11 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Promoting Your Playing And Your Music And You!, Tips and Tricks on Getting the word out about you!
Darius Wave
Sep 9 2013, 03:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 27 2013, 09:38 PM) *
Anyone remember myspace? It's fallen out of favor as a social media destination in the states. However, don't ignore it in your social media strategy. You can set up hootsuite.com to post to all of your social media at one time which is a great time saver. There are some parts of the world where myspace is still used so believe it or not it's a good idea to maintain your profile. Myspace recently relaunched with minimal fanfare so get ready to have to change your profile for the new platform. Myspace does allow customization. Here is my current profile. Share yours smile.gif

http://www.myspace.com/techniqueswithtodd

[attachment=30930:myspace.jpg]

I've left MySpace because through 2 or even 3 years I was NOT ABLE TO CHANGE MY DESCRIPTION :/ Mainly the biography section...I was pissed off and removed my account (funny thing...this I was able to do...)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 17 2013, 11:01 PM
GMC:er
If you are recording your own music, take a minute and...

GO JOIN REVERBNATION.COM!!!!!

It's very spiff site for Indie musicians (E.G. Not on a Major Label) to promote themselves and their music. I know, I know.

"I can't keep up with it all, I don't have time to twitter, facebook, and do this!"

Believe it or not, yes you can do all of these without killing yourself wink.gif There is a free service called

http://www.hootsuite.com

that will let you post to most of your social media in one go and even schedule posts for later on. Anyhooo!!!!!

Back to REVERBNATION. You can upload your tracks and you get ranked based on your area.

I"m CURRENTLY #2 FOR METAL IN ATLANTA!!!!

http://www.reverbnation.com/techniqueswithtodd

Attached Image

And it's not that hard to get ranked pretty high depending on how many people are in your area. Here is our own DIETERLE!!!

DIETERLE IS RANKED #2 in his area!!!!

Attached Image

Also, it will lead you through PUTTING YOUR MUSIC IN ITUNES!!! It's a killer site for musicians to get their music out. So much more focused than facebook and free of course. smile.gif Join up and start getting your music ranked and out there!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 17 2013, 11:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
Just signed up for it now, Todd. https://www.reverbnation.com/stormlinnebjerg

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 18 2013, 06:19 AM
Super Congrats!! So far you are the only one to respond to the post or create an account that I can find. I think many folks may feel they are not "ready". I'd say, if you have anything recorded, your ready smile.gif I checked out your page and it's looking good!!!

Also I noticed you tied some of your other social media in to it. smile.gif Well done there as well!! The secret sauce to leveraging the internet to your advantage as a musician doesn't require wads of cash or miracles, just a bit of time and effort.

Push back through this thread when you get a chance, it has some great tips on gaining ground in the Social Media World for your music smile.gif Other than touring non-stop, this is a great way to spread the news about your playing/music!

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 17 2013, 06:07 PM) *
Just signed up for it now, Todd. https://www.reverbnation.com/stormlinnebjerg

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 18 2013, 07:21 AM

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Sep 18 2013, 07:22 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey, these services look pretty spiff and useful.

I have a Youtube account too (here), but I don't really get any activity on it. I'm not sure if it's a matter of time, as I can definitely say I've built up a following on SoundCloud.

The idea of starting up a new following is scary, especially considering that I've already gotten a following on SoundCloud and Facebook. If I'm already happy with using these services, what are the advantages of me promoting my Youtube account as well?

I want to keep music as my focus, and not have to spend lots of time staying on top of different services. smile.gif What would you think? Thanks smile.gif

This post has been edited by Taka Perry: Sep 18 2013, 08:33 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 18 2013, 07:28 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 18 2013, 07:19 AM) *
Super Congrats!! So far you are the only one to respond to the post or create an account that I can find. I think many folks may feel they are not "ready". I'd say, if you have anything recorded, your ready smile.gif I checked out your page and it's looking good!!!

Also I noticed you tied some of your other social media in to it. smile.gif Well done there as well!! The secret sauce to leveraging the internet to your advantage as a musician doesn't require wads of cash or miracles, just a bit of time and effort.

Push back through this thread when you get a chance, it has some great tips on gaining ground in the Social Media World for your music smile.gif Other than touring non-stop, this is a great way to spread the news about your playing/music!

Todd

Cheers, Todd! I'm not a grand player or anything (yet! laugh.gif ), so I don't have much to show off, but perhaps people will see some progress then and enjoy the journey with me. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 19 2013, 05:58 AM
Sort the same bits I was mentioning in the other thread about Social Media and the idea that you NEVER want your "fans" to type your name/band in a search box and come up empty. The good news is that reverbnation offers some bits that other sites don't offer like Electronic Press Kits, getting tracks released on iTunes, help in creating promotional campaigns, regional, national rankings etc.

In short, it's just for bands. Not like facebook which is for pretty much everything. So it's very focused. Soundcloud is a great place and I'd say it's crucial to be part of it. Facebook/Twitter are less about music but still vital to your Social Media strategy. As you continue on youtube, check your ANALYTICS!!! This can tell you who is watching what and for how long. It's the key to finding who your audience is and isn't.

One way to get more traction on one site, is to promote it with your accounts on the other sites. E.G. link back to a youtube video from soundcloud/facebook/etc. embed the vid everywhere, pay for a promotional campaign, etc. smile.gif

FOCUS ON MUSIC: I don't know if you saw in my other post in another thread of yours, but you can use a site like hootsuite.com to let you post to most of your social media at one time and schedule posts to happen later. So you can spend far less time on social media and more time on music smile.gif So yeah, focus on music. Just be smart about how you do social media!

QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Sep 18 2013, 02:22 AM) *
Hey, these services look pretty spiff and useful.

I have a Youtube account too (here), but I don't really get any activity on it. I'm not sure if it's a matter of time, as I can definitely say I've built up a following on SoundCloud.

The idea of starting up a new following is scary, especially considering that I've already gotten a following on SoundCloud and Facebook. If I'm already happy with using these services, what are the advantages of me promoting my Youtube account as well?

I want to keep music as my focus, and not have to spend lots of time staying on top of different services. smile.gif What would you think? Thanks smile.gif

That's the idea! smile.gif It's good to "stake a claim" so to speak early so that you can be building your "following/fans" as you go.

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 18 2013, 02:28 AM) *
Cheers, Todd! I'm not a grand player or anything (yet! laugh.gif ), so I don't have much to show off, but perhaps people will see some progress then and enjoy the journey with me. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 19 2013, 06:00 AM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 19 2013, 08:18 AM
Instructor
Todd! I would be very interested in understanding how Adsense works and how I can use my Youtube account in combination with AdSense - I can't monetize my videos unless I do that and they are asking me for my website, which I don't have, at the moment.. Thank you millions!

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Sep 19 2013, 08:21 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 19 2013, 02:58 PM) *
Sort the same bits I was mentioning in the other thread about Social Media and the idea that you NEVER want your "fans" to type your name/band in a search box and come up empty. The good news is that reverbnation offers some bits that other sites don't offer like Electronic Press Kits, getting tracks released on iTunes, help in creating promotional campaigns, regional, national rankings etc.

In short, it's just for bands. Not like facebook which is for pretty much everything. So it's very focused. Soundcloud is a great place and I'd say it's crucial to be part of it. Facebook/Twitter are less about music but still vital to your Social Media strategy. As you continue on youtube, check your ANALYTICS!!! This can tell you who is watching what and for how long. It's the key to finding who your audience is and isn't.

One way to get more traction on one site, is to promote it with your accounts on the other sites. E.G. link back to a youtube video from soundcloud/facebook/etc. embed the vid everywhere, pay for a promotional campaign, etc. smile.gif

FOCUS ON MUSIC: I don't know if you saw in my other post in another thread of yours, but you can use a site like hootsuite.com to let you post to most of your social media at one time and schedule posts to happen later. So you can spend far less time on social media and more time on music smile.gif So yeah, focus on music. Just be smart about how you do social media!

That's the idea! smile.gif It's good to "stake a claim" so to speak early so that you can be building your "following/fans" as you go.

Awesome! Thanks a lot Todd, I'll have a look at Youtube stats and see how I can improve my reach. smile.gif I saw your post on Hootsuite earlier and gave it a shot. I still haven't gotten used to it but it seems pretty solid.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 19 2013, 08:44 AM
I wanted to share some NEW INK!!! I recently did an Interview for the

UNDERGROUNDGUITARIST.com Guitar Blog!!

Here is the link smile.gif

http://undergroundguitarist.com/interview-...uitar-technique

There are TONS of sites like this all over the web and they often give underground musicians/bands a break and some nice ink smile.gif If you have a musical project and some songs/links/band site, even a reverb nation page, be outgoing and Contact as many of these sites as you want and ask them if you can do an interview or have your music reviewed/featured!!

That's how I got this interview! I emailed him with my links/sites/music and asked for it smile.gif

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 19 2013, 08:44 AM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 19 2013, 11:50 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 19 2013, 09:44 AM) *
I wanted to share some NEW INK!!! I recently did an Interview for the

UNDERGROUNDGUITARIST.com Guitar Blog!!

Here is the link smile.gif

http://undergroundguitarist.com/interview-...uitar-technique

There are TONS of sites like this all over the web and they often give underground musicians/bands a break and some nice ink smile.gif If you have a musical project and some songs/links/band site, even a reverb nation page, be outgoing and Contact as many of these sites as you want and ask them if you can do an interview or have your music reviewed/featured!!

That's how I got this interview! I emailed him with my links/sites/music and asked for it smile.gif

Attached Image

Very nice, Todd! I enjoyed that read smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 20 2013, 08:47 AM
Instructor
Thank you for the tip Todd! I will write them too smile.gif

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Sep 24 2013, 12:38 PM
Learning Rock Star
Todd, I followed your advice and set up a Reverbnation account a few days ago. I finally got my tracks up, filled out my bio, connected my accounts etc., and for some reason I'm #2 in my area. ohmy.gif I really don't know how that happened.

Attached Image

Anyway, here's the link so let me know what you think! Thanks man smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Sep 24 2013, 02:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
As far as I know the rank system is based on "genre in area" though. I'm about 30th in my area for metal, I think. Might have been higher if I had chosen some other genre,

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 24 2013, 11:07 PM
Super Congrats!!!! smile.gif One suggestion, change your LOCATION to a BIG city that is near by. It's great to be high in the rankings but if you are high in the rankings for a really tiny place that folks have never heard of, it takes some of the gravity out of it. What is the biggest city that's closest to you? Whatever that is, change your location (the help section will walk you through it) to that city. It will porbably keep your high ranking and make it seem far more legit!

QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Sep 24 2013, 07:38 AM) *
Todd, I followed your advice and set up a Reverbnation account a few days ago. I finally got my tracks up, filled out my bio, connected my accounts etc., and for some reason I'm #2 in my area. ohmy.gif I really don't know how that happened.

Attached Image

Anyway, here's the link so let me know what you think! Thanks man smile.gif

Genre is part of it, but also, LOCATION is a HUGE factor. You want to try to pick a large city near you if possible rather than your actual location if your actual location is a place folks have never heard of. Being top of the charts in the stick/boondocks/heck of nowhere doesn't carry much weight. But naturally if you are a METAL band from UPSALLA sweden, you are in a tough market since there are TONS of Metal bands there!!

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Sep 24 2013, 09:01 AM) *
As far as I know the rank system is based on "genre in area" though. I'm about 30th in my area for metal, I think. Might have been higher if I had chosen some other genre,

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Sep 25 2013, 12:42 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 25 2013, 08:07 AM) *
Super Congrats!!!! smile.gif One suggestion, change your LOCATION to a BIG city that is near by. It's great to be high in the rankings but if you are high in the rankings for a really tiny place that folks have never heard of, it takes some of the gravity out of it. What is the biggest city that's closest to you? Whatever that is, change your location (the help section will walk you through it) to that city. It will porbably keep your high ranking and make it seem far more legit!

Genre is part of it, but also, LOCATION is a HUGE factor. You want to try to pick a large city near you if possible rather than your actual location if your actual location is a place folks have never heard of. Being top of the charts in the stick/boondocks/heck of nowhere doesn't carry much weight. But naturally if you are a METAL band from UPSALLA sweden, you are in a tough market since there are TONS of Metal bands there!!

Todd

Awesome smile.gif The biggest near me is definitely Sydney, once I get home I'll give it a try smile.gif The only thing I don't like about Reverbnation so far is that it keeps nagging me to 'Pay to Promote' and 'Run Campaigns' and et cetera.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 25 2013, 01:57 AM
Yeah, the "nag screens" are just them trying to pay the bills. You just gotta click around them smile.gif The good news is, the site is free to use, but they will still keep pitching as that's how they make money right? It's a business, not a charity so I don't begrudge them hustling for a buck, but I don't spend any money there smile.gif Not yet anyway!

Todd

QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Sep 24 2013, 07:42 PM) *
Awesome smile.gif The biggest near me is definitely Sydney, once I get home I'll give it a try smile.gif The only thing I don't like about Reverbnation so far is that it keeps nagging me to 'Pay to Promote' and 'Run Campaigns' and et cetera.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 25 2013, 05:33 AM
Good idea!! The guy that runs the site is very cool and always up for an interview with a new Artist! I"ll email him to let him know your coming his way!

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Sep 20 2013, 03:47 AM) *
Thank you for the tip Todd! I will write them too smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Sep 25 2013, 07:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Sep 25 2013, 04:33 AM) *
Good idea!! The guy that runs the site is very cool and always up for an interview with a new Artist! I"ll email him to let him know your coming his way!

Todd

Thank you very much good sir! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 25 2013, 10:06 PM
GETTING THE MOST OUT OF FACEBOOK!!!

We've discussed how important it is to have a FACEBOOK FAN PAGE and that this is ENTIRELY DIFFERENT from y our PERSONAL PAGE. Your Personal Page is for family photos, and friends and such. Your "FAN PAGE" is just for sharing information about your music with your fans.

If you have NOT created a fan page, HERE IS THE LINK!! smile.gif

https://www.facebook.com/pages/create/

Go make one. It's quick and easy smile.gif And it's something that can be viewed without logging in to facebook, and can be found via google. (your personal page is NOT viewable to google or to folks not logged in)

Once you get going CHECK YOUR FACEBOOK ANALYTICS PAGE!!!

This will tell you how effective you are being at reaching your fans. You may need to set aside a small bit of money to promote your posts just to get above the noise level of facebook. Odds are, your posts never actually reach the news feed of people who have "liked" your page. Sadly, if you want a post to show up, you have to pony up some cash. It doesn't have to be much, you can spend $10 to promote a given post and get good results.

The new analytics page on facebook is very spiff. It shows how effective or inefective your efforts at reaching your fans are. Being able to make sense of this type of information is very important. It's not as sexy as making a new solo, but it's just part of the game. smile.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:34 AM