3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Questions, ... and their answers!
Toroso
Mar 7 2009, 12:06 PM
GMC:er
No problem Tolek. Work has been H#LL this week wacko.gif so I haven't been practicing as much as I should. Things seem to be sorted now so I'll get busy! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Live well, and live often!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tolek
Mar 7 2009, 12:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks for comprehension. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Tolek
Mar 8 2009, 09:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
First of all, I have to say that I am stupid. laugh.gif I uploaded a video that explains your problem, Toroso, but I forgot to post it here. laugh.gif

I meant with "start an exercice" the individual problem zones. biggrin.gif And sorry for my hawing, I can´t speak in another way. ph34r.gif In English, at least.

If there are any questions, just ask me.

This post has been edited by Tolek: Mar 8 2009, 09:07 PM

+Quote Post
Toroso
Mar 9 2009, 02:56 PM
QUOTE (Tolek @ Mar 8 2009, 04:07 PM) *
First of all, I have to say that I am stupid. laugh.gif I uploaded a video that explains your problem, Toroso, but I forgot to post it here. laugh.gif

I meant with "start an exercice" the individual problem zones. biggrin.gif And sorry for my hawing, I can´t speak in another way. ph34r.gif In English, at least.

If there are any questions, just ask me.

Thanks Tolek! I guess it will be just a LOT of practice. Chords have always been difficult for me so I have basically ignored them and used mostly power chords. The result is that I still cannot play them very well!

The open chords are not so bad, but when a barre comes in, I have a lot of trouble getting it clean.

I'm curious as to what you would like to see in a video of this first assignment? Just playing the notes and strumming the chords?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Mar 9 2009, 03:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Toroso @ Mar 9 2009, 02:56 PM) *
Thanks Tolek! I guess it will be just a LOT of practice. Chords have always been difficult for me so I have basically ignored them and used mostly power chords. The result is that I still cannot play them very well!

The open chords are not so bad, but when a barre comes in, I have a lot of trouble getting it clean.

I'm curious as to what you would like to see in a video of this first assignment? Just playing the notes and strumming the chords?

It´s good to see that are aware that you didn´t pay much attention on chords and want to change that! smile.gif And yes, barrés are easy when you practise them.

Well, the video should show you playing the few notes on the first 5 frets while you say that notes. Clear?

+Quote Post
Toroso
Mar 11 2009, 03:33 PM
Hi Tolek

Wll you recommend some scales to use over this BT? Something other than the usual pentatonic? Thanks smile.gif

Attached File  q____Heavy_Metal.mp3 ( 1.35MB ) Number of downloads: 177

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Mar 11 2009, 04:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Toroso @ Mar 11 2009, 03:33 PM) *
Hi Tolek

Wll you recommend some scales to use over this BT? Something other than the usual pentatonic? Thanks smile.gif

Attached File  q____Heavy_Metal.mp3 ( 1.35MB ) Number of downloads: 177

You can use D minor Pentatonic, D minor natural, D minor harmonic and D Phrygian (Dominant). I think that the best for the beginning is the simple pentatonic scale. For faster runs, best would be D minor natural/harmonic and for a very exotic and dark sound you can use the D Phrygian (Dominant) scale.
Another possibility is to tune down one whole step and play in E minor. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Toroso
Mar 11 2009, 05:55 PM
QUOTE (Tolek @ Mar 11 2009, 11:57 AM) *
You can use D minor Pentatonic, D minor natural, D minor harmonic and D Phrygian (Dominant). I think that the best for the beginning is the simple pentatonic scale. For faster runs, best would be D minor natural/harmonic and for a very exotic and dark sound you can use the D Phrygian (Dominant) scale.
Another possibility is to tune down one whole step and play in E minor. smile.gif

When you use the modifier (Dominant), what does that mean?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Mar 11 2009, 05:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Toroso @ Mar 11 2009, 05:55 PM) *
When you use the modifier (Dominant), what does that mean?

Dominant means that the 7th degree of a scale is minor. David Walliman explains this scale in this lesson very well.

+Quote Post
Toroso
Mar 11 2009, 08:35 PM
QUOTE (Tolek @ Mar 11 2009, 12:58 PM) *
Dominant means that the 7th degree of a scale is minor. David Walliman explains this scale in this lesson very well.

Hmmm that opened a can of worms. biggrin.gif I'm trying to sort this out so not picking on anybody. You told me dominant scales have a minor 7th, Dave is stating that as well in addition to a major 3rd. Based on a prior discussion I see that the third in this case is major (4 semitones from root, A Phrygian Dominant 3rd is C#). So when determining whether something is major or minor, is it simply whether the distance in semitones from the root is even or odd?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Mar 11 2009, 08:43 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Toroso @ Mar 11 2009, 08:35 PM) *
Hmmm that opened a can of worms. biggrin.gif I'm trying to sort this out so not picking on anybody. You told me dominant scales have a minor 7th, Dave is stating that as well in addition to a major 3rd. Based on a prior discussion I see that the third in this case is major (4 semitones from root, A Phrygian Dominant 3rd is C#). So when determining whether something is major or minor, is it simply whether the distance in semitones from the root is even or odd?

Oh, yes! I forgot to mention that there´s besides the minor 7th a Major 3rd. Sorry! biggrin.gif

A scale is Major when it has a Major 3rd (from the root). A scale is minor when it has a minor 3rd (from the root). Example:
C Major: C D E F G A B C (C -> E = 4 semitones = 3rd Maj)
C minor: C D Eb F G Ab Bb C (C -> Eb = 3 semitones = 3rd min)

Clear?

Phrygian is mode and has not much to do with Major or minor. We say that it has a major sounding when it has a 3rd Maj (like the Major Scale). And the same for minor: We say that it has a minor sounding when it has a 3rd min (like the minor Scale).

PS: I´ll do an answer video tomorrow or later because now, I´m learning french... Some old litterature... dry.gif

This post has been edited by Tolek: Mar 11 2009, 08:45 PM

+Quote Post
Toroso
Mar 11 2009, 09:02 PM
QUOTE (Tolek @ Mar 11 2009, 03:43 PM) *
A scale is Major when it has a Major 3rd (from the root). A scale is minor when it has a minor 3rd (from the root). Example:
C Major: C D E F G A B C (C -> E = 4 semitones = 3rd Maj)
C minor: C D Eb F G Ab Bb C (C -> Eb = 3 semitones = 3rd min)

Clear?

Yes, that I understand. So what about the minor 7th then?

PS: I´ll do an answer video tomorrow or later because now, I´m learning french... Some old litterature... dry.gif

I was wondering, what is the language of Luxembourg?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew6
Mar 11 2009, 09:04 PM
Learning Rock Star
hey guys sorry to jump in but do you speak french well Tolek?

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Rogue Electric Acoustic (CHEAP lol)

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
Tolek
Mar 11 2009, 09:08 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Toroso @ Mar 11 2009, 09:02 PM) *
Yes, that I understand. So what about the minor 7th then?

A scale is dominant if it has a 3rd Maj and a 7th min, i.e. Phrygian Dominant.

I was wondering, what is the language of Luxembourg?

laugh.gif The spoken language is Luxembourgish (a weird and bad mix of French and Low German), but French is the governmental language while German is spoken by most of Luxembourgers. We are being taught French, German, English and only a little bit of Luxembourgish at school since it has no real grammar. biggrin.gif Many people don´t consider it as language because it isn´t spoken in the goverment. Etc.

Btw, I´m not luxembourgish. smile.gif I´m polish, but was born in Germany. biggrin.gif Complicated! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Andrew6 @ Mar 11 2009, 09:04 PM) *
hey guys sorry to jump in but do you speak french well Tolek?

Well, I have no problems being in Paris. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew6
Mar 11 2009, 09:09 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Tolek @ Mar 11 2009, 05:08 PM) *
A scale is dominant if it has a 3rd Maj and a 7th min, i.e. Phrygian Dominant.

laugh.gif The spoken language is Luxembourgish (a weird and bad mix of French and Low German), but French is the governmental language while German is spoken by most of Luxembourgers. We are being taught French, German, English and only a little bit of Luxembourgish at school since it has no real grammar. biggrin.gif Many people don´t consider it as language because it isn´t spoken in the goverment. Etc.

Btw, I´m not luxembourgish. smile.gif I´m polish, but was born in Germany. biggrin.gif Complicated! laugh.gif

Well, I have no problems being in Paris. biggrin.gif

ahhh alright well I speak french as well but it is Canadian French laugh.gif a bit different

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
Tolek
Mar 11 2009, 09:12 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Andrew6 @ Mar 11 2009, 09:09 PM) *
ahhh alright well I speak french as well but it is Canadian French laugh.gif a bit different

Yeah, I know that Canadians speak French as well. Alors, on passe au francais? biggrin.gif Je suis en train de m´emmerder avec la littérature francaise du 19e siècle dans lequel des fous auteurs ont écrit des textes que je ne comprends pas. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Tolek: Mar 11 2009, 09:12 PM

+Quote Post
Andrew6
Mar 11 2009, 09:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
hahaha sounds like fun tongue.gif , my french isn't spectacular as it is not a first language but I had no problem understanding that laugh.gif

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
Tolek
Mar 11 2009, 09:21 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Andrew6 @ Mar 11 2009, 09:19 PM) *
hahaha sounds like fun tongue.gif , my french isn't spectacular as it is not a first language but I had no problem understanding that laugh.gif

Great! laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Toroso
Mar 16 2009, 09:54 PM
Hi Tolek

I am working on this lesson right now. At the end of the second bar, there is a little decending sequence. What sort of chords are these?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
Mar 17 2009, 03:16 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey there!
That isn´t a sequence it´s just a descending lick. It is chromatic (A -> G# -> G) and these aren´t really chords. They diminished 5th intervals. You can apply that chromatism pretty everywhere.
I hope this helps. smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:52 AM