Superimposing Pentatonics
Tolek
Jan 14 2010, 04:55 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Master!
As requested I post my PM in your board. smile.gif
I´ve got to test my comprehension of the theory that you explained in the last 2 days: superimposing pentatonics. If I´m not mistaken, the procedure to find out which pentatonics to use to sound in a certain way works as follows:

If you want to give a phrygian taste to your solo (only possible over a MINOR chord), you have to go down a min 3rd in order to find the scale that you can withdraw the pentatonics. Then you look at the MINOR chords of the scale (II III VI). As the III degree is our initial chord, you leave it out; it wouldn´t sound phrygy as it is the normal pentatonic of the chord. You can now apply the pentatonic scale of the II and VI degree while using chord tones from the initial chord to end the licks on and you sound phrygy!
Example:
initial chord: Em7
min 3rd down: C
minor pentatonics: D min (common chord note: D G ), A min (common chord note: D E G) (the A min pentatonic includes no F, so it won´t sound phrygy actually... huh.gif)

The same works for dorian, right?

If you want to give a dorian taste to your solo (only possible over a MINOR chord), you have to go down a Maj 2nd in order to find the scale that you can withdraw the pentatonics. Then you look at the MINOR chords of the scale (II III VI). As the II degree is our initial chord, you leave it out; it wouldn´t sound dory as it is the normal pentatonic of the chord. You can now apply the pentatonic scale of the III and VI degree while using chord tones from the initial chord to end the licks on and you sound dory! (dory... biggrin.gif)
Example:
initial chord: Dm7
Maj 2nd down: C
minor pentatonics: E min (common chord note: A D), A min (common chord note: A C D) (the A min pentatonic includes no B, so it won´t sound dory actually... huh.gif)

Same for mixolydian?

If you want to give a mixolydian taste to your solo (only possible over a MAJOR chord), you have to go down a perfect 5th in order to find the scale that you can withdraw the pentatonics. Then you look at the MAJOR chords of the scale (I IV V). As the V degree is our initial chord, you leave it out; it wouldn´t sound mixolydian as it is the normal pentatonic of the chord. You can now apply the pentatonic scale of the I and IV degree while using chord tones from the initial chord to end the licks on and you sound mixolydian!
Example:
initial chord: G7 (or just simply G)
Perf 5th down: C
Major pentatonics: C (common chord note: D G), F (common chord note: F G D) (the C Maj pentatonic includes no F, so it won´t sound mixolydian actually... huh.gif)

The same goes for every other mode, right?

Please correct me if I´m wrong.

Another topic. You were talking about superlocrian. Is it the harmonic minor scale or melodic minor scale starting with the 7th degree? Or none of both? laugh.gif

Cheers, bro! smile.gif

Tolek

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 14 2010, 06:07 PM
Instructor
Tolek you got it all correct except the 1st part of analysis for Phrygian superimposing. To find original major scale from 3rd scale degree minor chord (III min) you need to go down MAJOR 3rd or 2 whole steps. You can now work out the rest of pentatonics.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jan 14 2010, 07:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jan 14 2010, 06:07 PM) *
Tolek you got it all correct except the 1st part of analysis for Phrygian superimposing. To find original major scale from 3rd scale degree minor chord (III min) you need to go down MAJOR 3rd or 2 whole steps. You can now work out the rest of pentatonics.

Ah, stupid mistake! Of course I know that E -> C is a MAJ 3rd down... smile.gif

What about those pentatonics that have no note that would give the character of a note? Example: Amin Pentatonic over Em7. I can use them anyway, but it won´t be that effective, right?

You didn´t answer my last question tongue.gif :
You were talking about superlocrian. Is it the harmonic minor scale or melodic minor scale starting with the 7th degree? Or none of both?

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 22 2010, 05:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Tolek @ Jan 14 2010, 07:25 PM) *
Ah, stupid mistake! Of course I know that E -> C is a MAJ 3rd down... smile.gif

What about those pentatonics that have no note that would give the character of a note? Example: Amin Pentatonic over Em7. I can use them anyway, but it won´t be that effective, right?

You didn´t answer my last question tongue.gif :
You were talking about superlocrian. Is it the harmonic minor scale or melodic minor scale starting with the 7th degree? Or none of both?

A min pentatonic over E min7 would give you some sort of Aeolian and/or Phrygian mode.
Regarding your question for Superlocrian or ALTERED mode, it comes from Melodic minor 7th scale degree. Let me know if you got more questions.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:49 AM