3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Apple, as in Mac
Nick Kellie
Mar 14 2008, 03:00 PM
Instructor
cool smile.gif I hope it helps you... let me know if you need any help.

Nick

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 14 2008, 03:14 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Well, right now I'm typing from an I-Mac. They look great, the screen is huge and they have lots of features like an in-build-webcam. Thing thing is you have to chose, do you know a good program for Mac, and you don't wanna play games or use a lot of other microsoft applications (MS-Offic is there for Mac aswell)? then go for the Mac (if you have the money cause they arn't cheap). If you want to have a more alround computer, compatible with almost all software and a bit cheaper, then go for the windows. The good thing from Mac is the great performand, the good thing from Windows is that they are most used, so mostly compatible.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 14 2008, 04:52 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
+1 with Kaznie_NL.

Still I'd guess that you may be able to run Windows/MS PC software in an emulator, particularly if you go with a Mac pc?

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 14 2008, 04:56 PM
Instructor
Bit of topic...but I'm looking for an iPhone right now laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Nick Kellie
Mar 14 2008, 05:00 PM
Instructor
yeah... i have windows on mine too... i can choose which i want to boot up to... it runs super quick with windows too.
Muris - I have an ipod touch... they are fantastic! and the iphone man.... my friend has one - They are developing new software for them now too ... so great.

nick

+Quote Post
at lights end
Mar 14 2008, 05:11 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Hauke_Z @ Mar 14 2008, 12:43 PM) *
I know this is a little off topic, but I got a question for the other Mac-Users

I use a PowerMac G5 (dual 2 Ghz) with 2,5 GB RAM an Garageband. The Guitar is plugged in through an USB-Preamp. I often get a delay using Garageband, even if no other programs are running. Does anyone have an idea how to stop it? The only way I know so far is a restart mad.gif

have you tried quitting garageband and then reopening it rather than restart?
this is what my computer tells me to do:

Depending on the computer and audio hardware you are using, you may hear a slight delay when playing and recording Real or Software Instruments.

This delay, called “latency,” can happen because it takes a short amount of time for the input of a Real Instrument to reach the computer’s input port and be processed.

Latency can also be caused when the Ducking Amount slider for the master track is set to a value other than zero. Ducking can result in latency for both Real and Software Instrument instruments.

To reduce latency, do one of the following:
For Real Instruments, choose GarageBand > Preferences, click Audio/MIDI, then click the “Minimum delay when playing instruments live” button in the “Optimize for” section.

For both Real and Software Instruments, open the Track Info pane, click Master Track, then set the Ducking Amount slider to zero.

Selecting “Minimum delay when playing instruments live” uses more of the computer’s processing power. This can affect perfomance, especially on slower computers.

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post
stratman33
Mar 14 2008, 10:38 PM
we have a normal white iMac at my house and its great, ultra fast smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 15 2008, 12:34 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nick Kellie @ Mar 14 2008, 05:00 PM) *
yeah... i have windows on mine too... i can choose which i want to boot up to... it runs super quick with windows too.
Muris - I have an ipod touch... they are fantastic! and the iphone man.... my friend has one - They are developing new software for them now too ... so great.

nick

I have iPod as well(not sure what touch version is unsure.gif )
Apple really has great design of products,all rounded,kind a sweet. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 15 2008, 12:41 AM
Singing Instructor
Mac Pro...well....8 core,goes to 16 GB ram....but to expencive....about 4-5 000 $ or more...but that machine and Logic 8...you are happy for life....off course if you have + 13 000 $..you can buy HD3 pro tools system(including 3 DSP cards)with bundle of best plug ins ....and that is the best in the world,absolute standard in music production....smile.gif...ah...I am dreaming know....smile.gif

--------------------

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Nick Kellie
Mar 15 2008, 01:05 AM
Instructor
muris, this is the ipod touch - http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/

nick

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 15 2008, 01:09 AM
Instructor
Ahh,same as iPhone but without Phone. wink.gif

Nope,mine is regular iPod then. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
rokchik
Mar 15 2008, 06:09 PM
The Dark Canuck
I just ordered a new Macbook, should have it anyday now...ordered direct from Apple as no dealer where I live.

2.4GHz with 2 GB ram, and 250GB memory. Not that I know what any of that means, all I understand is that it's black laugh.gif I'm not very computer savvy.

+Quote Post
daimeon
Mar 17 2008, 09:49 AM
QUOTE (Nick Kellie @ Mar 14 2008, 02:08 PM) *
guitar pro 5 is also really cheap to register and free to download at their website... works great on my mac

nick

I second that.
Guitar Pro is easy to use and produces really goog looking tabs.

+Quote Post
Nick Kellie
Mar 17 2008, 11:24 PM
Instructor
my dad has a black macbook - they're brilliant

+Quote Post
Goliath
Mar 18 2008, 02:09 AM
I had an old 1.3ghz powerbook that was stolen recently, I looked at replacing it and it was too darn expensive to replace, so I sprung for an HP pavillion that is worth less than half of what I paid for the powerbook new.

I miss the mac, but having Vista isn't so bad, since it pretends to run like OSX.

As for memory, I bought an extra 512MB for my powerbook right before it was stolen, Apple.com wanted $150 for it and in the store they wanted 30 to install it. I laughed in their face, went to Newegg.com bought the EXACT SAME stick of memory (Kingston) for $42 shipped, installed it myself. They're overpriced but they are phenomenally stable. I hadn't considered a mini mac to get for home. I might check into that.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
a4rock
Mar 18 2008, 09:56 AM
Still I'd guess that you may be able to run Windows/MS PC software in an emulator, particularly if you go with a Mac pc?

Yep, you can use a virtual machine like Parallels, or choose to use boot camp, lo choose what OS to load at startup wink.gif

Personally I'm on a Mac since one year, and never looked back smile.gif

+Quote Post
bmh1109
Mar 20 2008, 03:33 AM
if i may make a suggestion as a computer nerd, you can build your own computer if your up for it for much much cheaper than you can buy one, then you can choose which operating system you wanted to go with and since you stated you wanted a Mac, you can easily install the Mac OS on to a comp you build. For example i have a gaming computer which has a new intel quad core CPU at over 3ghz with 2gb of ram and i have well under $2000 in it and that includes my $400 graphics card. So I guess what im trying to say is its worth while to research building your own and installing the os of your choice. Another thing you can do with a comp you build yourself is spec a good studio sound card to record straight into it and save money on a firewire or other interface box for the comp. If your interested I can help spec out a PC build to fit your budget and taste, just post up on here or shoot me a PM.

--------------------
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Fender MIM Strat
Amps
Mesa Studio Preamp--->Mesa 50/50--->Line 6 M13 ---> into Avatar 2x12 Cab rewired for stereo operation

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 23 2008, 12:58 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (bmh1109 @ Mar 20 2008, 03:33 AM) *
if i may make a suggestion as a computer nerd, you can build your own computer if your up for it for much much cheaper than you can buy one, then you can choose which operating system you wanted to go with and since you stated you wanted a Mac, you can easily install the Mac OS on to a comp you build. For example i have a gaming computer which has a new intel quad core CPU at over 3ghz with 2gb of ram and i have well under $2000 in it and that includes my $400 graphics card. So I guess what im trying to say is its worth while to research building your own and installing the os of your choice. Another thing you can do with a comp you build yourself is spec a good studio sound card to record straight into it and save money on a firewire or other interface box for the comp. If your interested I can help spec out a PC build to fit your budget and taste, just post up on here or shoot me a PM.

I've been back and forth, as usual when I'm going to decide on somehting. From what I've learned so far Mac is still a tad in advantage before a PC, mainly for the stability. My freind who's a professional in the area said to get a firewire for the same reason, it's more stable than USB.

Just rescently I for the POD X3 Live, I tried recording with it as if it were a soundcard into my Dell Inspiron 6000 Win XP 1,7GHz 1GB RAM. The sound quality from the X3 was teriffic but the computer can't handle it as far as I can tell... Maybe too little RAM. It's one of my two work computers, I rarely use it and my employer told me I could do whatever I want with it.
Check this clip, sounds like an old LP
I recorded it with Reaper since it runs better than ACID Pro which dies at about five audio tracks, I can get responsetimes up to 30-60 seconds. And btw, it's clean from asware, virus etc.

If that DELL is something I could improve, just by putting more memory in it, that would be great. It seems like the POD X3 Live can manage the recordings just fine and I can record bass and vocals with it aswell. I don't have money so I can get just about anything but I'm rather in a budget so the cheaper the better.
One problem with Dell as far as I understand is that it doesn't handle Firewire well... Something about the hardware being of the cheaper and less quality kind.

So, please, I'd very much like your input since you know computers well.
What I'm looking for in the end is the possibility to record one track at the time and playback up to say 16 tracks without my computer starting to sag (like the soundclip)
I have extrernal drive and can hook up to USB and the X3 POD also to USB. The only think I miss is MIDI but my keyboard runs through USB aswell so I can manage.

1) Is it possible to upgrade the Dell Inspiron 6000 into a descent machine?
2) A cheapo PC which is made only for music production, nothing else. (Rather a stationary, no laptop, since that's a cost save). Soundcard selection as you please, internal or external. Whatever you find to be smarter.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 23 2008, 01:01 PM
ADDITION (can't edit my old post due to some problems): The PC is to build myself i.e. - 230V/50Hz

+Quote Post
MickeM
Mar 23 2008, 01:36 PM
Due to some proxy issues I never got to the upload selection, so I couldn't add the sound clip.

Again: I can't EDIT my post

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:35 PM