Help Please, Minor Pentatonic Question
Sizemore23
Sep 10 2009, 03:59 PM
GMC:er
I know the A Minor Pentatonic now how do I switch to different keys. Like if i wanted to play the E minor pentatonic what would I do and how would I know were the different boxes start at?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 10 2009, 04:02 PM
If you're playing your A minor pentatonic rooted at A on the 5th fret of the 6th string, you can move it to any other root note on that same string to play it in that key.

Move it just one full step (2 frets) closer to the nut, so third fret, and now it's G minor penta. Move it one minor third (3 frets) closer to the bridge, so eighth fret, and now it's C minor penta.

You'll find E minor penta starts at 12th fret of 6th string.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 10 2009, 04:06 PM
Instructor
Set your root note where you need and play the same shape. As Jafomatic said, if you start from 12th fret you'll be playing E pentatonic. You need to know when to use it. Obviously if the chord in the background is E then you can go for E pentatonic etc... That's the simplest approach but it works for the start.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Sep 10 2009, 04:17 PM
yep like the above said

the beauty of scales and chords for guitar is that the fingering stays the same...all you have to do is move them over!

so you would need to go from the 5th fret of the low E string to the 12th fret of the low E string

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Sizemore23
Sep 10 2009, 04:46 PM
Okay. So I start on the 12th fret with the 1st pattern. Then when do i end up closer to the nut? oh and thanks everyone for the reply.

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Sep 10 2009, 04:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sizemore23 @ Sep 10 2009, 04:46 PM) *
Okay. So I start on the 12th fret with the 1st pattern. Then when do i end up closer to the nut? oh and thanks everyone for the reply.

Do you know all minor pentatonic boxes? I am asking this because you still sounds like it's not 100% clear to you smile.gif Try this lesson just to learn the boxes. This one is in the key of A. You have scale diagram included.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Sizemore23
Sep 10 2009, 08:38 PM
yes i know all five boxed for the A minor. i just dont get it. instead of starting on the 12th fret for the E minor why not start at the nut?

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Sep 10 2009, 08:41 PM
Learning Tone Master
You can start at the nut! That's on octave lower!

When you start on the nut and play all the five boxes you end up at the 12th fret where the boxes start all over again!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 10 2009, 09:23 PM
Instructor
Yeah, you can find same box twice on fingerboard most likely,
even with 21 fret.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 10 2009, 11:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sizemore23 @ Sep 10 2009, 09:38 PM) *
yes i know all five boxed for the A minor. i just dont get it. instead of starting on the 12th fret for the E minor why not start at the nut?

Sure, starting at the nut is good, using open strings.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:20 PM