3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Ibanez Info Thread, Got and Ibby? Got a question? This thread is for you!
Yash
Nov 15 2014, 02:49 PM
GMC:er
Hi Todd smile.gif Amazing Thread you got here man smile.gif I am not that much of an Ibanez fanboy, I am more of a Jackson Fanboy, but, I must say, that the RG series body looks more killer than a Jackson Soloist. Does there exist an Ibanez guitar with such a sharp body, made of Alder or Poplar or Maple, a thin Maple neck (maybe Wizard) with neck through construction, Ebony Fingerboard, with those killer Sharktooth inlays, or anything but dots. tongue.gif Double Locking Trem. Preferably in a quilt maple top which is red or white. Basically, an Ibanez superstrat which resembles a Jackson. I've tried a few Ibanez's and must say, playability was great. BUT, when I played a low end soloist and then an RG, I seem to like the tone of the Soloist and not the RG sad.gif I would like to own such an old used Ibanez someday, but, the question is - Does it exist ? wink.gif Also, do people tend to get mods on their Ibanez-es ? Or keep them stock ? And, if there does exist such a guitar, how do I search for one ? What do I type in the EBay search bar ? tongue.gif

PS - I am in love with the RG body, if I find such an Ibanez, that shall be my third real electric guitar ! If not, I'd go for the Jackson Soloist. I also like the Steve Vai JEM shape smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Yash: Nov 15 2014, 05:12 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 15 2014, 04:40 PM
SERENDIPITY Mr. Yash!!! I was just about to make a post about Ibby guitars that would fit your description smile.gif There are several but what came to mind first is the 2002, neck through body Prestige series with dual humbuckers (althought without shark fin inlay). They feature killer necks and since it's neck through body, they have great sustain and resonance. To wit!!

Attached Image

Or you could go for the 2009 RGT series with neck through and shark fin inlay. The two on the far left in this pic. The black one and white one. I've always wanted the white one with the maple neck smile.gif

Here is more info on the IBBY WIKI
http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RGT42DX

Attached Image

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Nov 15 2014, 05:16 PM

+Quote Post
Yash
Nov 16 2014, 12:27 PM
Who told them to put black inlays on a guitar with a dark colored fingerboard ? dry.gif Couldn't they have simply put white inlays ? Man.. I tell you what, companies just don't make uber amazing affordable guitars. They can do it, but they won't mad.gif To get what you want, you need to go to the custom shop ! But then again, I might be just toooo specific tongue.gif I always wants mods to a guitar to fit it into my perspective. And some mods might be impossible to do.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 17 2014, 06:02 PM
Hehehehehe smile.gif You kill me!!! But your right! They just don't make cheap guitars that are UBER amazing smile.gif Your best bet is probably a MIJ ibby for that.

QUOTE (Yash @ Nov 16 2014, 07:27 AM) *
Who told them to put black inlays on a guitar with a dark colored fingerboard ? dry.gif Couldn't they have simply put white inlays ? Man.. I tell you what, companies just don't make uber amazing affordable guitars. They can do it, but they won't mad.gif To get what you want, you need to go to the custom shop ! But then again, I might be just toooo specific tongue.gif I always wants mods to a guitar to fit it into my perspective. And some mods might be impossible to do.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2015, 10:20 AM
IBANEZ NECKS DEMYSTIFIED!

*Folks are ever curious about the magical Ibanez Necks. Here is a list of ALL the ibby necks smile.gif The primo super spiff necks are the 17mm variety, followed by the 18mm variety, then the more common 19mm. Even the 19mm is smooth as silk to play, but try one of the 17mm necks and it's hard to enjoy anything else!

WIZARD SERIES NECKS
Attached Image

ALL NECKS
Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 24 2015, 10:22 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 29 2015, 07:33 PM
More IBBY History and Info smile.gif This time, historic RG and GX models. I've been on the lookout for this reverse headstock 220 for quite some time.
Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 29 2015, 07:34 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 9 2015, 08:49 AM
IDENTIFY YOUR IBBY!!!

Found a very spiff site that will let you put in the Serial Number on your Ibanez and tell you all about it smile.gif

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/ibanez.aspx

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 28 2015, 04:19 AM
Wanted to enshrine a pic of the amazing RG700 series (parts built in Japan, put together in America). Among other guitars it's one I someday hope to have smile.gif They are getting very rare in good condition.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil66
Feb 28 2015, 09:11 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I tell you what I'd like to find, a nice 80's R series (later to become the JS series I think) not many about though sad.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 28 2015, 11:47 PM
I'm with ya smile.gif I"m more of an RG than R guy though. Mine is that 89 RG560 MIJ that I"m usually playing. (The one I'll be buried with). But yeah, they are getting harder and harder to find. Most of the necks on them have either snapped or warped or both. They were just paper thin which is part of what made them so special. Also, back in the day, each and every neck was HAND FINISHED just like in a custom shop! Now it's just not that way on the mid range ibby stuff. I"ve played some that actually had unfinished frets on them. Very sad. Not to mention the pickups have slipped a bit in the mid range line. But they are a biz after all not a charity so....

Anyhoo, keep an eye out!! Let us know if you find one smile.gif
(the 560 is on the right)
Attached Image
Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Feb 28 2015, 04:11 PM) *
I tell you what I'd like to find, a nice 80's R series (later to become the JS series I think) not many about though sad.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 28 2015, 11:50 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 5 2015, 10:42 PM
Some crazy cool ibbys from the "Golden Age" that had custom paint/graphics. Always wanted one of these smile.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jul 7 2015, 03:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
I'm still kinda regretting I didn't wait and buy a fanned frets 8 string Ibanez instead of the one I got, though I'm pretty pleased with my guitar, mind you, I'd love to try an FF.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 13 2015, 06:00 AM
At the time you couldn't have bought one as they were not available yet smile.gif And as far as I know they are STILL not available so you don't have anything to beat yourself up about!! God only knows when they will actually release them here in the states. The ONLY way I know to get one right now is to use ebay have have it imported from JAPAN!!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-Iron-Label-...d-/301683038278

So yeah, these are as rare as "hens teeth" as they say here smile.gif Maybe someday they will show up in the wild. Then again, maybe they are already in Europe? Have you actually seen one?

But yeah, I'd LOVE one of the fanned 8 strings!!! IMHO 8 string guitars without fanned frets are simply not expressive instruments. sad.gif I"ve got a very nice Strictly 7, 8 String and it RAWKS and DJENTS but it's not really that expressive simply due to the insane scale length and string tension. Thus, why you hear bands that use 8s being typified by chug. Not in all cases of course, and there are plenty of exceptions that make the rule not break the rule but still smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jul 7 2015, 10:35 AM) *
I'm still kinda regretting I didn't wait and buy a fanned frets 8 string Ibanez instead of the one I got, though I'm pretty pleased with my guitar, mind you, I'd love to try an FF.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 13 2015, 07:01 PM
Todd,

On an RG1570 with standard V7 S7 and V8 pickups, how far should each pickup be from the strings?

Cheers buddy.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 13 2015, 07:30 PM
There is no hard fast rule in general but the typically the closer you get them to the strings, the more gain/brightness you get can get. I personally push my bridge pickup close to the strings and back off the neck pickup a bit.

I LOVE the V series pickups. IMHO the best pickups IBBY ever made. As a matter of fact there is a big aftermarket for them and they are 25 years old at this point. My V2 pickups in my RG560 is my fave pickup ever. It's an ALNICO 5 magnet and sounds killer.

Ibby started to cheap out a bit with the INF series which sounded a bit muddy and used ceramic in the bridge sad.gif That's when folks started just swapping out their pickups right away.

Here is a pick of mine smile.gif
Attached Image

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 13 2015, 02:01 PM) *
Todd,

On an RG1570 with standard V7 S7 and V8 pickups, how far should each pickup be from the strings?

Cheers buddy.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 13 2015, 08:11 PM
Thanks Todd,

It's just that a while back in one of my lessons Kris said that maybe the pickups were too close and killing sustain so I thought I'd ask wink.gif

Cheers

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 13 2015, 10:01 PM
That's always a concern to be sure smile.gif IF they are too close, actually nearly touching the strings, they will reduce string vibration/sustain. However, if you keep them about like I've got in the picture it should be fine. Usually it's a issue with a noise gate or something killing sustain. What was your noise gate during the recording? Plugin?

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 13 2015, 03:11 PM) *
Thanks Todd,

It's just that a while back in one of my lessons Kris said that maybe the pickups were too close and killing sustain so I thought I'd ask wink.gif

Cheers

Don't forget guys that you can just type in your serial number (back of your headstock) on your Ibanez or any Ibanez you are thinking of buying ( you can use this on your phone as well) and find out what vintage it is and if it's really made in japan, etc.

Here is my result

Guitar Info
Your guitar was made at the
Fuji-gen Plant, Japan
Production Number: 24754

Fuji String Instrument Production Corporation
Fuji String Instrument Production Corporation was opened in may 1960, they initially started manufacturing violins and quickly switched to classical guitar production. In 1962 electric guitar construction was started. Fujigen has a reputation for excellent quality and craftsmanship so the guitars they produce are highly regarded. They produce guitars via OEM for famous brands such as Ibanez, Epiphone, Yamaha and Fender (the import Special Interest Group nature model), G&L and others.

Attached Image

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 9 2015, 03:49 AM) *
IDENTIFY YOUR IBBY!!!

Found a very spiff site that will let you put in the Serial Number on your Ibanez and tell you all about it smile.gif

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/ibanez.aspx

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 13 2015, 10:01 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 13 2015, 09:58 PM) *
That's always a concern to be sure smile.gif IF they are too close, actually nearly touching the strings, they will reduce string vibration/sustain. However, if you keep them about like I've got in the picture it should be fine. Usually it's a issue with a noise gate or something killing sustain. What was your noise gate during the recording? Plugin?

Ohhhh I can't remember mate. It would have been a plugin though but more than likely nothing as I don't understand them. Recently I've been using the Slash one in Amplitude exactly as it comes out of the box, I don't mess wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 14 2015, 03:07 AM
Look for the noise gate knob if you can smile.gif That one thing can kill all your sustain!

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 13 2015, 05:01 PM) *
Ohhhh I can't remember mate. It would have been a plugin though but more than likely nothing as I don't understand them. Recently I've been using the Slash one in Amplitude exactly as it comes out of the box, I don't mess wink.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 14 2015, 10:13 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 14 2015, 03:07 AM) *
Look for the noise gate knob if you can smile.gif That one thing can kill all your sustain!

Yeah I know that mate, never use it. I think it was more a technique thing as it was sustain on a bend that was dropping.

Cheers buddy

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:09 PM