6 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Dieterle's Bootcamp, Two Picks Enter, One Pick Leaves!!
Todd Simpson
Jan 10 2013, 07:47 AM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!

MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SLOWWWWWWLLY, very SLOWWWLLLLYYYY until you master it at a crawl (As You'll Do With Each Mission, and focus on left hand FORM! Make it SUPER PERFECT!). Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP!

Here is your link your personal training ground/HELL!

http://bitly.com/dieterlesbootcamp

Practice!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Jan 10 2013, 05:28 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thank you Sir !

I am proud that you are my Drill Instructor , even when i am a bit scared mellow.gif

So i stard at the very ground -- looking forward to kick asses rolleyes.gif

Dieter

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 11 2013, 08:26 AM
Welcome to the fight Soldier!!!!

Todd

QUOTE (Dieterle @ Jan 10 2013, 11:28 AM) *
Thank you Sir !

I am proud that you are my Drill Instructor , even when i am a bit scared mellow.gif

So i stard at the very ground -- looking forward to kick asses rolleyes.gif

Dieter

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Jan 14 2013, 07:11 PM
Ok Todd here a first Record smile.gif !

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 16 2013, 04:19 AM
Congrats on your FIRST BATTLE!!!! Your picking looks good and your form is good as well!!!! The only trouble is that I'm having trouble telling where your pick strikes are synching with the beat. If you would, try to use either a simple click metronome, or very basic drum beat like we do in chat. That way, I can tell much easier where you pick strikes are synching to the beat. You are VERY close to your first rank up Soldier!!!!

Todd

QUOTE (Dieterle @ Jan 14 2013, 01:11 PM) *
Ok Todd here a first Record smile.gif !

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Jan 16 2013, 08:42 PM
Here with a bit less drum bits - Metronome is to quietly on zoom hope this is better 240 bpm ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 17 2013, 02:06 AM
You've got the technique down solder but that "hot for teacher" beat is preventing you from synching up properly. For bootcamp, try to use a simple beat not much different than a metronome click if at all possible. Nothing with any "Swing" in it. It's just for reference timing after all. Here is an MP3 of a straight beat at 140 BPM. If you play twice as fast as the track, you'll be playing at 280. Half as fast, you'll be doing 70 bpm. All while using the same beat. Give this one a listen and try to use it in your next recording. I hate to have you do this again soldier, but I need to be able to hear the synchronization between your picking and the beat. Fight on!!!

Attached File  140BPM.mp3 ( 475.43K ) Number of downloads: 210

[quote name='Dieterle' post='627808' date='Jan 16 2013, 02:42 PM']Here with a bit less drum bits - Metronome is to quietly on zoom hope this is better 240 bpm ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 27 2013, 06:40 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 17 2013, 02:46 AM
Soldier, here is a drum track to use for your next mission attempt!!

Attached File  140BPM.mp3 ( 475.43K ) Number of downloads: 175

Here is a quick vid I did as an example of what I"m looking for in your Mission Video, Soldier! One pass of single picking, one pass of double picking, make sure I can see your picking hand and fretting hand, and using a simple beat locked in to each pick strike. Here it is Soldier!!!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 18 2013, 03:53 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 21 2013, 06:36 AM
BTW Soldier, I"m doing SINGLE and DOUBLE picking in the demo vid here, the Tablature is QUAD picking. Any and all of the above will qualify soldier!

Sarge
Todd

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 16 2013, 08:06 PM) *
You've got the technique down solder but that "hot for teacher" beat is preventing you from synching up properly. For bootcamp, try to use a simple beat not much different than a metronome click if at all possible. Nothing with any "Swing" in it. It's just for reference timing after all. Here is an MP3 of a straight beat at 140 BPM. If you play twice as fast as the track, you'll be playing at 280. Half as fast, you'll be doing 70 bpm. All while using the same beat. Give this one a listen and try to use it in your next recording. I hate to have you do this again soldier, but I need to be able to hear the synchronization between your picking and the beat. Fight on!!!

Attached File  140BPM.mp3 ( 475.43K ) Number of downloads: 210

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Jan 21 2013, 07:03 PM
Hello Todd , i am stil on planet !

After a busy weekend - coffee time in my office and to calm down your Lick 1 Exercise :-)

without the beat you given me but a simular one - hope it works it`s a blues beat with the main Bap hit huh.gif

Dieter

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 22 2013, 09:55 PM
Soldier, we still have the same issue here. Your playing isn't tied to the beat as far as I can hear sad.gif and the beat is too complex to serve as a Metronome. What are you using for drums? If you can program it, make a single snare or bass drum beat if you would. Keep it as simple as humanly possible. Just click, click, click, so that your picking can line up with the click, click, click, make sense?

Also, maybe slow down a bit, it sounds like your timing is drifting a bit. It doesn't have to be played fast soldier, just with precision. As in COMBAT, you don't have to shoot 100 rounds to kill 1 guy. One Shot One Kill!!! smile.gif

Watch this video again, I'm doing ONE PICK STROKE PER NOTE, then TWO PICK STROKES PER NOTE, which would work fine for your MISSION. The tablature for MISSION 1 is just doing FOUR STROKES PER NOTE. Do some of each, but slower, and with a Metronome style beat, and you will get your mission badge!!!!

Todd

QUOTE (Dieterle @ Jan 21 2013, 01:03 PM) *
Hello Todd , i am stil on planet !

After a busy weekend - coffee time in my office and to calm down your Lick 1 Exercise :-)

without the beat you given me but a simular one - hope it works it`s a blues beat with the main Bap hit huh.gif

Dieter

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 22 2013, 09:57 PM

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Jan 23 2013, 09:01 PM
OK Todd !

First = 1 2 1 2 Second = 11 22 11 22

Dieter

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2013, 01:14 AM
There ya go!!! Soldier, sometimes the hardest thing is learning to follow orders! You sir have just ......

LEVELED UP!!!!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)Good hand synch
2.)Playing with the beat
3.)Following Mission Orders!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Dieterle @ Jan 23 2013, 03:01 PM) *
OK Todd !

First = 1 2 1 2 Second = 11 22 11 22

Dieter

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 10 2015, 03:20 AM

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Jan 24 2013, 08:47 AM
Good morning General Todd !

Wow now i feel myself as human being again - before hmm Orang Utan ape or so ;-)

Actually i am a General too and sometimes its not easy to listen to others orders - just not used to it - except the orders from my wife rolleyes.gif

Dieter

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 25 2013, 01:09 AM
I hear ya Soldier!! It's never easy in BOOTCAMP!!! Congrats on taking your first step!!! When you feel like getting your hands dirty, proceed to MISSION II!

Todd

QUOTE (Dieterle @ Jan 24 2013, 02:47 AM) *
Good morning General Todd !

Wow now i feel myself as human being again - before hmm Orang Utan ape or so ;-)

Actually i am a General too and sometimes its not easy to listen to others orders - just not used to it - except the orders from my wife rolleyes.gif

Dieter

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Jan 27 2013, 07:19 PM
Hello Todd , ALLES KLAR !

I made my lick 2 record and keep it a bit slower cool.gif hope it is OK for ya ?

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 28 2013, 08:42 AM
Good to see you back in the fight Soldier!!! You have clearly put in some time in the killing fields but I am going to have to send you back out kill again on this one. I notice your hand is shifting a bit in between each note.

Let's Debrief!!!

1.)Try to use proper hand position if possible (thumb can go near the top of the neck, but not to far over, try to keep it closer to the middle)

2.)Your Sitting SIDE SADLE Soldier!!! For bootcamp, try to sit in proper Classical position with your guitar between your legs. THis provides a superior angle of attack on the fret board. You can always go back to side saddle later. Here is a pic of Chris Broderic from Megadeth playing a classical guitar and his position is textbook perfect. The reason to do this is simply that it offers easy access for the hand to the fretboard. It's pure physics.

Attached Image

3.)Try to make pick strikes directly on a given count/beat 1,2,3,4. You can increase the metronome speed to make clicks more frequent to make sure you are striking on a beat/click. This is the key to "timing" and eventually you will play "around" the beat, but first you have to learn to play on the beat.

Keep up the fight Soldier!!!

Sarge
Todd

Also,
QUOTE (Dieterle @ Jan 27 2013, 01:19 PM) *
Hello Todd , ALLES KLAR !

I made my lick 2 record and keep it a bit slower cool.gif hope it is OK for ya ?

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Jan 30 2013, 05:52 PM
Hallo Todd !

a noter go biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Jan 31 2013, 02:51 PM
Here with 140 bpm , Todd !

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 31 2013, 03:43 PM
Much better Soldier!!! Your sitting technique is much better. In the next mission vid, move your left knee a bit to the left so the guitar sits actually in between your legs. This will allow you greater access to the fret board. Also, your thumb is still cheating up a bit above the top of the neck. For the next mission, work on keeping it in the middle and developing an arch in your left hand. Much like our Maestro from Megadeth is doing in that picture smile.gif But that said,

CONGRATULATIONS SOLDIER!!! YOU JUST LEVELED UP!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)Vast improvements in technique
2.)Consisten pick strikes
3.)Good hand synch

Attached Image

QUOTE (Dieterle @ Jan 31 2013, 08:51 AM) *
Here with 140 bpm , Todd !

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 1 2013, 11:41 PM

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:48 AM