3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
So What Does Everyone Do For Money
Guitarman700
Oct 11 2007, 08:19 AM
GMC:er
I'm self-unemployed. sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 11 2007, 08:33 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
For health reasons I now work 1 day a week paid - University senior lecturer. I also do some training and consultancy in the area of media production and management.

Work (as it often does) spills beyond 1 day as for me it also includes research and publishing - I edit an academic journal (just been asked to do another), copy edit and do academic proofreading. Currently I'm contracted to write 2 books (one due April next year, the other sometime next year). None of this extra academic related work is paid. If my wife and I got paid for all the work we have done gratis we'd probably be quite rich dry.gif blink.gif . We try to be as self- sufficient as we can so that our low cash flow can pretty much match our low income.

Cheers,
Tony

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Oct 11 2007, 08:35 AM
I own this company w/ a partner in the movie biz. But I'd much rather be playing my Les Paul!!!

www.brainstorm-digital.com

This post has been edited by Kizaze44: Oct 11 2007, 08:35 AM

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 11 2007, 08:56 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Oct 11 2007, 02:33 AM) *
For health reasons I now work 1 day a week paid - University senior lecturer. I also do some training and consultancy in the area of media production and management.

Work (as it often does) spills beyond 1 day as for me it also includes research and publishing - I edit an academic journal (just been asked to do another), copy edit and do academic proofreading. Currently I'm contracted to write 2 books (one due April next year, the other sometime next year). None of this extra academic related work is paid. If my wife and I got paid for all the work we have done gratis we'd probably be quite rich dry.gif blink.gif . We try to be as self- sufficient as we can so that our low cash flow can pretty much match our low income.

Cheers,
Tony

I thought you were English. Wonder why I thought that.

+Quote Post
RobM
Oct 11 2007, 09:25 AM
QUOTE (white eagle @ Oct 11 2007, 01:23 AM) *
:)Well we have found out how old everyone is but what does everyone do for dough,(money, rolleyes.gif job ) I myself am a mason and I cut and sell firewood.....

I'm disabled and get my money from Social Security Disability Insurance, been that way since 1991 sad.gif. I'm thinking about going back to school to become an X-Ray technician but I hear the waiting list to get in is like 4 years long sad.gif, even then I doubt my back could take the rigors of working again.

Last jobs I had were in IT but then I couldn't do even the most sedentary positions without taking time off every two weeks due to pain. Now, the bottom has fallen out of that market even if I could do it I wouldn't be making the money I once did.

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Oct 11 2007, 10:01 AM
I work for a lawn service. Good pay with somewhat regular raises, and I get my meals payed for. smile.gif But, it gets HOT! ! dry.gif

This post has been edited by SLASH91: Oct 11 2007, 10:02 AM

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Hungus
Oct 11 2007, 10:19 AM
I go and show the government what jobs I have applied for twice a week wink.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 11 2007, 10:24 AM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Oct 11 2007, 04:01 AM) *
I work for a lawn service. Good pay with somewhat regular raises, and I get my meals payed for. smile.gif But, it gets HOT! ! dry.gif

I was about to say, that sounds tough in Louisiana. Do they provide you with mosquito spray also. I commented on the mosquitoes outside last time my brother from Mississippi came up. He said "you call these mosquitoes?" I took his boy out in my boat, and i could never convince him that he can walk through the shallow water. He said the poisonous snakes hang out there. Could not convince him that our water snakes are harmless.

LSU looking good. Are you all excited about them down there?

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Oct 11 2007, 10:26 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Oct 11 2007, 02:33 AM) *

I am jelous of your job

QUOTE (coffeeman @ Oct 11 2007, 02:54 AM) *
I have my own company , I trade with raosted Coffee here in my country , im looking forward to export it , Im also a cosultant in all coffee themes and in sales. So that's it , i f someone wants the best coffee in the world just let me know.

OH i want coffee.. omg im a fiend.. send me some biggrin.gif email me at [email protected] or at [email protected] and we can work out a deal biggrin.gif

Also I work at a small grocery store here in town stocking dairy.. this is for the rent.. I am currently a student at UWO in Canada studying business, on the side i run a small guitar shop with a few fellow business students.. right now progress is almost at 0 but as soon as my 6 years are up.. get ready world biggrin.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
kahall
Oct 11 2007, 10:32 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Oct 11 2007, 01:54 AM) *
I have my own company , I trade with raosted Coffee here in my country , im looking forward to export it , Im also a cosultant in all coffee themes and in sales. So that's it , i f someone wants the best coffee in the world just let me know.

Hello! Coffee is the only drug left for me. What is the deal on your coffee? I am very interested in the different coffees of the world. There is a starbucks around the corner and I am their best and easiest customer. "Yes I will have a large cup of bold no room, you fruity latte mocha drinkers get out of my way."

And I think I have mentioned here before...I am an IT dude for a florist in the midwest. Stop by and see me.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Oct 11 2007, 10:46 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Oct 11 2007, 04:24 AM) *
I was about to say, that sounds tough in Louisiana. Do they provide you with mosquito spray also. I commented on the mosquitoes outside last time my brother from Mississippi came up. He said "you call these mosquitoes?" I took his boy out in my boat, and i could never convince him that he can walk through the shallow water. He said the poisonous snakes hang out there. Could not convince him that our water snakes are harmless.

LSU looking good. Are you all excited about them down there?

Lol, yeah, this is a frickin dangerous place tongue.gif Mosquitos aren't really that bad cause I'm always moving ( I edge and weed eat), but snakes are. In fact, just today one of the other guys saw like a 2 foot long water moccaosain.We Killed a copperhead a few weeks ago too.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Oct 11 2007, 10:49 AM
Instructor
I do several things...
Teach on GMC
Teach at a local music school
Work for Google from home
Translate stuff
Test videogames

]

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Oct 11 2007, 10:57 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Oct 11 2007, 06:33 AM) *

I always liked the Airplane commercial. Kind of a good metaphor for IT work sometimes.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L2zqTYgcpfg

QUOTE (coffeeman @ Oct 11 2007, 06:54 AM) *

Dude, that's badass. I'm a home roaster...I like my coffee green. biggrin.gif

I have a guy here that imports direct from a farm he owns in Honduras.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
SDMF75
Oct 11 2007, 11:05 AM
I'm an Insurance Agent. Working with the public can be lots of fun. Some very interesting people unsure.gif tend to wonder into the office from time to time.

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
Ayen
Oct 11 2007, 11:11 AM
I'm a Lady of the Evening. sad.gif

I need the money!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Oct 11 2007, 11:25 AM
QUOTE (RobM @ Oct 11 2007, 08:25 AM) *
Last jobs I had were in IT but then I couldn't do even the most sedentary positions without taking time off every two weeks due to pain. Now, the bottom has fallen out of that market even if I could do it I wouldn't be making the money I once did.

Depends on the area, I think and what your specialty is. Where I am (DC metro area), the jobs are out there but the heavy demand isn't in the same areas it was even 5 years ago. I know I've had to adjust my skillset a lot in the last couple of years to hopefully be where the market is when I'm ready to change up.

Things are spreading out geographically into unusual locations too...like Google building datacenters in rural NC and the like. Companies like IBM have a lot of jobs that are location-independent. It's interesting times.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom

+Quote Post
JVM
Oct 11 2007, 11:53 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Wallimann @ Oct 10 2007, 09:49 PM) *
I do several things...
Teach on GMC
Translate stuff
Test videogames

]

How'd you get into testing videogames? smile.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 11 2007, 12:00 PM
QUOTE (JVM @ Oct 11 2007, 05:53 AM) *
How'd you get into testing videogames? smile.gif

you may not be familiar with the old "Li'L Abner" comic strips. It ran from 1934 though 1977. Back then newspaper comic strips were a big thing, the most important thing in the paper to many people.

http://deniskitchen.com/Merchant2/merchant...e=bios.lilabner

Anyway, Li'L Abner earned his living as a mattress tester, it sound similar to the above job.

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Oct 11 2007, 12:09 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Oct 11 2007, 11:00 AM) *
you may not be familiar with the old "Li'L Abner" comic strips. It ran from 1934 though 1977. Back then newspaper comic strips were a big thing, the most important thing in the paper to many people.

http://deniskitchen.com/Merchant2/merchant...e=bios.lilabner
Anyway, Li'L Abner earned his living as a mattress tester, it sound similar to the above job.

A friend of mine in high school (mid-80's) had a summer job testing condoms one year. The job wasn't what you'd expect and wasn't fun from what I remember.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Animosity
Oct 11 2007, 12:48 PM
QUOTE (Wallimann @ Oct 11 2007, 04:49 AM) *
I do several things...
Teach on GMC
Translate stuff
Test videogames

That is a badass life! Can I borrow it for like a week or so? laugh.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:36 AM