3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Beginner: Guitar Bushido
Ben Higgins
Apr 21 2012, 11:06 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sunny @ Apr 20 2012, 08:43 PM) *
Gusts of wind are blowing snow through the open gates of the old Guitar Temple. Set of footsteps leading into the darkness inside are being slowly covered by the snow. In the shadows on the doorstep lies a lonely offering, an orb, glowing faintly.

The orb feels warm to the touch and seems to transform surrounding silence into a merry tune.
http://soundcloud.com/sc01sunny/phb01

My first recording, far from perfect but I suppose it's a start. ph34r.gif

At last, we have some Sun (ny) at The Temple !

Very good, young warrior.. your picking is very even but watch out for timing. In many places you were rushing the changes a little so you can relax back a bit more there, ok ?

Really good start to your journey.. you have taken the first, most difficult step.. now onwards ! ph34r.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sunny
Apr 21 2012, 11:29 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Apr 21 2012, 10:06 AM) *
At last, we have some Sun (ny) at The Temple !

Very good, young warrior.. your picking is very even but watch out for timing. In many places you were rushing the changes a little so you can relax back a bit more there, ok ?

Really good start to your journey.. you have taken the first, most difficult step.. now onwards ! ph34r.gif

Thank you for your kind words, Sensei. ^^

I learned a lot about picking and I pick way faster than I ever had. I will be working on timing, that's an old woe of mine. ph34r.gif

Now off to task 2, but I won't forget you, task 1! laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Alhambra 3C, Ibanez S470, Boss ME-50, KORG MA-30, Marshall MG15CDR, MacBook Pro

Practice Journal

+Quote Post
carminemarotta
Apr 24 2012, 09:31 PM
Ben
I am learning the lesson, I could not do more than 100 bpm, and even not perfect, need some tips in playiing it at full speed:

anyway, I am well ahead of the deadline that was one year to practice it, wasn't it? wink.gif
Thanks in advance
Carmine

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 25 2012, 08:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (carminemarotta @ Apr 24 2012, 09:31 PM) *
Ben
I am learning the lesson, I could not do more than 100 bpm, and even not perfect, need some tips in playiing it at full speed:

anyway, I am well ahead of the deadline that was one year to practice it, wasn't it? wink.gif
Thanks in advance
Carmine

Yo Carmine !

This is a good effort. Your picking is quite even.. it's mainly the timing that needs work to make it sound better. Also, when you start playing the 16th notes in the last part of the lesson I notice some excess arm movement so that's something we can talk about in greater detail smile.gif

QUOTE (carminemarotta @ Apr 24 2012, 09:31 PM) *

Ummmmm..... I think there may have been a misunderstanding wink.gif

biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
carminemarotta
Apr 25 2012, 09:07 PM
Ben
do you have a list of all the Bushido lessons for beginner?

Thanks
Carmine

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 26 2012, 08:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (carminemarotta @ Apr 25 2012, 09:07 PM) *
Ben
do you have a list of all the Bushido lessons for beginner?

Thanks
Carmine

Hi Carmine

1: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0&start=0
2: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Inside-Outside-Picking/
3: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0&start=0
4: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0&start=0
5: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...c-metal-rhythm/
6: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...hm-with-triads/
7: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Classic-Punk-Ramones/
8: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...ani-style-rock/
9: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato/
10: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=43711
11: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ll-offs-lesson/
12: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/String-Bending/
13: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Phrase-Book-Pre-Bends/

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Apr 29 2012, 02:34 AM
Ben! well i haven't play the instrument for like 2 weeks now ._. and i want to polished my skills, so may i join the beginner (section) of the temple?

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Apr 29 2012, 02:40 AM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 29 2012, 08:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Apr 29 2012, 02:34 AM) *
Ben! well i haven't play the instrument for like 2 weeks now ._. and i want to polished my skills, so may i join the beginner (section) of the temple?

Of course my friend, I would love to welcome you ! cool.gif

P.S. We've changed the name of the Beginner thread to the Apprentice thread now, so look for Apprentice Bushido Task 14 and get involved ! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: Apr 29 2012, 08:57 AM

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Nov 6 2012, 03:52 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Oussss Zenzai !

I had to take a step into your DOJO with shaking legs kind of nervous
and here is my Absolute Beginner Kata

Picking Hand Basic wink.gif with a bit shaky start

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 6 2012, 04:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dieterle @ Nov 6 2012, 02:52 PM) *
Oussss Zenzai !

I had to take a step into your DOJO with shaking legs kind of nervous
and here is my Absolute Beginner Kata

Picking Hand Basic wink.gif with a bit shaky start

Yamae !!

Ok, Dieter.. time to look at the details. 0.25 to 0.38 was the best part because you were mostly in time here. In the other areas you were behind the tempo by a noticeable amount so I would either 1. Practise it slower or 2. Practise along with my main guitar track so you have another audio reference. I think that may be one of your main issues, in that you concentrate so hard on what you're doing that you almost block out the backing track.

On that middle part, starting at 0.38 I notice that you stay on the first note slightly too long and you play the rest at the right tempo. The first note needs to be the same length as the rest of them.. they are all 8th notes triplets smile.gif

Now you may go and change out of your soiled Gi and get some water ! cool.gif

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Nov 6 2012, 05:01 PM
Ousss !

Thank you Ben !

I drink a big bottle Water now and then going for exercising the Picking Hand Basic Kata biggrin.gif

Dieter

+Quote Post
Christophe
Nov 6 2012, 06:01 PM
I'm not Ben (for real ?! biggrin.gif) but I watched most of your takes since we are approximatively around the same level, and you always seem to be really nervous, calm down, be a little more relaxed, don't hesitate to do hundreds (with camera on all the time) of takes, then choose one out and post it on youtube, that's the way I process.

An other thing, you can press the space button on your keyboard to play a lesson (or a backing track) this way you have time to "prepare" yourself playing the lesson. You can also download the backing track (very easily nowadays, back in time you had to ask the instructor to send you the BT by private message), put a loop on Windows Media Player and the play.. ^^

Christophe.

This post has been edited by Christophe: Nov 6 2012, 06:02 PM

--------------------
Gear : ESP LTD MH-401QM ; Zoom G2.1Nu ; Blackstar HT-5 Preamp ; Blackstar HT-112 Speaker;

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Nov 7 2012, 08:58 PM
QUOTE (Christophe @ Nov 6 2012, 06:01 PM) *
I'm not Ben (for real ?! biggrin.gif) but I watched most of your takes since we are approximatively around the same level, and you always seem to be really nervous, calm down, be a little more relaxed, don't hesitate to do hundreds (with camera on all the time) of takes, then choose one out and post it on youtube, that's the way I process.

An other thing, you can press the space button on your keyboard to play a lesson (or a backing track) this way you have time to "prepare" yourself playing the lesson. You can also download the backing track (very easily nowadays, back in time you had to ask the instructor to send you the BT by private message), put a loop on Windows Media Player and the play.. ^^

Christophe.

Hello Christophe and thank you for your information`s !

Yes it is kind of strange sometimes i play lessons easier with out recording on video and then when i decide to record
i am a bit uncomfortable . biggrin.gif

I will try out your refers !

Dieter

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 7 2012, 09:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dieterle @ Nov 7 2012, 07:58 PM) *
Hello Christophe and thank you for your information`s !

Yes it is kind of strange sometimes i play lessons easier with out recording on video and then when i decide to record
i am a bit uncomfortable . biggrin.gif

I will try out your refers !

Dieter

Recording definitely adds the pressure. I've been doing it for quite a long time now but it still gets to me from time to time. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Nov 7 2012, 10:16 PM
Hellole here my evening try tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 8 2012, 11:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dieterle @ Nov 7 2012, 09:16 PM) *
Hellole here my evening try tongue.gif

Morgen Dieter. Ok, this one was better for the fist half. Somewhere in the middle during the 8th note triplets it went behind again. Have you tried tapping your foot when you play, to keep you in rhythm ?

Also, for the last half where it combines straight 8th notes and 16th notes.. maybe try slowing that down with a metronome. The faster 16th notes are not coming through properly. You're either not fitting them all in or they sometimes turn into 8th note triplets again.

Try tapping your foot to see if it helps you stay in time.

Also, it would be interesting to hear from Christophe or any other guitarist who can read this thread.. what helped you guys build a stronger sense of timing ? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Christophe
Nov 8 2012, 12:23 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 8 2012, 11:53 AM) *
Also, it would be interesting to hear from Christophe or any other guitarist who can read this thread.. what helped you guys build a stronger sense of timing ? smile.gif

I don't know if it's very common, I guess it's specific to each of us, but to get a stronger sense of timing I just play hundreds and hundreds take of the lesson I want to learn, this way I can memorize perfectly (almost ^^) where the notes go, when it comes to hard section I slow it down around a half (with no metronome just to get the "feeling" of the whole thing) until my fingers get used to, then speed up gradually.

I'd recommend to every begginer to practice Emir's lesson : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/neocla...o_for_beginners
which is really a PAIN to play the notes in tempo. Thanks to vibrato you can "count" the length of each note easily. The bend on D note of the B string is really hard to get it right.

--------------------
Gear : ESP LTD MH-401QM ; Zoom G2.1Nu ; Blackstar HT-5 Preamp ; Blackstar HT-112 Speaker;

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 8 2012, 12:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Christophe @ Nov 8 2012, 11:23 AM) *
I don't know if it's very common, I guess it's specific to each of us, but to get a stronger sense of timing I just play hundreds and hundreds take of the lesson I want to learn, this way I can memorize perfectly (almost ^^) where the notes go, when it comes to hard section I slow it down around a half (with no metronome just to get the "feeling" of the whole thing) until my fingers get used to, then speed up gradually.

I'd recommend to every begginer to practice Emir's lesson : https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/neocla...o_for_beginners
which is really a PAIN to play the notes in tempo. Thanks to vibrato you can "count" the length of each note easily. The bend on D note of the B string is really hard to get it right.

Cool, thanks for the input C-Man smile.gif

I developed my timing mainly by just playing with other people. I only knew a few chords so I had no choice but to play and synch in with others. I count myself lucky to have had that experience.

If you don't have the opportunity to play with other players who already have a developed sense of timing then it can be harder to develop. Being able to tap your foot along to the beat is perhaps the most universally acknowledged way to develop internal timing smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Nov 11 2012, 08:05 PM
Hello Ben !

Here my answer for the question you made about my REC .

I recognized that i have to stop to think about it - after learning what to play - get more into my heart thinking,

and try to play with feeling what didn`t work the whole time but thats the way for me i should bring into my guitar study

and by time it will work .

I use the picking hand lesson for warming up now then i try to make a record to listen by myself and hear and feel the mistakes

with closed eyes,

in between when i feel uncomfortable i do tensho kata from now on, helps me to take things easier.

Today i started with inside outside picking and it is a very interesting lesson too !

Dieter

Ben and of course use my food to tab with !!!! tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Dieterle: Nov 11 2012, 08:03 PM

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 11 2012, 08:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dieterle @ Nov 11 2012, 07:05 PM) *
Hello Ben !

Here my answer for the question you made about my REC .

I recognized that i have to stop to think about it - after learning what to play - get more into my heart thinking,

and try to play with feeling what didn`t work the whole time but thats the way for me i should bring into my guitar study

and by time it will work .

I use the picking hand lesson for warming up now then i try to make a record to listen by myself and hear and feel the mistakes

with closed eyes,

in between when i feel uncomfortable i do tensho kata from now on, helps me to take things easier.

Today i started with inside outside picking and it is a very interesting lesson too !

Dieter

Ben and of course use my food to tab with !!!! tongue.gif

Dieter, that's really cool to hear. It all comes down to feeling ! smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:32 AM