Need Help With Solo, Alternate picking
Ulrik
Dec 29 2010, 03:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hi, I wanted to write a personal message, but I couldn't attach a file that way, so I'm writing in the forum.
Feel free to answer here or in a PM when you get the time.

I need some help on learning the guitar solo of this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvUHI8GmZiQ

I have uploaded a guitar pro file, so you are able to see how I play it.

I am playing it at around 65 bpm and that is nowhere near the original, so maybe it's a bit out of my league.
It looks to me on the video like it's mostly alternate picking, but I am not able to just hear it.

The hardest parts for me are measures 13 + 15.

In 13 I choose to place my index finger on the 15th. fret and not move at any time. It helps me keeping track on my fingers, if I do not do this I have problems where i need to hit the 17 fret on the G string. I just sweep down the four strings instead of doing alternate picking.

In 15 I think, there is to little space for my fingers and I don't believe I can ever play around double speed of what I'm doing now.

So here are my questions:
Do you believe it is alternate picking all the way through the solo.
I have tried moving the notes around on the fretboard, but this is what works for me. Would you play it in another way?
Can I ever play as fast as this? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Dec 29 2010, 04:13 PM
Learning Tone Master
1) No, I do not believe it is alternate picking all the way. Does it really matter? Do what works for you smile.gif
2) I would play it in a different way, but whatever works for you..works wink.gif
3) Yes, of course you can ever play as fast as that. You can play as fast as you possibly want, it just takes time.

Also, if you think some of the notes are off, there is just one thing to do about them. There are only 12 possibilities wink.gif
And nothing is out of your league, some things just takes more time to learn (or try to learn), but they are usually more rewarding. By giving your everything to this, you will learn a lot!

Great solo by a great band. Good luck biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Dec 29 2010, 09:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Dec 29 2010, 04:13 PM) *
1) No, I do not believe it is alternate picking all the way. Does it really matter? Do what works for you smile.gif
2) I would play it in a different way, but whatever works for you..works wink.gif

1) If the last part is pull offs instead of alternate picking it is easier I guess.
2) Yeah I tried putting it other places but this way works for me.

Thank you for you point oif view

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 30 2010, 07:06 PM
GMC:er
Sollesness has great point here. If you are trying to play a given solo, unless it's for a jury at Juliard, it's important to get to a place where it sounds good and works well with your style. So even if they are alternate picking everything, if it works better for you as pull off, go with that. Now if you are learning the solo just to work on your alternate picking, step back a bit, and work on your alternate picking, then go back to the solo.

As for learning this particular solo, you are doing the right things so well done on that. You have the guitar pro file, you are practicing it, etc. I'd say play it as slow as it takes to be able to make it all the way through the solo without a mistake then work up your speed a few bpm at a time. It can be tedious, even mind numbing, but playing well doesn't happen by accident or providence, only through persistent practice.

Todd

QUOTE (Ulrik @ Dec 29 2010, 03:18 PM) *
1) If the last part is pull offs instead of alternate picking it is easier I guess.
2) Yeah I tried putting it other places but this way works for me.

Thank you for you point oif view

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Dec 30 2010, 07:26 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 30 2010, 07:06 PM) *
Sollesness has great point here. If you are trying to play a given solo, unless it's for a jury at Juliard, it's important to get to a place where it sounds good and works well with your style. So even if they are alternate picking everything, if it works better for you as pull off, go with that. Now if you are learning the solo just to work on your alternate picking, step back a bit, and work on your alternate picking, then go back to the solo.

As for learning this particular solo, you are doing the right things so well done on that. You have the guitar pro file, you are practicing it, etc. I'd say play it as slow as it takes to be able to make it all the way through the solo without a mistake then work up your speed a few bpm at a time. It can be tedious, even mind numbing, but playing well doesn't happen by accident or providence, only through persistent practice.

Todd

Thank you for the answer Todd.
I'll go on with this solo as it suits me best, and at the same time I'll look more into your alternate picking lessons.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 2 2011, 10:33 AM
GMC:er
Take a look at the lesson note thread and read through until you find the lesson that looks like it might be a challenge. Start there and work up. By the time you make it all the way to lesson 38, you'll be shredding like a mad man.

QUOTE (Ulrik @ Dec 30 2010, 01:26 PM) *
Thank you for the answer Todd.
I'll go on with this solo as it suits me best, and at the same time I'll look more into your alternate picking lessons.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:44 AM