4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Poster Boy's Bootcamp, The toughest job you'll ever love!!!
Todd Simpson
Jan 29 2013, 06:50 AM
GMC:er
Welcome to SHRED BOOTCAMP! I'll be your Drill Instructor! And I do mean DRILL! As in a large power tool used in slasher films and Paul Gilbert concerts. Here is were you EARN THE LIVING DEATH out of your fingers and break through any speed bumps/barriers to become a MASTER CHIEF of Shred!

MISSON #1

THE MISSION

1.)Your mission is to go all the way back to the very start. The base of the mountain.

LESSON 1. http://bitly.com/gmclesson1

Which you will play SLOWWWWWWLLY, very SLOWWWLLLLYYYY until you master it at a crawl (As You'll Do With Each Mission, and focus on left hand FORM! Make it SUPER PERFECT!). Speed it up bit by bit until you feel your ready to take it to WAR (Any speed, it's up to you) Shoot a video and post it as a reply to this post. I'll then offer a constructive and brutally honest critique.

THE AFTERMATH

Upon nailing the crap out of lesson one at a speed you didn't think possible, and playing it a clean as a freshly waxed floor, you will be given your first insignia of Rank in BOOTCAMP!

Here is your link your personal training ground/HELL!

http://bitly.com/posterboysbootcamp

Practice!
Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 29 2013, 06:55 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jan 30 2013, 10:35 PM
Learning Roadie
Here's what you have to work with Todd

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 1 2013, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the Mission Vid Soldier! It looks like a small tactical mishap, the vid is set to PRIVATE, so I can't see it, but set it to UNLISTED and then I can see it here but it still won't be public on youtube.

Sarge
Todd

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jan 30 2013, 04:35 PM) *
Here's what you have to work with Todd

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Feb 2 2013, 07:27 AM
Learning Roadie
Set as unlisted now !!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 5 2013, 08:57 AM
Well Fought Soldier!!!

You are on your way to becoming a much more DEADLY player!!!!!!! Don't let this first victory fool you. The path ahead is long and hard, but worth the blood spilled!!

You just .......

!!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Clean Pick Strikes
2.)Tight timing
3.)Military Grade Synch

Here is your first Honor Badge Soldier!. The first of many I'm sure!

Attached Image

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Feb 2 2013, 01:27 AM) *
Set as unlisted now !!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 5 2013, 08:57 AM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Feb 12 2013, 11:58 AM
Learning Roadie
Strangely today I seemed to have a technique breakthrough (or maybe I'm just doing something wrong!)

I got into a position where my pick was just grazing the string, it certainly wasn't a Paul Gilbert thwack across the string, but it did make higher speeds so much easier, that I had to keep checking my timing etc

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 13 2013, 07:27 AM
BINGO!!! The "light touch" picking technique is one of the big TRICKS OF THE TRADE so to speak. I"ve tried to design these Missions to encourage the hands towards proper techique at each stage. When you are playing it correctly, it will actually feel easier/faster. When you are having to fight it, it usually means the technique needs a tweak.

From watching these I can see that you have a really good handle on left hand position and angle as well as good hand synch which is the entire point of this lesson. That's why there are only two notes, half a step apart, at each position. To allow the brain to focus on picking about 80 percent, fretting about 20. The balance will shift as you progress through the missions.

I do have a bit of bad news though soldier, I can see your hands looking to be killing it, but I"m having trouble hearing anything but the metronome click. Can you do one more for me with the guitar as loud or even louder than the metronome? I want to hear the strikes if possible.

Congrats on making this breakthrough Soldier!! The first of many I"m sure.

Todd

name='PosterBoy' date='Feb 12 2013, 05:58 AM' post='632728']
Strangely today I seemed to have a technique breakthrough (or maybe I'm just doing something wrong!)

I got into a position where my pick was just grazing the string, it certainly wasn't a Paul Gilbert thwack across the string, but it did make higher speeds so much easier, that I had to keep checking my timing etc

[/quote]

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Apr 19 2013, 05:18 PM
Learning Roadie
Sorry for being AWOL. I've packed the acoustic guitar away now and back in the program.

I'll get some vids up with a better balance once I work back up to this speed!

Sorry for being AWOL. I've packed the acoustic guitar away now and back in the program.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 21 2013, 04:33 AM
No worries Soldier!! Welcome back to the fight!!

Todd

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Apr 19 2013, 12:18 PM) *

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 19 2014, 07:09 AM
Learning Roadie
Back with you Todd after last years false promises.

I've started practicing lesson 1 and will get a video to you on Monday.

I'd like to get your thoughts on my seated playing posture to see if we can get that better and through that get my body more relaxed

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 20 2014, 06:05 AM
Welcome back Soldier!!!! Great to see you back in the fight!!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 19 2014, 02:09 AM) *
Back with you Todd after last years false promises.

I've started practicing lesson 1 and will get a video to you on Monday.

I'd like to get your thoughts on my seated playing posture to see if we can get that better and through that get my body more relaxed

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 21 2014, 08:06 PM
Learning Roadie
Here you go Todd, I did it a little tighter in practice but it is what it is.

I was reading some of your comments to other students and I'm trying out the classical position, it's still new to me, but I am seeing some benefits.

150bpm

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 22 2014, 01:59 AM
WELCOME BACK TO THE FIGHT SOLDIER!!!!!! It's good to see you get your hands dirty!!! No muss, no fuss, back to the KILL BOX!!!!

Let's debrief!!!

Soldier, I can tell that your time away from the range was well spent. Your playing here is tight, spot on, aggressive and outright mean!!!! Point by point then....

MEDAL OF HONOR

1.)Clean Strikes
2.)Even Pacing and Progression
3.)Blitzkried Precision/Speed.

In short Soldier, you just......

!!!!!!!LEVELED UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Image

SUPER CONGRATS SOLDIER!!!!

You are officially back on the WAR PATH!!! Keep going!!

Sarge

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 25 2014, 09:27 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey Todd I've been working on Lessons 2 and 3. Left hand and arm tension is really apparent down at the lower frets, especially with Lesson 2 being on the low E.

Here's a pic, can you see anything I can do to improve posture to help relax that arm?

I know my thumb collapses down there too

This post has been edited by PosterBoy: Jul 25 2014, 09:30 AM

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 25 2014, 12:31 PM
Learning Roadie
An interesting turn of events.

Chatting to one of the guys that works at the gym about my tension problem and he brought over a member who is a bouncer and stick fighter, who showed me a stretching exercise for the shoulder, elbow and wrist, when it was my turn to try it my lack of mobility in those areas was really obvious, so we've found at least one reason for the tension and more importantly a way forward!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 25 2014, 11:15 PM
Good man!!! The more stretching the better!! Are you doing my "Warm Up Stretches" before each mission and before each practice? They are the ones we do before each Sat/Sunday Lesson? If not, ADD THESE IN!!!!!!

Also, it looks like you are sitting "Side Saddle". With your guitar on your right leg. This creates unwanted tension on the hand/wrist in certain positions as you've noticed. Which is why I suggest attacking these missions in "Classical Position" with your guitar sitting on your LEFT leg and with your left leg elevated about 8-10 inches off the ground using any means available. I use a guitar foot stool. But books work fine too. This position alleviates that tension you are feeling smile.gif

Between the stretches and sitting in proper position with your foot elevated you should see a HUGE difference and get a bump up in terms of your playing!!!!!

Here is Chris Broderick from Megadeth sitting/playing classical.

Todd

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 25 2014, 07:31 AM) *
An interesting turn of events.

Chatting to one of the guys that works at the gym about my tension problem and he brought over a member who is a bouncer and stick fighter, who showed me a stretching exercise for the shoulder, elbow and wrist, when it was my turn to try it my lack of mobility in those areas was really obvious, so we've found at least one reason for the tension and more importantly a way forward!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 25 2014, 11:17 PM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 26 2014, 06:28 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd, even as a gym rat I'm very lax when it comes to stretching and at my ripe old age, I think it's starting to show. I will start doing your stretching warm ups before I play.

That picture is me in 'classical position' maybe I need to raise my left leg more, I currently put it on my sub woofer which is about 6 inches high. I'll send my wife out to get a footstool today.

I think your finger stretches will help a lot as no sooner do I go for a tone interval and even worse 2 tones, then with my small fingers my hand is just one big wad of tension.

I used to blame small fingers for the reason I can't play fast, but those pesky asian kids took that one away from me!

I'm working 2 12.5 hr shifts this weekend, but I'll get a video up for you on Tuesday to show you where I am with lessons 2 and 3

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 29 2014, 04:03 PM
Learning Roadie
Much more relaxed!

Here are lessons 2 and 3 at 100bpm,

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 30 2014, 05:58 AM
That's some fine playing Soldier!! I think your new approach is paying off!! So much of playing is based in the stance and how much/little tension is employed. Much like the fighting stance in Kung Fu or the Sword stance of the Samurai. If the initial stance is off, everything is off as well.

Your overall form is much improved and your level of tension is better as well smile.gif A bit of stretching before hand and sitting in proper position will do wonders! Did you get your foot stool BTW? Having the right foot elevated really helps things.

The big secret is that you are trying to find a seated position that is as close as possible to your standing playing position. That way you don't have to learn to play things twice! If you sitting and standing positions are vastly different, you have to learn to play everything two ways. Sitting and standing.

One tip. Your right position. I notice you drift up towards the low E when playing on the low E then drift higher when playing higher strings. Try to develop a "center strategy" where your hand is roughly centered on the bridge and doesn't move up and down, but instead your hand tilts/pivots as needed. That way you don't lift up and lost control of your string muting.

But on to the DEBRIEF!!!!

MEDAL OF HONOR
1.)Vastly Improved Technique and Position
2.)Very Clean Strikes and Fretting
3.)Consistent Speed/Precision

In short Soldier, you just.......

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

We don't usually take two levels at once, but you earned it!!! ONWARD!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 29 2014, 11:03 AM) *
Much more relaxed!

Here are lessons 2 and 3 at 100bpm,

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 30 2014, 05:59 AM

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Aug 7 2014, 08:39 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey Todd I'll have another video for you this weekend. Lesson 4 I've got up to 105bpm with 16th notes, but I want to try and push it a little farther (I know I have it in me!) I'm also using this lesson's structure for the other 2 common shapes of 2 tones and tone- semi tone, for a bit of variation during my practice

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:04 PM