I need help on the correct picking for a speed excersice, Please look
Fender23strat
Feb 27 2007, 11:32 PM
GMC:er
Ok I got an excercise that i'm practicing except i'm not sure of how to pick the notes. i know this sounds weird but just hear me out and you'll understand.

okay the excersice goes like this
E
B
G
D------------------------------- 5----7p5h9p7 and so on
A------------ 5----7p5h9p7--- 9
E 7p5h8p7-----8

then you play it backwards
E -------------- 7 -----8p7h10p7h8-------7
B 8p7h10p8---10--------------------10----8h10p7h8 and so on
G
D
A
E

My Confusion is on the notes that your supposed to pick which I bolded should I play up or down for correct technique. Please help me out here.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Fender23strat: Feb 27 2007, 11:35 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 28 2007, 11:55 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Fender23strat @ Feb 27 2007, 11:32 PM) *
My Confusion is on the notes that your supposed to pick which I bolded should I play up or down for correct technique. Please help me out here.

Tabulature is good but we have to assume the length of the notes. And for an exercise like this I think we can assume they are equally long.

Alternate picking!
Pick down on the bold seven
then think (or easier pick but miss) up5 down8 up7
pick down5
pick up8
pick down7
think (or easier pick but miss) up5 down9 up7
etc.

So you see it's always down up down up down up down wether you hit or miss the string.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Fender23strat
Feb 28 2007, 07:16 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Feb 28 2007, 04:55 AM) *
Tabulature is good but we have to assume the length of the notes. And for an exercise like this I think we can assume they are equally long.

Alternate picking!
Pick down on the bold seven
then think (or easier pick but miss) up5 down8 up7
pick down5
pick up8
pick down7
think (or easier pick but miss) up5 down9 up7
etc.

So you see it's always down up down up down up down wether you hit or miss the string.

see that's the way that it would come naturally to play but then it's not specificall alternate picking. Because you would have two down stokes in a row. So i'm not sure....

+Quote Post
MickeM
Feb 28 2007, 08:30 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Fender23strat @ Feb 28 2007, 07:16 PM) *
see that's the way that it would come naturally to play but then it's not specificall alternate picking. Because you would have two down stokes in a row. So i'm not sure....

It's still alternate picking - alternate picking movement - even the misses count.

Alternate picking is not about, like in your example, picking the bold notes up down up down etc. It's about the movement of the pick.
And it's not about counting notes either, since they can be of various length, it's about following the rhythm.

Just make the down up down up movement repeadidly, hit the notes your supposed to hit, if there's a hammer on still move the pick down or up keeping the flow but in the air this time.

Picking in the air, the misses, and keep moving down up the entire time is what I did in the beginning and it really helps to get the feel for it.

+Quote Post
Fender23strat
Mar 1 2007, 11:59 PM
OOOOh okay thanks a lot man. I completely understand it know. Thanks!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:09 PM