2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Practicing/current Brain Research
Bedlam
Nov 6 2007, 08:24 AM
GMC:er
great article fkalich! that's why i never pulled all-nighters in college. sleep is always more important.

now that my hand is in a cast, i'll be practicing mentally for the next 2 months! but i'll make sure to practice correctly mentally wink.gif

side note:
@fkalich - a&m is underrated in bball tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bedlam: Nov 6 2007, 08:25 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Twibeard
Nov 6 2007, 04:04 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Nov 5 2007, 10:20 AM) *
Interesting reading. The author is an a teacher, in the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra, and has degrees both in music and Neuroscience. Discuss?

http://www.newenglandconservatory.edu/stud...chbyGebrian.pdf

So dose this mean that those of us who are old of age but new in guitar-playing really dont have a change at all? Not many neurons moving in my brain i guess laugh.gif as my fingers definately dont connect with my will. sad.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitar: Ibanez RG370DXCE my backup is a Fender Strat.
Amps: Marshall MG and Line6 Spider III 75W combo (preferred)

Recording stuff: Cubase SX3, Logic emagic, Novation ReMote SL, M-Audio Pro
Synth experiance: Roland, MoTu, Native Instrument, Spectrasonics and Steinberg
Main VST's: Kontakt2, FM8, Bass station, Ezdrummer, MoTu EI, Atmosphere, Crystall

+Quote Post
Soul_Decision
Nov 6 2007, 04:27 PM
QUOTE (Twibeard @ Nov 6 2007, 07:04 AM) *
So dose this mean that those of us who are old of age but new in guitar-playing really dont have a change at all? Not many neurons moving in my brain i guess laugh.gif as my fingers definately dont connect with my will. sad.gif

laugh.gif You still got a shot. Not everything that studies says is all true. There are instances that even defy what they tell us. You could be one of them smile.gif

This post has been edited by Soul_Decision: Nov 6 2007, 04:29 PM

--------------------
Push through all barriers.......Never self-limit.........Because there is none

+Quote Post
Twibeard
Nov 7 2007, 12:07 AM
QUOTE (Soul_Decision @ Nov 6 2007, 04:27 PM) *
laugh.gif You still got a shot. Not everything that studies says is all true. There are instances that even defy what they tell us. You could be one of them smile.gif

Could I? huh.gif omfg ... so it's true?? The Matrix is real?? ohmy.gif “The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us, even now in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window, or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you play your guitar, when you go to church, when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled down over your eyes to blind you from the truth, the truth that you are a slave. As long as the Matrix exists, the human race will never be free.” - Morpheus. unsure.gif

This post has been edited by Twibeard: Nov 7 2007, 04:10 AM

--------------------

Guitar: Ibanez RG370DXCE my backup is a Fender Strat.
Amps: Marshall MG and Line6 Spider III 75W combo (preferred)

Recording stuff: Cubase SX3, Logic emagic, Novation ReMote SL, M-Audio Pro
Synth experiance: Roland, MoTu, Native Instrument, Spectrasonics and Steinberg
Main VST's: Kontakt2, FM8, Bass station, Ezdrummer, MoTu EI, Atmosphere, Crystall

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 7 2007, 12:35 AM
QUOTE (Bedlam @ Nov 6 2007, 01:24 AM) *
great article fkalich! that's why i never pulled all-nighters in college. sleep is always more important.

now that my hand is in a cast, i'll be practicing mentally for the next 2 months! but i'll make sure to practice correctly mentally wink.gif

side note:
@fkalich - a&m is underrated in bball tongue.gif

They are pretty well considered by everyone as having a good team this year. I will never forget that shot by Law last year, where you beat us. He was the best go to guy in basketball last year. Even better than Durant in that respect.

People here like A&M fans, also we like Ok State. 80% of our hatred is reserved for Missouri. Maybe 85%.

Too bad about the cast. Try the mental thing. It is hard, you just mentally go through the music, trying to visualize the play, and hearing it in your mind's ear. If you do this, it will be interesting to see what happens when the cast comes off. You might try a totally new song, and learn it this way, and then see if you can play it then.

+Quote Post
Bedlam
Nov 7 2007, 03:00 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Nov 6 2007, 05:35 PM) *
They are pretty well considered by everyone as having a good team this year. I will never forget that shot by Law last year, where you beat us. He was the best go to guy in basketball last year. Even better than Durant in that respect.

People here like A&M fans, also we like Ok State. 80% of our hatred is reserved for Missouri. Maybe 85%.

Too bad about the cast. Try the mental thing. It is hard, you just mentally go through the music, trying to visualize the play, and hearing it in your mind's ear. If you do this, it will be interesting to see what happens when the cast comes off. You might try a totally new song, and learn it this way, and then see if you can play it then.

Yeah, i'm going to be working on the mental aspect for a while. when i get the cast off it's going to take a while for my fingers to get loose and strong again, so it'll be interesting. This is just the article i needed at this time.

also, we're at missouri this weekend sad.gif

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 7 2007, 03:08 AM
QUOTE (Bedlam @ Nov 6 2007, 08:00 PM) *
also, we're at missouri this weekend sad.gif

please, make my dreams come true. the joy I would feel, were you to whoop their sorry tigger *****.

+Quote Post
Soul_Decision
Nov 7 2007, 03:21 AM
QUOTE (Twibeard @ Nov 6 2007, 03:07 PM) *
Cound I? huh.gif omfg ... so it's true?? The Matrix is real?? ohmy.gif “The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us, even now in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window, or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you play your guitar, when you go to church, when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled down over your eyes to blind you from the truth, the truth that you are a slave. As long as the Matrix exists, the human race will never be free.” - Morpheus. unsure.gif

laugh.gif Awesome smile.gif

--------------------
Push through all barriers.......Never self-limit.........Because there is none

+Quote Post
dimeisgod
Nov 7 2007, 03:35 PM
wow... thanks a lot for that..

this will make practicing a lot more time efficient, i mean even on the way home from school you can start the mental practice.. the thing about sleep doesn't really change anything. i mean did you not sleep before reading this? will you sleep more..?

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 31 2008, 06:51 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Thanks for sharing smile.gif

I'll read through this after work today..

+Quote Post
SinoMan
Mar 31 2008, 01:18 PM
Thank you very much for sharing this, truly useful(I hope).

--------------------
I got a completely new $600 bass for $300. What a deal!

+Quote Post
SinoMan
Mar 31 2008, 01:21 PM
QUOTE (dimeisgod @ Nov 7 2007, 04:35 PM) *
wow... thanks a lot for that..

this will make practicing a lot more time efficient, i mean even on the way home from school you can start the mental practice.. the thing about sleep doesn't really change anything. i mean did you not sleep before reading this? will you sleep more..?

Yes I will sleep more now. Seriously.

--------------------
I got a completely new $600 bass for $300. What a deal!

+Quote Post
Oxac
Nov 18 2008, 07:57 PM
Me too, I'm going to move from an average of 4 hours a day (on weekdays) to 9

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Nov 18 2008, 08:59 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Great read! Thanks! smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 18 2008, 11:19 PM
Instructor
This research is very interesting. I have learned a lot in the past about guitar practice when reading these kind of books and publications. Thanks for sharing smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 18 2008, 11:36 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Nov 18 2008, 05:19 PM) *
This research is very interesting. I have learned a lot in the past about guitar practice when reading these kind of books and publications. Thanks for sharing smile.gif

wow. you dug for this one. or came to it by chance I guess.

the major thing I got out of that, is when I am learning a difficult passage/fingering, to try to keep a visualization of it as I go. I have to concentrate. To see the fretted notes in my head in the right places on the neck. It might be 20 notes or whatever, and to see them all in my head on the fretboard as I go. Or more it is visualizing the next note group or 3 or 4 notes right before I play it. At fast speed this requires me to keep my brain focused, but if I focus I can visualize the entire passage, each note group right before I come to it. That seems to ingrain it as described in the article, it is consistent with what she wrote. And then I seem to be able to play it, without having to visualize it anymore. Or at play it a lot better, in what Marcus L and others call "muscle memory". It is kind of hard, kind of like doing an exercise, but it works well for me. And fortunately, once it gets into memory, you don't have to force the visualization anymore, it is automatic.

I am sure you have thought of things like this in the past, or pretty close, but it is nice to read about it from another slant, as you say.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Nov 19 2008, 12:41 AM
Instructor
I have applied and still apply visualizing and memorizing process for more then 5 years I would say.
This stuff definitely works and was something that helped me the most to learn anything new and challenging as well as to improvise and write original material.

Good luck guys

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paul Coutts
Nov 20 2008, 05:20 PM
I love psychology. All of this could probably be enhance even more when you start meditating about certain things as opposed to just thinking about it. Thinking has a lot of distractions, but being submerged in the though through meditative techniques ought to amplify the results.

--------------------
Gear - Ibanez RG350EX, Ibanez RG220DX, ESP LTD MH250, Line 6 PODx3, Laney TF100, Ibanez SM7, Ibanez RG ?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:17 AM