2 Pages V  < 1 2  
A Visual Approach To The Major Modes, Exercise, Theory and Application Lesson
enforcer
Jan 7 2009, 04:10 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (wrk @ Jan 7 2009, 04:14 PM) *
I would have let you answered first normally, but i thought it would be ok as it was a more general theory question smile.gif

dont mention it man, thank you biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jan 7 2009, 04:18 PM
Wel, just a brief look and you have already gelled something that was forming in my mind! smile.gif Maybe I'll actually learn something when I give a closer look tonight.

Thanks Can

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 7 2009, 04:40 PM
QUOTE (Toroso @ Jan 7 2009, 05:18 PM) *
Wel, just a brief look and you have already gelled something that was forming in my mind! smile.gif Maybe I'll actually learn something when I give a closer look tonight.

Thanks Can

Glad it worked for you man biggrin.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 7 2009, 04:46 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Great lesson Enforcer. I am currently continuously working on interval recognition instantly from the root note as a basis and then switch to a certain mode, but this approach is as useful for easy recognization when you quickly want to do a speedy run etc. smile.gif

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Dreamcatcher
Jan 7 2009, 04:46 PM
Being a rather Beginner at learning chords, scales, and patterns and such this was pretty awesome!! it fit right in with what I was currently learning perfectly so I could see the differences..Thanks so much man..great lesson!

--------------------
" Free Your Mind and Your Axe Will Follow" Vernon Reid (Living Colour)

+Quote Post
berko
Jan 7 2009, 05:00 PM
QUOTE (enforcer @ Jan 6 2009, 04:12 PM) *
While playing this pattern, we are actually playing a D Phrygian starting from the A string, a G Aeolian starting from the D string a C Dorian starting from the G string and F Ionian starting from the B string.

6. Conclussion

At the end you must always keep in mind that, modes are not about notes, they are about intervals. And also as B string is half note flat in relation to others, it shifts our forms one fret higher.

I really loved this lesson and it should be linked to Andrews theory board about major modes!

Thinking visually can help a lot learning the shapes but what's even more fantastic about this lesson is that you're not only talking about the 7 different shapes and how they are transposable everywhere over the neck but you also mention these patterns of fingerings (see quote). Which makes the understanding full because when you're doing so the understanding process does not only rely on visual memory but a deeper understanding of relative modes (and how they follow each other) which is essential for everbody learning music. When I read the fingering-idea in the first chapter I knew this would be your conclusion biggrin.gif (Also, yes we have to keep in mind that semitone missing at the B string...)

Very well structured, very well organized! Keep this awesome work up, man! smile.gif

EDIT: Typo in quotation: "conclusion" smile.gif

This post has been edited by berko: Jan 7 2009, 05:01 PM

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 7 2009, 05:17 PM
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Jan 7 2009, 05:46 PM) *
Great lesson Enforcer. I am currently continuously working on interval recognition instantly from the root note as a basis and then switch to a certain mode, but this approach is as useful for easy recognization when you quickly want to do a speedy run etc. smile.gif

I am planning to do a part2 of this lesson about intervals and mode native chords in a few days biggrin.gif

thank you biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Dreamcatcher @ Jan 7 2009, 05:46 PM) *
Being a rather Beginner at learning chords, scales, and patterns and such this was pretty awesome!! it fit right in with what I was currently learning perfectly so I could see the differences..Thanks so much man..great lesson!

I am really glad, you are welcome biggrin.gif

QUOTE (berko @ Jan 7 2009, 06:00 PM) *
I really loved this lesson and it should be linked to Andrews theory board about major modes!

Thinking visually can help a lot learning the shapes but what's even more fantastic about this lesson is that you're not only talking about the 7 different shapes and how they are transposable everywhere over the neck but you also mention these patterns of fingerings (see quote). Which makes the understanding full because when you're doing so the understanding process does not only rely on visual memory but a deeper understanding of relative modes (and how they follow each other) which is essential for everbody learning music. When I read the fingering-idea in the first chapter I knew this would be your conclusion biggrin.gif (Also, yes we have to keep in mind that semitone missing at the B string...)

Very well structured, very well organized! Keep this awesome work up, man! smile.gif

EDIT: Typo in quotation: "conclusion" smile.gif

Man than you for your good thoughts about my lesson, actually we talked with Andrew and I got his permission to make some video tutorials about his theory lessons that some GMCers would like a video explanation. This will be a hard work for me but I'll try to do my best biggrin.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH

+Quote Post
utak3r
Jan 7 2009, 10:30 PM
QUOTE (enforcer @ Jan 7 2009, 05:17 PM) *
Man than you for your good thoughts about my lesson, actually we talked with Andrew and I got his permission to make some video tutorials about his theory lessons that some GMCers would like a video explanation. This will be a hard work for me but I'll try to do my best biggrin.gif

ha!... can't wait for this biggrin.gif cool.gif

--------------------
Machines don't bleed that easily...
utak3r.pl

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 7 2009, 10:53 PM
Instructor
Excellent lesson Can I love it !!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jan 8 2009, 12:45 AM
OK Can. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer so.... I've been thinking about this alot lately and was forming the idea that modes were based on intervals. So I guess I was heading down the right path. To solidify, if I desired to play B Phrygian, I would start at B and use the Phrygian interval sequence?

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 8 2009, 01:05 AM
QUOTE (Toroso @ Jan 8 2009, 01:45 AM) *
OK Can. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer so.... I've been thinking about this alot lately and was forming the idea that modes were based on intervals. So I guess I was heading down the right path. To solidify, if I desired to play B Phrygian, I would start at B and use the Phrygian interval sequence?

Yeah man that is correct. When you start from B and use Phrygian interval sequence you'll be playing B Phrygian...

So actually you might be the sharpest knife in the drawer laugh.gif

--------------------

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Jan 8 2009, 02:49 AM
Its an excellent lesson, but im sad to say that im still confused on all this.... guess im a hard head when it comes to this...

Ill keep working on all this

--------------------

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 8 2009, 10:29 PM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Jan 8 2009, 03:49 AM) *
Its an excellent lesson, but im sad to say that im still confused on all this.... guess im a hard head when it comes to this...

Ill keep working on all this

Man, really ask anything, it will be easier that way..

edit: anythink?!

This post has been edited by enforcer: Jan 8 2009, 11:16 PM

--------------------

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 19 2009, 12:06 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Really cool lesson, it has just been featured in our knowledge base Student Instructors Portal smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
enforcer
Dec 19 2009, 05:25 PM
he he thanks man, I've been preparing some new stuff, it is a little massive, so I don't know when it will be posted but I'll keep working on it.

--------------------

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:35 PM