New Amp/distortedish Sound Help Please :p, Peavey XXX Tube Amp W/ Behringer 412 Ultrastack
TuckerG
May 25 2012, 11:07 PM
GMC:er
I Just bought a Peavey Triple XXX Amp head from a pawn shop for $225.00, I think the tubes are stock 6l6's ( I don't know much but what I googled). I also purchased a Behringer BG412H Ultrastack cab for $199.00. <--- Does this seem a fair price? biggrin.gif I know it is after the fact haha! My question is the speakers sound a little distorted, I do not know how to describe this due to lack of experience...ugh. Does anyone have, or had a Triple X and have some input on optimizing the tone or connection? I'd like to get some good ol' rip tearin' ripped jeans wearin' and blarin' not given a carin' metal distortion sound. tongue.gif

The way I have it set up is: Two cables from the parallel mono outputs on amp head to the cab, which is switched to 8 Ohm/Channel stereo in. The amp switch is set on 8 Ohm out. I think it is set up right! biggrin.gif Should I run one cable Mono at 16 Ohms? Does this even affect anything? smile.gif

-Tucker

Per request, I'll happily describe in further detail, any additional amp features, behaviors, or sound dynamics therein, pertaining to the issue in question, where about to what is that which I ask.

-Frustrated lol

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by TuckerG: May 25 2012, 11:23 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
May 26 2012, 12:17 AM
Looks prut-dy smile.gif

It's not fading in and out of volume or crackling? As that would just mean it needs a new tube (or tubes) to clean up the tone and revive.

Note you really can hear a difference between crap vs good quality cables when you get something like that! I wouldn't overlook the cables being issues.

What channel are you using clean, crunch or ultra channels? There are 3 channels: 2 Distortion(Ultra and Crunch), each with there own 3 band EQ (dubbed "bottom", "body", and "hair" for lo-med-hi). I suggest working with the medium "Crunch" setting first. The distortion on the Ultra channel can vary from a cleaner, solo-esque lead guitar sound to an absolutely brutal metal tone if you crank the gain. Also I heard if you change the settings on the ultra channel whilst playing on the crunch channel, it slightly changes tone and dynamics.

I'm don't have one myself, but have emulated it on my PodHD500.

I would suggest if the guitar is connected straight to the Peavey Triple X Amp...

Master Volume: 3
Treble: 7
Mid: 5
Bass: 8
Volume: 5
Gain: 5
Reverb: Low/None
Damping: Medium

Which should give you some smooth distortion without overkill. Adjust volume accordingly, you could preamp more for heavier metal/lead.

Or for some more Crunch Rhythm:

Master volume: 2.5
Treble: 6
Mid: 4
Bass: 5.5
Volume: 3.5
Gain: 6
Reverb: 3.6
Damping: Loose

Someone else might have better tips for you, but to get started smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: May 26 2012, 12:19 AM

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 26 2012, 01:20 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
The crackling could be bad tubes, which wouldn't be all to surprising really. The cabs could have faulty wiring in the speakers as well, bad connections, cold solders, etc. It might be worth the time to have them both looked over by a proper repairman.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 26 2012, 02:06 AM
When you are playing on clean channel at low volume do you still hear it?

It could be a blown or miswired speaker. You'd need to take the head and try it on a different speaker to find out if it's the head or cab though. But that's a good first step. smile.gif

+Quote Post
TuckerG
May 26 2012, 02:27 AM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ May 25 2012, 07:20 PM) *
The crackling could be bad tubes, which wouldn't be all to surprising really. The cabs could have faulty wiring in the speakers as well, bad connections, cold solders, etc. It might be worth the time to have them both looked over by a proper repairman.

I'm not getting any crackling, just bad tone type speaker buzz sounds to me like. However, i tried the settings that were suggested, and that's gone with a good tone I think! biggrin.gif I think it was just my lack of experience with amps and tone biggrin.gif If you have any settings advice, gosh i sure would like to learn some more tone wisdom... smile.gif Thanks man

-Tucker

QUOTE (Azzaboi @ May 25 2012, 06:17 PM) *
Looks prut-dy smile.gif

It's not fading in and out of volume or crackling? As that would just mean it needs a new tube (or tubes) to clean up the tone and revive.

Note you really can hear a difference between crap vs good quality cables when you get something like that! I wouldn't overlook the cables being issues.

What channel are you using clean, crunch or ultra channels? There are 3 channels: 2 Distortion(Ultra and Crunch), each with there own 3 band EQ (dubbed "bottom", "body", and "hair" for lo-med-hi). I suggest working with the medium "Crunch" setting first. The distortion on the Ultra channel can vary from a cleaner, solo-esque lead guitar sound to an absolutely brutal metal tone if you crank the gain. Also I heard if you change the settings on the ultra channel whilst playing on the crunch channel, it slightly changes tone and dynamics.

I'm don't have one myself, but have emulated it on my PodHD500.

I would suggest if the guitar is connected straight to the Peavey Triple X Amp...

Master Volume: 3
Treble: 7
Mid: 5
Bass: 8
Volume: 5
Gain: 5
Reverb: Low/None
Damping: Medium

Which should give you some smooth distortion without overkill. Adjust volume accordingly, you could preamp more for heavier metal/lead.

Or for some more Crunch Rhythm:

Master volume: 2.5
Treble: 6
Mid: 4
Bass: 5.5
Volume: 3.5
Gain: 6
Reverb: 3.6
Damping: Loose

Someone else might have better tips for you, but to get started smile.gif

All I can say man, is...fan-freakin'tastic! Omg, absolutely made this thing rock out, I love the tone! All last night I was thinking...geez, I'm so excited about this, but my old amp w/GNX4 setup sounded bette...surely I'm missing something. biggrin.gif Gosh man thank you really. smile.gif No crackling or anything, I think just the way my goofy you-tube coach mentality tone settings were making the speakers distort and sound funny. This thing sounds so good man, on both those presets. smile.gif Now I'm happy about buying it haha

-Tucker

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 25 2012, 08:06 PM) *
When you are playing on clean channel at low volume do you still hear it?

It could be a blown or miswired speaker. You'd need to take the head and try it on a different speaker to find out if it's the head or cab though. But that's a good first step. smile.gif

Todd sir, I think my inept tone setting ability was the culprit behind this attack on the sound community... tongue.gif lol. I adjusted the settings and its clear as heck, and rocks pretty hard biggrin.gif Just so happens the settings that Azzaboi suggested are EXACTLY the sound I'm looking for! How lucky am I!! biggrin.gif Gosh, I'm just gonna sit here and rock out all night...

Todd, How could i run my GNX4 through this amp and also keep the amp sound? Maybe the effects send/return?
Thanks for the reply good sir.

-Tucker

This post has been edited by TuckerG: May 26 2012, 02:21 AM

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
May 26 2012, 02:54 AM
No probs, glad could of been some help, enjoy that beast!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 26 2012, 09:02 AM
Instructor
Hey Tuck smile.gif glad you made it man, look, since you got the amp, you can experiment. The best way to do it, is to pick up a tone which you like (your favorite guitarist's tone, to start with) and try to come as close as possible by dialing in various settings on the amp. It's a good exercise man - using your ears for this will help A LOT when you need to shape a tone smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 26 2012, 04:52 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
With tube amps, its absolutely imperative to use a SPEAKER cable and not an instrument cable when connecting the amp to the speaker cab. You could blow your tubes, or a transformer, or both.

You got that Triple XXX for a really great price biggrin.gif But I think you paid way too much for that cab. You can find a high quality cab for around the same price, or even less. Its not uncommon to find a Peavey 5150 cab for $200 or less. I found one for $100 last year and it works great, just needed a new caster and the input jack had to be glued back in. Once you get a decent cab you'll notice a HUGE difference in tone, especially with the low end.

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
May 26 2012, 04:52 PM
Tone Seeker
A nice looking amp dude ! Congrats cool.gif

+Quote Post
TuckerG
May 27 2012, 03:09 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 26 2012, 03:02 AM) *
Hey Tuck smile.gif glad you made it man, look, since you got the amp, you can experiment. The best way to do it, is to pick up a tone which you like (your favorite guitarist's tone, to start with) and try to come as close as possible by dialing in various settings on the amp. It's a good exercise man - using your ears for this will help A LOT when you need to shape a tone smile.gif

Haha, I have been doing this for the past 10 hours, and I have to say this is a great exercise! Man, my understanding of amp knowledge alone has quadrupled it seems like, and while of course I will have to vary tone often for whatever reason in the future, I have dialed in a tone that I love!! I am kind of making this "my tone," which seems to me many players tend to have "their tone." biggrin.gif Like I said I am sure it will change, but gosh... trying to dial in some Disturbed brought me to best sound I have made on an amp ever! Seriously Cos, I didn't get much practicing in last night or get my vids made, but I made a massive jump in my understanding of amp tones/behavior, which is essential. Thank you sir!

-Tucker

QUOTE (Mudbone @ May 26 2012, 10:52 AM) *
With tube amps, its absolutely imperative to use a SPEAKER cable and not an instrument cable when connecting the amp to the speaker cab. You could blow your tubes, or a transformer, or both.

You got that Triple XXX for a really great price biggrin.gif But I think you paid way too much for that cab. You can find a high quality cab for around the same price, or even less. Its not uncommon to find a Peavey 5150 cab for $200 or less. I found one for $100 last year and it works great, just needed a new caster and the input jack had to be glued back in. Once you get a decent cab you'll notice a HUGE difference in tone, especially with the low end.

Right on man, I will probably look to get better cab in the near future. LOL, the chord issue was mentioned above also, and good thing too...when I got home the other day I put my ol' guitar chord right in to the amp/cab hookups! LOL! tongue.gif Gosh, from i know know i was lucky, nothing bad happened :/ Thank you for the wisdom good sir!

-Tucker

+Quote Post
TuckerG
May 27 2012, 03:40 AM
QUOTE (WeePee @ May 26 2012, 10:52 AM) *
A nice looking amp dude ! Congrats cool.gif

Ah thank you sir! biggrin.gif Gosh, good ol' compliments like that sure help me feel better about spending the money, haha!! Really though, it charges my motivation to learn. biggrin.gif

-Tucker

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 27 2012, 05:05 AM
As for Running a GNX4, you can disable the cabinet emulation and that way the board just runs as an efx pedal, sure smile.gif I Don't have GNX4, but a GNX3, but they are similar. So I googled it for ya and came up with this!

GNX4 BYPASS CABINET EMULATION

To connect via effects loop, connect the send of the loop to he guitar input of the GNX, and connect the left 1/4 inch output of the GNX to the return of the amp.

Next, select a preset on the GNX, and in that preset put the amp model and the cabinet model on DIRECT. Press the Utility Button, go to the target system, and put that on DIRECT or FX4x12.

+Quote Post
TuckerG
May 28 2012, 11:54 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ May 26 2012, 11:05 PM) *
As for Running a GNX4, you can disable the cabinet emulation and that way the board just runs as an efx pedal, sure smile.gif I Don't have GNX4, but a GNX3, but they are similar. So I googled it for ya and came up with this!

GNX4 BYPASS CABINET EMULATION

To connect via effects loop, connect the send of the loop to he guitar input of the GNX, and connect the left 1/4 inch output of the GNX to the return of the amp.

Next, select a preset on the GNX, and in that preset put the amp model and the cabinet model on DIRECT. Press the Utility Button, go to the target system, and put that on DIRECT or FX4x12.

I'm not a cussin' man Todd, but effing AWESOME!! tongue.gif I've been getting real frustrated, the gnx has some awesome amp sounds and past couple months i have been loving it, still do. I gives me ( A beginner level person) a good recorder interface (its great), pretty awesome drum machine, and serves as a fantastic everything studio in one package thing for the equipment knowledge challenged. However, since I got this Peavey and dialed in some sounds I love... idk man, I cannot get enough of the sound this thing makes, and can't get the tone with the gnx hooked up no matter which way I connect it, but NOW I CAN! The key is going back in and switching it to direct sir, thank you biggrin.gif LOL, I think it might be the tube sound that got me, like I said idk, but if its the tubes that make me like the tone, I think everyone on planet Earth should put tubes on their amp!!! biggrin.gif Haha!

I have them both now, I am so happy, muchus gracias sir!

-Tucker

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:39 PM