2 Pages V   1 2 >  
How To Get Strong Ph ?
Christophe
Feb 12 2010, 05:07 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey guyz

I'd like to know how I could get strong/powerful harmonics, cause mines are horrible, and maybe techniques to make harmonics tongue.gif

In order to play the PH of that lesson HTWYFS

Thanks wink.gif

PS : Oh ! 100th post XD

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Christophe: Feb 12 2010, 05:08 PM

--------------------
Gear : ESP LTD MH-401QM ; Zoom G2.1Nu ; Blackstar HT-5 Preamp ; Blackstar HT-112 Speaker;
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 12 2010, 05:31 PM
Learning Tone Master
Do you already know how to produce the Pinch Harmonic and it just sounds weak or can't you do them at all?

It takes a lot of practice to get them right and there is no shortcut to good technique but some things will help you:

-Use the Bridge pickup, preferably a humbucker. A high output humbucker helps too but it isn't neccessary...
-Use a lot of gain and a lot of treble on the amp
-Thicker strings result in louder harmonics
-Use fresh strings
-Once you hit the PH, use a lot of fast and wide vibrato to make the harmonics scream and squeal

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 12 2010, 06:19 PM
Instructor
There are certain places on the string above the pickups that are sweet spots for PH. You gotta find those, and make sure you execute PH exactly there every time. On my guitar it's somewhere above the middle pickup, but you should investigate where it comes out the most. Plenty of overdrive, bridge pickup, and more top end on the amp's EQ should help accent the PH you execute.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 12 2010, 06:56 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
The above tips are all fine, and I'd like to add that there's also a difference in between the strings. I find them easiest to produce on the D and G string. B string is doable, high E is hard. It's almost impossible for me to get a nice harmonic on the low E and the A string is prety hard as well.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Damir Puh
Feb 13 2010, 01:58 AM
Instructor
Make sure you don't dampen the string with your thumb too much, that can be one of the problems (very common one). And yes, good vibrato is essential here - no matter how good your harmonic is, it will sound lifeless without vibrato.

+Quote Post
Christophe
Feb 13 2010, 01:59 AM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Feb 12 2010, 05:31 PM) *
Do you already know how to produce the Pinch Harmonic and it just sounds weak or can't you do them at all?

It takes a lot of practice to get them right and there is no shortcut to good technique but some things will help you:

-Use the Bridge pickup, preferably a humbucker. A high output humbucker helps too but it isn't neccessary...
-Use a lot of gain and a lot of treble on the amp
-Thicker strings result in louder harmonics
-Use fresh strings
-Once you hit the PH, use a lot of fast and wide vibrato to make the harmonics scream and squeal

Yep I know how to make PH, and it sounds weak :/

What do you mean about "Use the Bridge pickup", I don't see what you're meaning.
I'll put treble at 80%, is that correct ? (Low and Mid on disto pedal change some things or ?)
Ok, I should buy new strings so ^^
And yes for vibrato, I saw many times Lian doing vibrato as hell when he pinches smile.gif

Thanks for that help man !

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 12 2010, 06:19 PM) *
There are certain places on the string above the pickups that are sweet spots for PH. You gotta find those, and make sure you execute PH exactly there every time. On my guitar it's somewhere above the middle pickup, but you should investigate where it comes out the most. Plenty of overdrive, bridge pickup, and more top end on the amp's EQ should help accent the PH you execute.

Yeah, there are differents places, and it differs from each type of guitar (I mean Les Paul and Stratocaster for instance), does the place changes on each string ?

QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Feb 12 2010, 06:56 PM) *
The above tips are all fine, and I'd like to add that there's also a difference in between the strings. I find them easiest to produce on the D and G string. B string is doable, high E is hard. It's almost impossible for me to get a nice harmonic on the low E and the A string is prety hard as well.

I agree ! Low E and high E are hard to make harmonics Oo

PS : @Damir I use approximatively 3mm of my thumb to make PH

This post has been edited by Christophe: Feb 13 2010, 02:01 AM

--------------------
Gear : ESP LTD MH-401QM ; Zoom G2.1Nu ; Blackstar HT-5 Preamp ; Blackstar HT-112 Speaker;

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 13 2010, 02:05 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Christophe @ Feb 13 2010, 01:59 AM) *
Yeah, there are differents places, and it differs from each type of guitar (I mean Les Paul and Stratocaster for instance), does the place changes on each string ?

On the same instrument, I believe the place on each string is pretty much the same (vertical line). And yes, bends and vibratos make it sound effective.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Damir Puh
Feb 13 2010, 02:31 AM
Instructor
Well, from what I've read it seems you're doing the right thing... equipment certainly helps, but if your technique is good you can get a PH from unamplified guitar too (very quiet one though biggrin.gif ). A video of you playing some pinched harmonics would help determine the problem.

+Quote Post
Crazy_Diamond
Feb 13 2010, 02:41 AM
Learning Rock Star
Spend time on your sweet spot... I mean take a note and try to pinch in different place, you will hear some harmonics. You really have to spend some time on learning the technique it is not that easy...

I agree with Kaz the D and G string are the easiest to do. The low E string is the hardest but IMO is the coolest. It looks like you are doign the good thing you just need to practice. I have just start to master them on the low e string and it so fun to do. Practice this technique it is rewarding. And your fellows always drop there jaws when you do a nice p.h.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Christophe
Feb 13 2010, 06:31 AM
Thanks for those comments ^^ I'll post a video playing Pinch Harmonics tomorrow (Hmm today in fact).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Christophe
Feb 13 2010, 04:10 PM
Oh god, my index finger is almost bleeding, that hurts ><

--------------------

+Quote Post
Christophe
Feb 13 2010, 09:48 PM
Here's my take (xD many mistakes dont care about them pls biggrin.gif, if Lian come here, I'm dead biggrin.gif)

This post has been edited by Christophe: Feb 13 2010, 09:49 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Feb 13 2010, 09:54 PM
Learning Tone Master
You are on the right way, just keep practicing! It takes some time to make them scream out.
Make sure you find a good spot to pick the harmonic from and experiment with the right motion to capture a clear sounding harmonic and then give it a strong vibrato. Currently your vibrato is not very controlled so you might want to work on a steady and strong vibrato technique too.

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Christophe
Feb 13 2010, 09:59 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Feb 13 2010, 09:54 PM) *
You are on the right way, just keep practicing! It takes some time to make them scream out.
Make sure you find a good spot to pick the harmonic from and experiment with the right motion to capture a clear sounding harmonic and then give it a strong vibrato. Currently your vibrato is not very controlled so you might want to work on a steady and strong vibrato technique too.

Thanks Zakk laugh.gif

But as you saw, sometimes I don't find the right place to pick and it's very borring.. mad.gif
I can't make vibrato well yet because I feel strained when I make vibrato dry.gif

This post has been edited by Christophe: Feb 13 2010, 10:00 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 13 2010, 10:47 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Christophe @ Feb 13 2010, 09:59 PM) *
Thanks Zakk laugh.gif

But as you saw, sometimes I don't find the right place to pick and it's very borring.. mad.gif
I can't make vibrato well yet because I feel strained when I make vibrato dry.gif

I think that's the problem though - just relax about it and do it naturally, following the beat.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Ivan Zecic
Feb 14 2010, 12:10 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Christophe @ Feb 13 2010, 09:59 PM) *
Thanks Zakk laugh.gif

you can even practice vibrato like some other techniques, start slower (in this case really slow, and narrow, don't go too wide) and then go faster. the key is in getting your fingers/hands memorise the motion...

sometimes even bad pickups can actually ruin your pinched harmonics, but only to a certain extent... it's all in your fingers and a matter of practice.

--------------------
Check out my lessons!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 14 2010, 01:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ivan Zecic @ Feb 14 2010, 12:10 PM) *
you can even practice vibrato like some other techniques, start slower (in this case really slow, and narrow, don't go too wide) and then go faster. the key is in getting your fingers/hands memorise the motion...

sometimes even bad pickups can actually ruin your pinched harmonics, but only to a certain extent... it's all in your fingers and a matter of practice.

Just remember, it's not about having the fastest vibrato, but have it in feel with the music. If you have a slow ballad piece, you don't want some wide-fast-shred-omanic-yngwie vibratoing, in my opinion of course...

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 14 2010, 01:52 PM
Instructor
You are definitely on the right track. What I would suggest is to practice every note with PH and do it very slowly, no need to rush things.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Christophe
Feb 16 2010, 04:08 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 13 2010, 10:47 PM) *
I think that's the problem though - just relax about it and do it naturally, following the beat.

Yep I heard the same thing about Neoclassical Lesson from Emir, it's a point I have to fix !

QUOTE (Ivan Zecic @ Feb 14 2010, 12:10 PM) *

Yes but I prefer doing many times more playing at Normal BPM than playing slowly and do less times, excuse my obstinacy :/
And about my pickups : I don't think it cames from here because I've two EMG.

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Feb 14 2010, 01:52 PM) *
You are definitely on the right track. What I would suggest is to practice every note with PH and do it very slowly, no need to rush things.

Thanks Ivan, I'm glad to hear that from you smile.gif. Yeah, I can do that, I'll use pentatonic boxes instead of just playing notes like that ^^

This post has been edited by Christophe: Feb 16 2010, 04:09 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Damir Puh
Feb 16 2010, 05:28 PM
Instructor
You are definitely on the right track indeed! What holds you down a bit is your vibrato and intonation - keep working on that and your harmonics will scream! smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:03 PM