How Do You Alternate Picking While Palm Muting?
Martin la guitar...
Apr 30 2008, 05:07 PM
GMC:er
For me, palm muting has always been a technique i rarely practice, due to my bad right hand. When i am alternate picking (while palm muting) i feel very uncomfortable, i have to change the way i hold the pick and i have to twist my hand so that i can hit the strings from the side (hard to explain.)

I can't hit the notes as i would do if i am palm muting, I am at the moment recovering from bad alternate picking habbits and now i am constantly going up and down with my right hand, picking with the wrists so to speak. But when i do that while palm muting, i dont get enough space ( between the pick and the strings) and the picking (with the wrists).

What should i do, i hope i gave enough explaination....

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Apr 30 2008, 05:17 PM
Instructor
i think you have to palm the strings only what you are playing on and dont press too much on the
strings try to do an exercise how to palm and how to open the strings down /up
if you want to palm you can down your hand and to up just free the strings other wise
see my lesson A.harmonic minor muted solo.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Apr 30 2008, 05:18 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Well- for me getting a comfortable alternate picking involved resting my hand on the bridge, this didnt mean i was constantly palm muting- but if i do want to palm mute i just move my hand a little so that it is on the strings a little bit- my movement stays the same and my hand is angled exactly as if i was not palm muting.

One thing that takes some getting used to is moving you hand from string to string while palm muting, it can sometimes feel like you're dragging your hand across the strings.

But like any other technique - you need to find how you are comfortable and then practise.

However- if you want to get palm muting- i reccomend trying some downpicking palm muted riffs so that you can become comfortable with the "sound" of palm muting, and the amount of muting you like the sound of.

Also keep up practise with that alternate picking- palm muting alternate picking can be quite difficult at first, so having a strong alternate picking technique to start before tackling the muting will really help.

Hang in there wink.gif

+Quote Post
Martin la guitar...
Apr 30 2008, 05:20 PM
GMC:er
ok, thx, i guess i just have to practice more

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Apr 30 2008, 05:27 PM
Instructor
try puting your palm muting hand in a comfortable position to reach all the strings and practice your exercises in very slow tempo. dont play it faster if you cant play it clean in slow tempo.
you can see how i do it in my lesson here. part 3
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif
with practice you´ll make it.

my lessons

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 30 2008, 05:51 PM
Instructor
I think you answered you're question yourself man. You have troubles with certain technique because you rarely practice it. What is the solution? Well to practice it more of course. Don't worry it's not like you need years to develop a decent palm muting technique, you can put it in your main practice schedule and after a few weeks you will already see some improvement.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:08 PM