> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Rhida's Music Journey, for Gab's Army
Rhida
Sep 6 2014, 07:02 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Ok.
I will solve my timing issues. I am only aware of it when listening carefully after recording.
Thanks again my friend.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 7 2014, 06:08 PM
Instructor
yes, that's why we always say that recording is very important as a part of the diary practice. It's the best way to check how we are playing, to note the strong and weak points and to monitor the progress. Keep on the hard work and keep me updated. wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Rhida
Sep 7 2014, 07:15 PM
Hi Gab!

Some recordings of my sunday practice.

Timing issues, vibrato, alternate picking, string bending and power chords are now my main targets;

Thanks for your support.

This post has been edited by Rhida: Sep 7 2014, 07:16 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 8 2014, 01:36 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, thanks for the update. I can say that your playing is evolving favorable thanks to your hard work. smile.gif

Alternate Picking lesson: This one still has timing issues. Remember the comments that I gave you at REC and keep on practicing.

Power chords: This lesson is starting to sound good. Your timing is good on this one but I can notice that some power chords sound a bit out of tune. This can be because of two reasons: a problem with your guitar (tuning or calibration) or an issue related to your fingers pressure. What do you think? Do you have any suspect of what's the real reason?

String bending: This technique is getting better! There are good bends and there are bad bends but you are improving the technique so you have to keep on practicing bends every day to feel more comfortable. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Sep 8 2014, 06:51 PM
Right on Gab!
It's definitely a lot of unnecessary pressure from my left hand that's why I picked this lesson on power chords in the first place. I must concentrate on that to eliminate this bad habit.
String bending is a long process but I am glad that you say it's better. I will continue to improve it.
For alternate picking I will isolate it and play strict eight notes with the metronome.
I will upload some recordings in a few days and you will tell me.
see you!

+Quote Post
Rhida
Sep 8 2014, 10:41 PM
So a little update on my work on the improvisation course. I wanted to be as melodic as possible. I used 2 mins of the jam track from week 1.
I tried to incorporate bending, vibrato, tremolo picking, sweeping (on 2 strings arpeggios at my level of course!), hammer-ons and mixing major pentatonic major scale and arpeggios.
Still a long way to go but weeks ago I never thought I would come up with something like that!
I enjoy a lot the creative side of my practice routine.
Thanks for these lessons and the inspiration Gab!

+Quote Post
Rhida
Sep 9 2014, 05:14 AM
About the alternate picking lesson.
I found that in the last part I was rushing and skipping one note every round when listening to my last recording and that I was playing a bit ahead of the beat.
I tried to correct that so here's a recording of my last practice session.
I know it's not perfect but I hope it's better.

This post has been edited by Rhida: Sep 9 2014, 08:49 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 9 2014, 03:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Rhida @ Sep 8 2014, 06:41 PM) *
So a little update on my work on the improvisation course. I wanted to be as melodic as possible. I used 2 mins of the jam track from week 1.
I tried to incorporate bending, vibrato, tremolo picking, sweeping (on 2 strings arpeggios at my level of course!), hammer-ons and mixing major pentatonic major scale and arpeggios.
Still a long way to go but weeks ago I never thought I would come up with something like that!
I enjoy a lot the creative side of my practice routine.
Thanks for these lessons and the inspiration Gab!

Hi Rhida! It's so cool to see you playing melodically! Your phrasing is very tasty on this improvisation and this makes me feel very proud and motivated! You definitely need to continue exploring and experimenting with this stuff. The possibilities are endless and I'm sure that you have a lot of fun while you practice. I can spend hours just jamming over backing tracks. Keep on the good job! smile.gif

QUOTE (Rhida @ Sep 9 2014, 01:14 AM) *
About the alternate picking lesson.
I found that in the last part I was rushing and skipping one note every round when listening to my last recording and that I was playing a bit ahead of the beat.
I tried to correct that so here's a recording of my last practice session.
I know it's not perfect but I hope it's better.

Hi mate, yes! It's better! but there is still room to improve the rhythm of thoe 8th notes to make it sound tighter with the drums. I recommend you to practice this one over the original lesson and try to emulate Bear's rhythm, to to go tight with him.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Sep 10 2014, 06:52 PM
Gab thanks a lot for your kind words!
You are truly an inspiration man!

So for the time to come I will concentrate on The Soulful Ballad Collab applying what I learn with my lessons and your improvisation course (in the creative side of my practice routine).
I will share ideas here to have your insights along the way.

So here's a little idea for the intro.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 10 2014, 10:52 PM
Instructor
Hi Rhida! Good job with this melody! I can see how you are following the chords with Arpeggios! You are applying the concepts from the course in a very good way!! smile.gif

Just two comments:

- Your guitar is a bit out of tune.
- The last note (F) isn't the best choice over G. It's not bad, it's the 7th, but don't you feel that another note could sound cooler there?
Maybe G?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Sep 11 2014, 08:54 PM
All right Gab!
I was transcribing what I heard in my head and the seventh made the melody somewhat unresolved but it was pleasant to my ear.
I followed your suggestion but I struggled to make the G note sound right.
But coming to this note with a bend was the solution and my wife like this one better!
And women know a thing or two a bout ballads wink.gif
So here it is.

P.S. : I prefer this one too laugh.gif !

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 11 2014, 10:32 PM
Instructor
hahaha I like this new version!! The tuning issue wasn't helping in the previous take. This one is much better in all aspects. The only detail is that the bend is a bit insecure, I would make it sound more confident, what do you say? and what does your wife say?? tongue.gif biggrin.gif

Just kidding, my girl is also the first one I ask for opinions every time I record a new piece of music. She has a special sensibility with music and his opinion is always helpful. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Sep 12 2014, 07:58 PM
Hey Gab!
I'm back with a better intro for the ballad at least in my opinion! wink.gif
I changed the rhythm of some notes to add a more vocal quality and tried to play with more conviction on the last G.

As you see I made an onslaught on the REC forum. I had a lot of free time this afternoon so I knew what I had to do! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Rhida: Sep 12 2014, 08:57 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 12 2014, 10:13 PM
Instructor
Hi Rhida!! Excellent job man! It sounds solid and tasty. I love it. Congratulations!!

Are you planning to record anything over the other parts? smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Sep 12 2014, 10:16 PM
Definitely!
Thanks for the comment!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 13 2014, 01:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Rhida @ Sep 12 2014, 06:16 PM) *
Definitely!
Thanks for the comment!

All REC takes are now commented! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Sep 13 2014, 07:16 PM
Hi Gab and thanks a lot for the comments.
A lot of invaluable informations and insights from you, Cosmin and Ben. I sometimes bend with my fingers, I didn't notice that before you pointed it to me, old habits my friend. I will concentrate on the the wrist movement.
And I will work on my power chords shifting.
The alternate picking lesson is a lot of trouble and has become my "White Whale" lately. It's my obsession! smile.gif
So today I experimented with dynamics and various picking attacks.
I think that the result is much better but I am still sometimes ahead of the beat.
I will make this tighter in the days to come.

I have some ideas for the verse and the chorus for the ballad collab. I will share them wih you in a few days.

EDIT

Hi Gab!

Had a rough time at the REC zone, some grades are just disappointing. mad.gif
I made improvements in some areas and I got better reviews but the results are not there. I'm talking about the string bending lesson :
7 the first time
7.33 the 2nd time
6.25 the 3rd time although this take is better than the previous one and before Guido made a review I got an average 7, still less than the 2nd time.
But I will not give up and I will put another take next week! wink.gif

Anyway I know it's for the best and that I must"work"harder!
About the alternate picking lesson today I put the accent on beat 2 and 4, it seems to help with my timing issues and today's take seems to my ear a lot better than yesterday's. What do you think?

This post has been edited by Rhida: Sep 14 2014, 05:27 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 15 2014, 05:17 AM
Instructor
Hi Rhida, how are you?

I'm really glad to know that our feedback is helping to note which are the things that you need to improve on each of the lessons and techniques that you are working. That AP take is sounding tighter and dynamics are more controlled now so you are on the right track.

I understand the frustration that we feel when it seems that we are not improving, but you don't have to worry too much on grading by now, you have to focus on polishing your technique. There are many details that we have to have in mind while we practice and sometimes a new thing to focus can make us distract from some others that we already mastered. It takes some days, weeks, and sometimes months to be able to play a technique with all the details in a natural way without having to thing too much on each details. The level and improvements will be irregular until you reach that moment.

Please be patient and keep on practising with this energy. Perfection will come with practice and time. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Rhida
Sep 20 2014, 11:12 AM
Hey Gabe!
As usual thanks for your feedback at the REC zone.
And because of it I think that I isolated rhe right strumming pattern for the open chords lesson and I will share a video here in the next few days.
For the alternate picking lesson I found today that I rush particularly the last eighth note of each section. I am working on it right now and I will post a recording here also.

And now my improvising for The Soulful Ballad Collab.
I've been working on it everyday, trying to make it flow, feeling each note with the backing track, applying what I learn from my lessons and your improvisation course and above all transcribe what is in my head and not letting my fingers going in auto-pilot.
It's a bunch of phrases put together with reaper but I tried to keep continuity to make a long solo.

I have a long long way to go but God I'm enjoying this journey everyday! It's been a long time since I had this feeling about the guitar and music. This community has renewed my love for the instrument.
I learn a lot from you!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 20 2014, 06:32 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Nice to feel you with a great energy and attitude. smile.gif

The improvisation has some really nice phrases happening. The main thing that I note that it has important pitch/tuning issues and that makes some phrases sound a bit out with the backing. Is it possible to re-check tuning and record the solo again? It's good that you played a complete solo but don't forget that "silences" are also part of the music. There aren't silences between the phrases while you play and I think that it makes the solo a bit static... please check out Jonnathan's playing over the same backing. Pay attention to how the phrases are very defined. There is a question and answer dialogue between the phrases and there are silences that make the solo easier to hear and follow...

Check it out and tell me what you think:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The_tasty_etude/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:27 PM