Attempt At Up Tempo Blues Jam
ParalyzedHorse
Nov 1 2008, 08:07 AM
GMC:er
Hi Jose,

Well I've been practicing your lesson for two days now, and I just wanted to show you my progress. Its not nearly as good as I want it to be, but I just felt like making a video smile.gif

This is the first thing I've learned outside of rock and metal and I thought it was hard to learn compared to those genres. The rhythm was especially hard for me to figure out, and I'm pretty sure I still have a lot of timing problems to fix.

Please watch this and give me all criticisms that come to your mind. (probably alot lol) I really want to improve!

Thanks Jose

oh yeah sorry about the slide before the alternate picking run, i dunno what i was thinking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Tmj8sLwz4

edit: sorry for the sound quality, I dragged the computer mike in front of the amp to record :/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ParalyzedHorse: Nov 1 2008, 08:10 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Nov 2 2008, 06:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ParalyzedHorse @ Nov 1 2008, 03:07 AM) *
Hi Jose,

Well I've been practicing your lesson for two days now, and I just wanted to show you my progress. Its not nearly as good as I want it to be, but I just felt like making a video smile.gif

This is the first thing I've learned outside of rock and metal and I thought it was hard to learn compared to those genres. The rhythm was especially hard for me to figure out, and I'm pretty sure I still have a lot of timing problems to fix.

Please watch this and give me all criticisms that come to your mind. (probably alot lol) I really want to improve!

Thanks Jose

oh yeah sorry about the slide before the alternate picking run, i dunno what i was thinking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11Tmj8sLwz4

edit: sorry for the sound quality, I dragged the computer mike in front of the amp to record :/

Just saw the video, you learned every note, good job. You are right, this swing or shuffle feel is hard to grasp specially when we come from Rock/Metal background (myself included). Back when I was younger and went to jam with others and people started playing a nice bluesy rhythm and asked me to solo, I made a complete fool out of myself.

So here is my advice:

To help you with the rhythm shuffle feel, try to simply rake the strings with this rhythm, I hope you get what I mean, one way to look at it is using triplets, but not playing on note, try this on one string, not playing any note that should help you with the rhythm, little by little it will become natural, and you just stop thinking about it.

|--3--| |--3--| |--3--|
x----x--x----x--x----x

Your bends are quite good and in tune, just try to add a little vibrato on the longer bends, and let them ring longer, all this is a matter of practice.

Another thing, do not call it blues failure, you are practicing and having fun, I really enjoyed watching your attempt to do the lesson, made my day, I just came back from playing at a club, and didn't sound that good, this cheered me up.

Keep up the good work

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Jose Mena: Nov 2 2008, 03:42 PM

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
ParalyzedHorse
Nov 2 2008, 08:00 AM
GMC:er
Thanks Jose,

I'm glad that I could make your day a little bit better. I will definitely try your advice of playing without notes.

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Nov 2 2008, 03:49 PM
Instructor
I hope I didn't confuse you with my explanation, using triplets is a good way to understand how to play swing or shuffle.

check out this article hopefully it clears up what I tried to say

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuffle_rhythm

cheers

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:19 PM