2 Pages V  < 1 2  
9-42 Gauge On Les Paul?
fkalich
Nov 20 2007, 01:37 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (MickeM @ Nov 19 2007, 04:43 PM) *
ROFL sorry to hear you broke your lawnmover that wasn't the fun part laugh.gif

All put so well biggrin.gif

It IS easier to do guitar setup than cut the grass. I also lost a lawn mower last year also, left it out in the rain, and then hit a tree root, all things considered, repair cost exceeded replacement cost. Also you can put your eye out, and if you don't wear a face mask may cough for 2 days. Also can slice your foot off. What I said was not incorrect. All you can screw up on a guitar is the truss rod. You can screw up a lot more with a lawn mower or chain saw. I would trust a 6 year old setting up a guitar. I doubt you would trust your 6 year old with a lawn mower or chain saw.

QUOTE (Kizaze44 @ Nov 19 2007, 05:34 PM) *
Thanks for the advice, all. It's cool if it seems like a dumb question! I don't mind asking - because I trust you GMC'ers more than the "experts" in my guitar shop. I know you would not steer me in the wrong direction! After I try the 9's, maybe I'll report back with the results.

Regards,

Kiz

you may want to adjust your truss rod. only place you can damage anything in setup. just read up on it on internet, in several places. do a search on

truss rod adjustment

it should turn smoothly. don't force it. if in doubt, let someone else do it. but if it turns smoothly, without having to force it, you are fine. you can tell when a bolt reaches max tightening, it feels like you are more stretching the metal, rather than a smooth turn. if in doubt, don't over tighten a bolt. you can always tighten it more. can't loosen up one that you have snapped.

if you depress a string at the 1st fret, and also at the 17th fret, and measure the widest distance between a fret and the bottom of the string, if it is about the width of the high E string, you are OK. But some will set it to less than that, especially shredders.

try this before you change them. tune down one semi tone, like Marcus does. It is nice if you have more than one guitar, but using 46 gauge and tuning down to E-flat is nice. Still has a full sound, but much nicer vibrato. A lot of guys have done this at times. Hendrix, Page, Van Halen, others. I really like it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fkalich: Nov 20 2007, 02:07 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yell03
Nov 20 2007, 05:13 AM
GMC:er
For $25 I'll gladly pay somebody to set my guitar up and adjust the neck.

I am very busy running my businesses and my free time is my free time.

Same reason I pay people to work on my cars, I'll race them, but I don't want to waste my time working on them.

It is not a matter of intelligence, I have a Medical Degree, but I value my free time.

But, I do respect people who like to work on their cars and guitars themeselves, I just choose not to be one of them. cool.gif

Somehow I did get roped in to coaching my son's basketball team, that is gonna put a hurting on my free time. biggrin.gif

Howard

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Electric Guitars
Carvin DC127
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Ibanez Prestige RGA121

Amplifiers
Peavey Triple XXX Head
Genz Benz -flex 2x12 cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:20 AM