9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Claudiostrat's Boootcamp
ClaudioStrat
Dec 20 2020, 08:41 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

Lesson 7 below, a couple of speeds. Real work out for the pinky, especially the transitions up was challenging

Cheers,
Claudio

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 21 2020, 01:18 AM
GMC:er
Progress!!! This is a tricky bit to be sure and it's on a loop so it can wear than hand out. It's meant to show you where your technique might be causing your hand to wear out to quickly. One thing I notice is that your thumb is almost straight. Try to bend your thumb just a bit at the joint closest to the thumbnail. This places the pick a bit closer to the hand. By keeping it straight you push it away from the hand. It is sort of like trying to use a pick on the end of a pencil. It's harder to control. Also, I notice that as soon as you speed up, you start to lose precision. It's very very close to being ready. I think you may just need a bit more time on it. The slower version was more precise. This is a "shred" lick and eventually you will be able to play this at warp speed. For working on the basic idea of it, don't move it around. Just keep it in one spot and loop it. Once you get it going, then start moving it around the neck. Always try to reduce the amount of hand wag near the pick strike point. This reduces the amount of time until the next strike. Also, always use the bridge pickup. Avoid the neck pickup in Missions as it does not let me hear pick strikes. if this is on the bridge forgive me smile.gif It just sounds like the neck pickup.

P.S. Can you show me your pick at the start of the next video? I just wanna see what your using.

A few more loops with a metronome and then back in to the TRENCH!!

Sarge

QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Dec 20 2020, 03:41 PM) *
Hi,

Lesson 7 below, a couple of speeds. Real work out for the pinky, especially the transitions up was challenging

Cheers,
Claudio

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 21 2020, 01:20 AM

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Dec 22 2020, 01:33 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks. For the feedback, the thumbs straight thing is something I need to monitor, never thought about it.
I’m away for a couple of weeks, will practice but not sure Will be able to do recordings as on my headphone amp.

I was using the Dava pointy pick.
I was on neck pick up indeed!

Cheers,
Claudio

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 21 2020, 12:18 AM) *
Progress!!! This is a tricky bit to be sure and it's on a loop so it can wear than hand out. It's meant to show you where your technique might be causing your hand to wear out to quickly. One thing I notice is that your thumb is almost straight. Try to bend your thumb just a bit at the joint closest to the thumbnail. This places the pick a bit closer to the hand. By keeping it straight you push it away from the hand. It is sort of like trying to use a pick on the end of a pencil. It's harder to control. Also, I notice that as soon as you speed up, you start to lose precision. It's very very close to being ready. I think you may just need a bit more time on it. The slower version was more precise. This is a "shred" lick and eventually you will be able to play this at warp speed. For working on the basic idea of it, don't move it around. Just keep it in one spot and loop it. Once you get it going, then start moving it around the neck. Always try to reduce the amount of hand wag near the pick strike point. This reduces the amount of time until the next strike. Also, always use the bridge pickup. Avoid the neck pickup in Missions as it does not let me hear pick strikes. if this is on the bridge forgive me smile.gif It just sounds like the neck pickup.

P.S. Can you show me your pick at the start of the next video? I just wanna see what your using.

A few more loops with a metronome and then back in to the TRENCH!!

Sarge

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 22 2020, 09:43 PM
Enjoy your Holidays Soldier!!! smile.gif

Sarge

QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Dec 22 2020, 08:33 AM) *
Thanks. For the feedback, the thumbs straight thing is something I need to monitor, never thought about it.
I’m away for a couple of weeks, will practice but not sure Will be able to do recordings as on my headphone amp.

I was using the Dava pointy pick.
I was on neck pick up indeed!

Cheers,
Claudio

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Dec 22 2020, 11:15 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 22 2020, 08:43 PM) *
Enjoy your Holidays Soldier!!! smile.gif

Sarge

Thanks Sarge!

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Jan 10 2021, 03:29 PM
Learning Roadie
Hello Sarge,
Happy new year!

Back at it, a couple of examples same speed 150 , 8/8. Can do a little faster but not much and it gets a little messy. A tricky one for me

Cheers

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 11 2021, 08:42 AM
Solid work Soldier!! This is a tricky bit due to the fret travel happening on the first note of the next spot in each section of the sequence. I can hear that this part of the drill is a bit more than your hands are ready to handy but only just. You can play the pattern just fine and could loop it no problem. It's this tricky bit of fret traverse that seems to be causing the issue. Not to worry though as this is just one of many. There are many more chances to work on traverse. Your playing here is more than enough to send you to the next mission. One thing I would say is please add more gain/distortion for your next take if possible. Not a ton extra, but a bit extra. This will show any gaps in your mute and make mistakes stand out more. Start trying to use as much gain as you would during a solo. As for this one, you just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Todd

QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Jan 10 2021, 10:29 AM) *
Hello Sarge,
Happy new year!

Back at it, a couple of examples same speed 150 , 8/8. Can do a little faster but not much and it gets a little messy. A tricky one for me

Cheers

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Jan 24 2021, 06:10 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd,

Another tricky one for my pinky.
Spend 2weeks working on this one, and still not too easy to do a clean recording.

A few speeds, so you you can see my struggle at higher speeds... biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Claudio

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 28 2021, 12:47 AM
I appreciate your hard work Soldier. I think I see the issue. Did you watch my vid for this one? I"m keeping the pick at a forward angle (as I always do) and only barely striking the string with the very tip of my sharpened pick. This reduces recovery time for the left hand and increases speed. Also, I notice you are not sitting in classical position, but are sitting "side saddle". Try placing the guitar in between your legs This changes the entire angle of the hands and makes things easier to play. Thats why classical guitar players sit that way. I realize this is a huge change in the way you are playing, but isolating these types of things is why I have Soldiers play a standardized set of Missions. So I can know what to look for. Try to make these changes and see if you find them useful.

Sarge

QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Jan 24 2021, 01:10 PM) *
Hi Todd,

Another tricky one for my pinky.
Spend 2weeks working on this one, and still not too easy to do a clean recording.

A few speeds, so you you can see my struggle at higher speeds... biggrin.gif

Cheers,
Claudio

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Jan 29 2021, 06:48 PM
Learning Roadie

Hi Sarge,

was easier than I thought to switch position, thanks againg for the good tips. Control has increased a lot and it is only the second day I hold the guitar this way (and focus on pick angle).

please see below a couple of speeds, i fell I'll be able to bump up speed a bit more with this adjustments going forwad.

thanks again

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 27 2021, 11:47 PM) *
I appreciate your hard work Soldier. I think I see the issue. Did you watch my vid for this one? I"m keeping the pick at a forward angle (as I always do) and only barely striking the string with the very tip of my sharpened pick. This reduces recovery time for the left hand and increases speed. Also, I notice you are not sitting in classical position, but are sitting "side saddle". Try placing the guitar in between your legs This changes the entire angle of the hands and makes things easier to play. Thats why classical guitar players sit that way. I realize this is a huge change in the way you are playing, but isolating these types of things is why I have Soldiers play a standardized set of Missions. So I can know what to look for. Try to make these changes and see if you find them useful.

Sarge

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 30 2021, 03:12 AM
Great to see the changes are working!!! Super congrats!! Progress!!!!! I can see things are starting to come together here. It looks like your pick slant is improved but is still addressing the string a bit flat. In the vid I referenced, he calls it "pick edging" which is what I typically call "pick slanting". It' s just a slightly different use of vocabulary. Take a look again at what he calls pick edging. Starting at 2:24. Notice the angle he is holding his pick at, and notice how only the very tip of the pick is sticking out from his grip. Only the pointy tip should address the string. Getting this right will open up a new world in your playing. Here is a screen shot and the link. Take a look at this and try this lesson one more time using more of an angle per the image and choke up to the very tip of the pick. Spend a little time with this and see how it feels!

Close up of a good pick angle to try
Attached Image

this is a screen grab from your take. Notice it's not quite as far forward an angle?
Attached Image

https://youtu.be/jBLka76n9q0

QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Jan 29 2021, 01:48 PM) *
Hi Sarge,

was easier than I thought to switch position, thanks againg for the good tips. Control has increased a lot and it is only the second day I hold the guitar this way (and focus on pick angle).

please see below a couple of speeds, i fell I'll be able to bump up speed a bit more with this adjustments going forwad.

thanks again

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 30 2021, 03:14 AM

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Jan 31 2021, 07:57 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Sarge,

find below, working on this picking angle, when i looked at it feels a like a better angle now. In this take i was going probably a little fast for my hands (90bpm on 16/16). what do you think?

cheers

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 1 2021, 04:29 AM
The angle hear is MUCH better!! Also great to see you sitting in classical position. It has adjusted the angle of the guitar and is promoting a much better situation for your hands and for your playing. I can see a great deal of improvement here. It's awesome that you are adapting to this and I think it's going to continue to help a great deal in terms of your playing. One thing that you may need to adjust is your muting. I notice in this vid that you are using very little gain/distortion. This is an issue in that I can't tell how effective your muting is. You are making great progress here and I'd like you to do this one more time with a good bit more gain/distortion and make sure to use the bridge pickup as you are doing here, not the neck pickup as in some of the vids. The increase in gain will make any string noise from mute issues more apparent. Keep the angle, keep the position, more distortion for a mute test and you will be ready to PUSH FORWARD!!!!!

Sarge

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Feb 1 2021, 07:42 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

yes muting adjustment was needed, i'm sure you have noticed i now keep the picking hand close, while before was partially open. I assume close picking hand is the best way (should be more efficiant), but I actually never asked you this.

find below a quick one, there was a fair amount of gain before too but in this one is max gain.
(i can hear a tiny bit of noice towards the end)

thanks,
Claudio

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 1 2021, 03:29 AM) *
The angle hear is MUCH better!! Also great to see you sitting in classical position. It has adjusted the angle of the guitar and is promoting a much better situation for your hands and for your playing. I can see a great deal of improvement here. It's awesome that you are adapting to this and I think it's going to continue to help a great deal in terms of your playing. One thing that you may need to adjust is your muting. I notice in this vid that you are using very little gain/distortion. This is an issue in that I can't tell how effective your muting is. You are making great progress here and I'd like you to do this one more time with a good bit more gain/distortion and make sure to use the bridge pickup as you are doing here, not the neck pickup as in some of the vids. The increase in gain will make any string noise from mute issues more apparent. Keep the angle, keep the position, more distortion for a mute test and you will be ready to PUSH FORWARD!!!!!

Sarge

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 11 2021, 05:36 AM
Well Fought Soldier!! Great to see you playing in classical position! Also, your pick hand position on the bridge is better! And your mute is better! Also, your keeping close to the strings and not wagging the pick to much which is great! in short, you've added a wad of improvments to your playing! The results is that your playing has improved a good bit here. You are playing with precision and at a brisk rate of speed. This is what I like to see Soldier!! Keep this up!

This is a great warm up lick Soldier. I play this same lick just about every day when I'm warming up to practice. It's useful in solos, and it's useful for just getting the hands moving before a practice session. Keep this one handy at all times. Throw it in to a solo if possible the next time you joint a collab. Oh yeah! Try to join every collab you can. These are great ways to practice creating a solo and you get some great feedback as well! As for this Mission, you got this!!

You just...

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Feb 1 2021, 02:42 PM) *
Hi,

yes muting adjustment was needed, i'm sure you have noticed i now keep the picking hand close, while before was partially open. I assume close picking hand is the best way (should be more efficiant), but I actually never asked you this.

find below a quick one, there was a fair amount of gain before too but in this one is max gain.
(i can hear a tiny bit of noice towards the end)

thanks,
Claudio

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Feb 17 2021, 09:47 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Sarge,

Quick lesson 9 here. With that high gain tone. Couple of speeds.

Cheers,

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 18 2021, 04:21 AM
Your playing is very good here! Are you volumes on your guitar all the way up? Also is the gain set to max on that lead patch? It's just a small thing, but the more gain the better as it helps me critique what is going on. There is more gain here than the last one, but it's still very slight. That amp has TONS of gain. It should sound like an eye melting tone. I've heard the high gain patches on that amp and they scream. So if you have the gain knob all the way up, and boosted with a tube screamer and your guitar volume all the way up, it should sound scorchingly hot. It still sounds almost like a country tone. I"m just trying to help you find a tone that will best serve you on bootcamp. Not trying to be critical. There are several high gain lead patches on that amp. Just pick one that seems like way to much gain and try that.

As for this mission, you've got very good technique and a solid mute, good picking, hands are synched up, pattern is right, it's everything I want to see. I can tell you have put the work in and it's almost too easy for you! The next few will get a bit harder. For now you just..

LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Oward
Sarge

Here are some examples of "high gain" patches on the katana. Just for reference! Also you can DOWNLOAD THEM FOR FREE!!! In the video description

QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Feb 17 2021, 04:47 PM) *
Hi Sarge,

Quick lesson 9 here. With that high gain tone. Couple of speeds.

Cheers,

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Feb 20 2021, 03:36 AM

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Mar 4 2021, 10:06 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Todd,

Hope all well, quick update from me. This one was a tricky one, you did warn me! Now I’m at the point where I can play it but still needs work. I naturally find myself wanting to speed up parts... now starting to manage that and play with the click.

Anyways I thought I’ll show you a video to get some feedback just to check if I’m on the right track?

Cheers,

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 5 2021, 06:09 AM
This is a tricky one to be sure! You've got the idea down!! That's the drill. taking it and just marching it up the neck. it sounds like you are still searching for a good lead patch on your katana? Did any of the stock lead patches work? Is the volume on your guitar all the way up btw? Nice axe btw!!!! One thing I did notice is that it sounds like your palm mute might be lifting a bit on the G string as I hear a bit of extra ringing sometimes. Give this one a pretty stiff palm mute to make sure that each note doesn't ring after it's struck. Doing well on this so far!!

here is a link to a bunch of free patches to try smile.gif
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M8kjg98kX-...pl8RdH7i5X/view

Sarge

QUOTE (ClaudioStrat @ Mar 4 2021, 05:06 PM) *
Hi Todd,

Hope all well, quick update from me. This one was a tricky one, you did warn me! Now I’m at the point where I can play it but still needs work. I naturally find myself wanting to speed up parts... now starting to manage that and play with the click.

Anyways I thought I’ll show you a video to get some feedback just to check if I’m on the right track?

Cheers,

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 5 2021, 06:13 AM

+Quote Post
ClaudioStrat
Mar 6 2021, 06:23 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi,

Yes was using the stock high gain patch, but probably volume in this was was low, so it might not come up fully.
Yeah the palm muting! will focus on that a bit more, different axe than usual (pretty bight eh...lol) probably need to play it a bit more to get use to the bridge.

Thanks

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 5 2021, 05:09 AM) *
This is a tricky one to be sure! You've got the idea down!! That's the drill. taking it and just marching it up the neck. it sounds like you are still searching for a good lead patch on your katana? Did any of the stock lead patches work? Is the volume on your guitar all the way up btw? Nice axe btw!!!! One thing I did notice is that it sounds like your palm mute might be lifting a bit on the G string as I hear a bit of extra ringing sometimes. Give this one a pretty stiff palm mute to make sure that each note doesn't ring after it's struck. Doing well on this so far!!

here is a link to a bunch of free patches to try smile.gif
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M8kjg98kX-...pl8RdH7i5X/view

Sarge

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:52 PM