Tubes And Pickups For Djent?
guitarguy93
May 1 2012, 10:49 PM
GMC:er
Hey, guys. Newbie here. tongue.gif First off, I love that djent tone and, being the owner of an 8 string, love playing it! I'm constantly trying to dial in a better tone, but I fear that I'm only going to get so far with my amp.

I have an ENGL e530 preamp and a Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp. I was thinking about replacing the tubes OR the pickups in my guitar. The power amp takes 4 EL34s and the preamp takes 2 12AX7s. I'm going for a nice, tight bass, loads of high mids, and a lot of treble without it getting too hissy.

Also, like I said, I might replace the pickups rather than my tubes, if that's going to affect it more. At the moment, I have a Schecter Omen-8 with DiMarzio D'Activator 8s. I was thinking about getting some Bare Knuckle Pain Killers, but I'm hoping you guys can give me something more...Shall we say "cost effective?" tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Music is a way of life. You live it, you don't just listen.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
May 2 2012, 01:00 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (guitarguy93 @ May 1 2012, 09:49 PM) *
Hey, guys. Newbie here. tongue.gif First off, I love that djent tone and, being the owner of an 8 string, love playing it! I'm constantly trying to dial in a better tone, but I fear that I'm only going to get so far with my amp.

I have an ENGL e530 preamp and a Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp. I was thinking about replacing the tubes OR the pickups in my guitar. The power amp takes 4 EL34s and the preamp takes 2 12AX7s. I'm going for a nice, tight bass, loads of high mids, and a lot of treble without it getting too hissy.

Also, like I said, I might replace the pickups rather than my tubes, if that's going to affect it more. At the moment, I have a Schecter Omen-8 with DiMarzio D'Activator 8s. I was thinking about getting some Bare Knuckle Pain Killers, but I'm hoping you guys can give me something more...Shall we say "cost effective?" tongue.gif

I don't know if an 8-String version of this pickup exists, but from what I know, it is the go to Djent pickup. Misha Mansoor of Periphery is one of the few notables from the Djent genre that I can think of that utilises this pickup.

Bareknuckle Aftermath:

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/picku...ickup=aftermath

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 2 2012, 02:13 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm drooling over here.... tongue.gif

+Quote Post
guitarguy93
May 2 2012, 11:53 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ May 2 2012, 12:00 AM) *
I don't know if an 8-String version of this pickup exists, but from what I know, it is the go to Djent pickup. Misha Mansoor of Periphery is one of the few notables from the Djent genre that I can think of that utilises this pickup.

Bareknuckle Aftermath:

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/picku...ickup=aftermath

Aye. It does exist. It's on their site and all. It just doesn't look as cool.

Stop drooling and go buy some badass gear, like me. wink.gif Nah, I understand that a lot of people aren't as fortunate as I am as to be able to throw $1000+ into their rig. In all honesty, I wish I had saved up for a high-end modeler such as a used AXE FX or an Eleven Rack. That way, I can have compressed cleans with any other effects and a nice, dry djent-y distortion. Now, I'm saving for a POD HD500. I'd LOVE to have an HD Pro, simply because I love my rack stuff, but I can't afford the preamp AND the footswitch for it. sad.gif Not now, anyways. wink.gif

EDIT: Adding on to the above statement about gear: I was skeptical when buying a preamp, because I'm a tube "purist," so to speak, and I was afraid of getting that nasty, digital sound from anything digital, but with recent technology, it's possible to have the versatility of digital and the warm sound of tube all in one, and at a fair price at that. The POS HD series is a PERFECT example of such a feat. What amazing sound from a digital preamp!

This post has been edited by guitarguy93: May 2 2012, 11:56 AM

--------------------
Music is a way of life. You live it, you don't just listen.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 3 2012, 09:16 AM
Instructor
Hehe biggrin.gif Got something for ya guys wink.gif

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 5 2012, 06:16 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Your D-Activators should be fine.

And also,

"Djent", is in your technique, not your equipment.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:40 AM