Gaaahhhhh!
Martz
Nov 18 2009, 11:29 PM
GMC:er
Gaaaahhh!

I've just realised how long this is gona take. Got the guitar 2 months ago and, though I'm improving, I still can't play a single tune worth listening to. All the songs and riffs worth playing are around level 4-5 and Slash would slice his wrist if he heard my Sweet Child O'mine.

Sooo.. How long time is it gona take to be able to play the things in lv 4-5 if i practise 1-1,5 hour 4-5 days a week. Feels like the lv 1-3 is too boring and I'm afraid that will ultimately stop me from playing sad.gif

Are there any fun and cool sounding Lv 2-3 songs i could play 'till I'm good enough for the real McCoy? Or do you suggest an alternative way? (right now I'm practicing Ivans pentatonic boxes, Sweet Child, Under the brigde, Kris' speedpicking and the chords by OToole and the songs are too tough).

Love,Martz

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Nov 19 2009, 12:34 AM
good question Martz.

i guess you feel like you are in a long dark tunnel with no light ahead. I get that.

every instructor grades their own lessons so levels are suggestive. I know that a level 5 sweeping exercise might be harder to one person that a level 5 tapping lick. its all relative.

i am glad to see you have your goals set high, but you need to come back down to earth for a bit. You WILL improve, its a given, thats for sure. The rate is different for everyone. I knew how to speed pick well before i could sweep a 3 string arpeggio. we all learn things at different paces, and you just need to be patient. You are not the only one with problems like these. the only way you can get better is to keep your goals in mind, and keep going until you get there!

if i was you, i wouldnt stop practicing sweet child o mine even if you dont think its good. sooner or later it will be, and it will be a great feeling!

good luck, you have the GMC community behind you!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Frederik
Nov 19 2009, 12:40 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
1.5-2 years is my guees biggrin.gif
but there is a lot of stuff that is playable at 1 year of pratice
it'll come with time, and personally i have had a blast learning from complete beginner to intermediate, its rewarding to play something good sounding.

Have u tried some acoustic stuff?
jack johnson, and so on?

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 19 2009, 12:43 AM
Learning Tone Master
The fact that you keep improving is the reason why I play guitar!

If I would be able to play ANYTHING flawlessly, I would instantly drop the guitar and loose interest.
Getting better every day, being able to play something through weeks of practice and the possibility to always learn something new on guitar is what I am living for!

The journey is the reward

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
vampire18
Nov 19 2009, 12:46 AM
Learning Rock Star
i woudlnt be fun if anyone could become a guitar god in one year, technique is basically a proof of technique, you wouldnt worship a guitar god if you could play like him next week. so basically look at your time on the guitar as an investment, and with goals and hard work youll aciheve everything you wanted.
try murises MJ tribute, ireally liked both lessons

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Nov 19 2009, 01:01 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Nov 18 2009, 06:43 PM) *
The fact that you keep improving is the reason why I play guitar!

If I would be able to play ANYTHING flawlessly, I would instantly drop the guitar and loose interest.
Getting better every day, being able to play something through weeks of practice and the possibility to always learn something new on guitar is what I am living for!

Yep, I'm pretty much in the same boat here. I love the rush you get when you finally accomplish something new on the guitar, whether it's a song, technique or even just a BPM number. There are a lot of good easy lessons on GMC, but even the easiest are not learned instantly for a beginner. Here's a tip - focus a lot on rhythm playing in the beginning, if you like sweet child and want to learn it, that's cool and should be encouraged, but at this stage I would be focusing more on rhythm than lead playing. However, anything that interests you is worth practicing sooner instead of later, because the sooner you begin practicing it, even if it sounds horrible, the sooner it won't sound horrible smile.gif If I get some time later I will recommend you some lessons.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Nov 19 2009, 01:58 AM
funny you should say something like that...

I met a girl at a party once (im not going to lie, i was trying to put the moves on her) and pretty soon she surprised me (and everyone) and starting talking philosophy and art...like we were at an art gallery or something.

anyways she said that for her, it isnt the end product, its the process that is the rewarding part

QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Nov 18 2009, 03:43 PM) *

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 19 2009, 04:03 AM
Instructor
I agree that the journey is what matters, that's why you have to find something you really enjoy listening to, I'm sure it's not all shred at 230bpm,

and play that!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
kahall
Nov 19 2009, 07:02 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Nov 18 2009, 06:58 PM) *
[..]

anyways she said that for her, it isnt the end product, its the process that is the rewarding part

If you start worrying about how long something that is difficult (for most) is going to take you and you dwell on it your finished. Focus on the process as the girl said. Many other good players on here have said the same.

So what's the rest of the story regarding you putting the moves on her? Strike out? Did you get her digits? I mean come on.

--------------------
Had a guitar hanging, just about waist high, and we are going to play these things until the day we die.

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Nov 19 2009, 08:29 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Here are a few level 3 lessons I personally enjoy :

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Slow_Blues_in_A_Minor/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Rock-Rhythm-Variations/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Dick_D...tyle_Surf_Rock/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...s-style-lesson/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...ds-rock-rhythm/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...s-style-lesson/

And here are my goals :

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/hots_boogie/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ck-ballad-solo/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...cidence-lesson/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...is-oops-lesson/

I will play those in about 2 years... I am an optimistic. smile.gif

Currently, I keep practicing ONE song (Sweet Home Alabama) and play all those lessons and others to improve my technique, speed, legato, etc... I can _feel_ how much I improved during the last few months (I started @GMC in April). That's the most important part of the process as stated by others.

This post has been edited by Keilnoth: Nov 19 2009, 08:29 AM

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
CathShadow
Nov 19 2009, 09:23 AM
Hehehe yeah... I think its a common feeling. But patience is definitely needed. so your long term goals are the "cool sounding" higher level songs.. great.. now how do you get there? you wanna play rhythm? look around for fun sounding chord/rhythm lessons; chords help with lead, rhythm, thechnique. Use a metronom. helps with lead, rhythm and speed.

Everything you do will impact other areas of your playing... and I agree.. it's REALLY rewarding to finally get there (As you can see in the comic in my sig wink.gif ) hehehe

Hang in there smile.gif

I've been playing for a little over a year now.. and for a LOT of the time I feel the same: why can't I play this?!... then I lok back at what I WAS playing and what I AM and realised I improved a ton... (without realising it sometimes)..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 19 2009, 04:38 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Take it easy, learn open chords and power chords. You can learn lots of famous songs with just a few open chords on an acoustic, or with powerchords on an electric.

Learn and practice usual scales: pentatonic & minor for instance. Learn all 5 pentatonic positions, and practice them til your fingers know the shape on their own, then improvise over backings joining those shapes, it will sound good.

Learn simple lessons. GMC level is very high, even level 3 lessons can be pretty challenging depending on the techniques etc.

Learn simple songs. Programs such as guitar pro are great to learn new songs.

Your plan sounds good. If you devote time, it will pay off!, but it won't be a fast process. I guess it's a life-time journey smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Nov 19 2009, 05:40 PM
QUOTE (Martz @ Nov 18 2009, 11:29 PM) *
Gaaaahhh!

I've just realised how long this is gona take. Got the guitar 2 months ago and, though I'm improving, I still can't play a single tune worth listening to. All the songs and riffs worth playing are around level 4-5 and Slash would slice his wrist if he heard my Sweet Child O'mine.

Sooo.. How long time is it gona take to be able to play the things in lv 4-5 if i practise 1-1,5 hour 4-5 days a week. Feels like the lv 1-3 is too boring and I'm afraid that will ultimately stop me from playing sad.gif

Are there any fun and cool sounding Lv 2-3 songs i could play 'till I'm good enough for the real McCoy? Or do you suggest an alternative way? (right now I'm practicing Ivans pentatonic boxes, Sweet Child, Under the brigde, Kris' speedpicking and the chords by OToole and the songs are too tough).

Love,Martz

I think you're on the right way with your practice routine! Just keep playing, have fun, set the metronome a little lower, focus on rhythm and before you know it, you'll be able to play SCoM in 2-3 months, and I'm sure it will sound good. Be sure to post a video when you succeed!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Nov 19 2009, 05:40 PM
haha we became good friends and we see each other often...

good news: we are friends

bad news: we are friends
cool.gif

QUOTE (kahall @ Nov 18 2009, 10:02 PM) *
If you start worrying about how long something that is difficult (for most) is going to take you and you dwell on it your finished. Focus on the process as the girl said. Many other good players on here have said the same.

So what's the rest of the story regarding you putting the moves on her? Strike out? Did you get her digits? I mean come on.

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:

+Quote Post
Martz
Nov 19 2009, 09:07 PM
Thanx for the support. I didnt start playing to become a rocklegend, just to have fun. The bad thing is that when you have a bad day it isn't fun and then you stop playing. Feel much better already. Guess I just had a bad day yesterday :-) Ive got the guitar pro thing from a friend so now i'm on the hunt for good tunes. Any suggestions?

And by the way. The backingtracks are often a bit too fast for me, even the slow ones. Why cant you slow-mo the instructions/backingtracks? That would really help. Any one agrees?

+Quote Post
CathShadow
Nov 19 2009, 09:29 PM
QUOTE (Martz @ Nov 19 2009, 11:07 PM) *
Thanx for the support. I didnt start playing to become a rocklegend, just to have fun. The bad thing is that when you have a bad day it isn't fun and then you stop playing. Feel much better already. Guess I just had a bad day yesterday :-) Ive got the guitar pro thing from a friend so now i'm on the hunt for good tunes. Any suggestions?

And by the way. The backingtracks are often a bit too fast for me, even the slow ones. Why cant you slow-mo the instructions/backingtracks? That would really help. Any one agrees?

Well, I suppose that would be cool, HOWEVER, I do think that Guitar Pro is sufficient for that -> most of the lessons on GMC have the Guitar Pro file with -> and guitar pro has a speed trainer where you can reduce the speed to any rate you like and build up

you can even put it on a loop that goes up any amount of beats per minute each loop smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 20 2009, 12:31 AM
Instructor
You have to give yourself time to develop skills, playing guitar is a very subtle and advanced skill, so you should be patient and motivated for practice. Don't look at the clock, just play and practice for fun, otherwise you may risk of burning out.

Bottom line: keep the playing and practicing fun, and be patient, results come sooner than you think.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Martz
Nov 21 2009, 12:02 AM
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Nov 19 2009, 08:29 AM) *

I definately like the rock rythm and slow blues lesson. And i found this great lesson on muting by Ivan and advanced powercords by Muris. You guys really put an effort into this and are great teachers. I guess the timing/rythm is the key and I really should be working with the metronome (though I hate the klicking sound)

I'm glad I found GMC.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 23 2009, 06:06 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
By the 1 year of practicing you will be able to play lots of simple songs (acoustic chord stuff+ riffing like Offspring etc).It takes time and devotion to learn how to play, but once you do get all the basics down - you get to enjoy it a lot!

Keep up with the practice and you will see and hear results very soon - I guarantee it! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Nov 24 2009, 07:03 AM
Don't worry!. Practice is the key and the secret. If you practice enough, you'll get all the success when you less expect them.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:28 PM