has vocals, screams, melodies, harmonizations, how much is last, how many measures, etc. Every information that could be useful to understand the part.

Chords & Scales: Here you will post the tonality, the chord progression and the scales used for the melodies and solos.

Post you analysis using this concept here in one week.

Technique Work:

Regarding technique we will choose some lessons the next weeks, for this week I want you to work on the first lesson of my Intensive Technique Course.

LESSON #1 – WARMING UP & ENDURANCE

Work on this exercises and record yourself playing it in 6 days. Concentrate on the sound, the volume of each note (it should be the same for each note), not on the speed. Play it the faster than you can but the limit must be when you start to loose clearness.

This would be all for this week. Do you think that you'll be able to have all the videos by the next Wednesday?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Feb 22 2012, 08:36 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Great task!
As soon as I read Superize's thread I knew what was waiting for me laugh.gif

Anyway, I actually found 5 of my favourite songs that I never learned to play, so this is my chance now!

Pretty sure I can do that in one week. I might post a different song every day though, if this is okay, so I can take time to work on one song at a time.

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 22 2012, 09:06 PM
Instructor
Great choices man! This will be very interesting. Posting one song per day sounds good for me. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Feb 26 2012, 11:56 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hola Gabriel!

Let's start with "Want you bad" by The Offspring.
I jammed along to the studio version, since I got it on CD and the quality is a bit better biggrin.gif
I realized that the live version I posted above is played in Eb tuning, while the stuio version is in E standard.
So, the key is E.

Structure:
Intro (X4) - Post Intro (E chord) - Verse (X2) - Pre Chorus - Chorus (X2) - Verse (X2) - Pre Chorus - Chorus (X2) - Bridge - Solo (more a riff though) - Chorus (X3) and Outro (which equals the Intro)

What's happening:
Throughout the song we've got two guitars (three in the live version), the intro is a fast chord progression, all guitars play the same stuff. The post intro is a muted E powerchord. The verse has a chord progression with palm muted rhythm, though the first strum of each chord rings for a short time. The verse have lyrics which are sung clean. The pre chorus also has clean sung lyrics, the chords aren't muted but played out. Same is true for the chours, but towards the end of the chorus line one guitar seems to play simgle notes ( A G# A cool.gif. The bridge has lyrics and the chords are strummed once, then they ring out. At the beginning of the bridge there are some natural harmonics. The solo is more like a riff, I'd say it's basically power chords with a dead note, so only two strings are ringing, the third string (actually, the middle one of the three strings played) is muted. The outro is the same as the intro smile.gif

Chord progression:
Intro: E B A C# B
Verse: E C# B A G# A B
Pre Chorus: A B C# E A B C# B
Chorus: E C# B A G# A B
Bridge: B A E B B A E B
Riff: D# C# B E D# C# E F# G# B

That should be all, I guess. What do you think?

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 26 2012, 06:49 PM
Instructor
Great job Gitarrero! The song is in E major tonality. They use power chords in the whole song so you should add the number 5 to each chord. However is also interesting to analyse the chord progressions defining is the chord quality is major or minor. If we harmonize the E major scale in triads we have the following triads/chords:

E major ( IM ) - F# minor ( IIm ) - G# minor ( IIIm ) - A major ( IVM ) - B major ( VM ) - C# minor ( VIm ) - D minor (b5) ( VIImb5 )

Also it would be great if you analgesic the vocal melody. You don't have to post it here but learnt the melody in the guitar and try to connect the notes to the chord played at that moment to know what notes they use to stay and what notes they use as passing notes. Also sing the notes while you are playing them. After doing this job for some time you will be able to create melodies in the style that you like just singing over the chord progression that you created.

The rhythm used in the verse is very "Offspring style". They use to combine palm muting with some open chord accentuated before the chord change. (Check out "The kids aren't all right").
The structure is the classic "rock hit" one.... the bridge is always important in this type of song, and it's frequently the most emotive part. In this one it's like "melancholic" and gains emotion thanks to the solo...

the same concept is used in this song at 2:04...

Ok, good job mate! I'll wait for the next ones! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Mar 1 2012, 07:54 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hey Gabriel,
just letting you know I'm a bit busy these days, but saturday will be my guitar day again! I'll post a new analysis and the exercises by then.

Tomorrow, I am going on a field trip to learn more about punk rock laugh.gif
Meaning, I am going to see Rise Against live! I'm really looking forward to it biggrin.gif

Christian

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 2 2012, 01:41 AM
Instructor
No problem mate! Thanks for notifying! smile.gif

Rise Against! I saw them live the last year and they did a great show! You will really enjoy their energy and great tunes. I hope that you have a great time! Then tell me how it was!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Mar 3 2012, 09:11 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hola Gabriel!

The show was really awesome, Rise Against is a great live band and you were right about the energy, I really had a blast biggrin.gif
While the Dream Theater show 2 weeks ago inspired me to practice a lot more laugh.gif this show inspired me to pick up my guitar and write some cool punk tunes biggrin.gif

Here is a video I found on youtube of yesterday's show. Tim did a short acoustic set in the middle of the show, and I gotta say the atmosphere was really nice during the two acoustic songs.

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 3 2012, 04:54 PM
Instructor
That's great mate! It's always inspiring to see live shows of our favourite bands. I have seen both bands live and they did very different concerts but I think that I had the same reaction than you... I will be seeing Foo Fighters and Artic Monkeys the next month... I'm sure that I will be very inspired of this concert.. the thing that most inspired me from the FF is their live concerts, their energy, the way how the re-arrange the songs or add riffs or improvisations to their songs. It's an important inspiration for me and my band.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Mar 3 2012, 05:05 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I've seen FF and the Arctic Monkey last year at the Hurricane festival. FF are simply one of the best live bands ever, Dave Grohl is a great guy with a great personality and it really shows during the live concerts.
The Arctic Monkey did play really good, nothing wrong here, but as I said before they didn't really interact with the crowd like other bands, so the show was a bit boring to me. Still, I really enjoyed your lesson in their style and will learn it soon wink.gif
I didn't analyze any more songs today, instead I composed a punk song of my own and am in the process of recording and mixing right now. You can expect a result within the next few hours. I'm really happy about the result of the song and am looking forward to your feedback smile.gif
Here are the warm-up licks, I recorded them at 100 BPM. Legato is my main weakness I'd say, but these licks really helped me get more confident with it. Tell me what you think about it! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Gitarrero: Mar 3 2012, 05:05 PM

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 3 2012, 05:26 PM
Instructor
good job man! yeah, I can note that legato is your weakness but you are doing a good job. I can note that the first one is the one that you find more difficult and it's for me the most effective of this exercises. I recommend you to practice these ones in the G strings now, because it makes you play with more strength. The exercises sound good and the only thing that I can say is keep on practising! smile.gif
I would like to see you start working on lick number 7 that is the main pattern of the second part of the Intensive Technique Course. Have you tried it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Mar 3 2012, 06:32 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Haven't tried it yet, just looked for it. Is it the Left Hand Exercise with 4 exercises?

By the way, here is the song I composed today. I am already writing lyrics for it and will try to record them soon biggrin.gif

http://soundcloud.com/gitarrero/bring-me-down-no-more

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 3 2012, 08:02 PM
Instructor
hey man! that sounds really good! I like the main riff. It's very punk style like Offspring, Rise Against, Bad Religion. I think that you should work a bit on the structure since I feel that the song is a bit long... maybe the first chorus could be half of what it is and the same with the second verse. I like the fact that you added a bridge (part C) between the second chorus and the last one.. I would like to see it more worked... even it could be longer and with some kind of "emotive"evolution. By the way I'm curious to know the melody that you have in mind...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Mar 3 2012, 08:23 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Thanks for the feedback Gabriel!
Yeah, I also thought of cutting the first chorus and maybe both verses, depending on the lyrics. I am trying out different melodies at the moment, I'm sure I'll record some vocals within the next days.
How could I create an emotive evolution in the song? Start with less agressive guitars maybe?

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 3 2012, 10:21 PM
Instructor
You should check the bridges in the songs that you are analysing or maybe on other ones... the idea is to create any type of evolution in that section, sometimes with the chord progression, sometimes with the addition of guitars or other instruments... you have to achieve making the people feel chills...

let me show you some songs that I think that has cool "parts C"

at 2:12

at 2:03

at 2:08

Blink usually adds a musical part that adds some cool feeling to the tune and separates chorus 2 from 3.
at 2:50

at 2:39... EPIC!

at 1:54 My band! smile.gif

at 1:54 again my band.. ohmy.gif ... at the same minute!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Mar 20 2012, 11:43 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hi Gabriel!

Just letting you know I am back from two busy weeks of work and travelling, so it's time for some guitar practice again.
I will also work on the song again, now that I haven't touched it for two weeks smile.gif

Christian

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 20 2012, 03:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Mar 20 2012, 07:43 AM) *
Hi Gabriel!

Just letting you know I am back from two busy weeks of work and travelling, so it's time for some guitar practice again.
I will also work on the song again, now that I haven't touched it for two weeks smile.gif

Christian

Great! Welcome back mate! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Mar 20 2012, 04:08 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Just working on lesson 7 of the ITC program, was that the lickj you had in mind?
Any more suggestions what I should practice? Time to get to a regular practice routine again biggrin.gif

--------------------
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:19 PM