2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Bands And Recording, Amp sims or the real thing?
thefireball
Aug 26 2011, 05:13 AM
Learning Roadie
I was wondering, do any professional bands use amp sims or do they all use their real live gear plugged into an awesome interface. It's amazing the quality they get in a mix. I just can't get it in amp sims. Am I being fooled and they really use sims? Or perhaps do they mic their amps?

I listen to Red, Skillet, and Demon Hunter, by the way.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 26 2011, 06:10 AM
Instructor
I don't think that those bands that you listen use simulators... I have checked lots of "in the studio" youtube videos and there are always tube heads when they are recording guitars...

check the first part of this video... I can see some cool cabs behind the sound engineer... I don't think that they wouldn't use them if they have it...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Aug 26 2011, 06:11 AM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 26 2011, 06:14 AM
Instructor
yeah, all the big bands always use real tube amps, why? because they feel much better, and they sound great.
now, i do think you can get a pro quality with simulators, is not about the sound itself, it's about the attitude, a good song, a good band, good playing.

good tone=good fingers, and that's about it.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 26 2011, 07:35 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (thefireball @ Aug 26 2011, 12:13 AM) *
I was wondering, do any professional bands use amp sims or do they all use their real live gear plugged into an awesome interface. It's amazing the quality they get in a mix. I just can't get it in amp sims. Am I being fooled and they really use sims? Or perhaps do they mic their amps?

I listen to Red, Skillet, and Demon Hunter, by the way.

Not suprisingly budget has a lot to do with it. Great amps are not cheap and some bands even rent better amps than they own to record. On the other side, bands are starting to use emulation to save studio time/money. For example Dragon Force uses a ROCKTRON PROPHECY rack module and skips amps completely. This is more and more common.

As for getting good/HEAVY tone from emulation. The secret is in the signal chain. I had the same issue until I added a rack mount active direct box (with 20db of gain) before my guitar cable goes to my interface. It made all the difference with Guitar Rig here is an example. All emulation.

http://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/lesson63-backing

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 26 2011, 07:36 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 26 2011, 09:59 AM
Instructor
I believe they use real heads and more importantly - miced cabs. If you are already using professional studio to record something good and rich in sound and range, why not using a real stuff for the best result?

But, yes, as Adrian said, it has a lot to do with the song as well. Good songs don't need super production, they are just good.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Aug 26 2011, 10:00 AM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Aug 26 2011, 11:17 AM
Instructor
To use an amp is always better imo. But emulation has gone very far with the latest technology, I'm impressed with the clips from the Axe FX

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 26 2011, 12:00 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I think that there are a number of possible issues here.

First, don't assume that every artist always uses and will only use the eqpuipment they endorse or demonstrate.
Second, what you hear on CD etc is likely to have been recorded, mixed and mastered professionally. It's very unlikely to be the amp - real or sim - all by itself with no additional treatment/processing/production.

IME most bands will record with real amps as others have already stated. In much the same way many at the pro end also prefer the recording, mixing and mastering to be done using hardware rather than software. Rightly or not many still believe that whilst emulation has improved that it still does not match the hardware.

Nonetheless amp sims are still used particulaly as they lend themselves really well to re-amping as Todd says and because they also give you access to a wide range of virtual amps, speakers and mics.

Regardless of what you use though you still have to invest time in to finding a decent basic sound that can be adapted as the room acoustics requires...

Also Adrian says a good song is still a good song even with poor production.

A bad song is still a bad song even if it has wonderful production.

A good song and great production though is what it's all about smile.gif)

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
thefireball
Aug 29 2011, 03:40 AM
Learning Roadie
Awesome replies y'all. Thanks. smile.gif I was laughing at the guys at Dragonforce. Hahaha. I would love to take a sneak peek at my favorite bands re-recording until they get it right. It's amazing how many takes you might go through...just like me. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 29 2011, 04:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 26 2011, 01:35 AM) *
Not suprisingly budget has a lot to do with it. Great amps are not cheap and some bands even rent better amps than they own to record. On the other side, bands are starting to use emulation to save studio time/money. For example Dragon Force uses a ROCKTRON PROPHECY rack module and skips amps completely. This is more and more common.

As for getting good/HEAVY tone from emulation. The secret is in the signal chain. I had the same issue until I added a rack mount active direct box (with 20db of gain) before my guitar cable goes to my interface. It made all the difference with Guitar Rig here is an example. All emulation.

This guys are funny biggrin.gif, home studios are rocking these days.

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 29 2011, 07:03 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 26 2011, 03:35 AM) *

Cool video! I like Dragonforce. and yeah, nowadays it's easier to get a professional sound in your bedroom... it's awesome.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Aug 29 2011, 10:26 PM
Instructor
I also think that the analogy is dominant in musical studies.Home recording can simplify and speed up the process, but in the end it still has to pass through the studio equipment to get a professional tone!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 29 2011, 10:59 PM
Instructor
Someone here on the forum has once said something very very nice, which stayed in my mind for a looong time:

'Why do all the digital devices famous emulate real amps? Because they sound awesome!' So who would want to emulate when with a little effort you could have the real deal. Of course, you need folks who know how to get the best out of those monsters, and then again, there are A LOT of awesome bands out there who use software like Guitar Rig 4, Revalver MK3, Vandal and all that, to make a guitar sound which is very close to the real deal smile.gif the truth is out there wink.gif but I go with the tubes biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 30 2011, 04:58 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 26 2011, 07:00 AM) *

First, don't assume that every artist always uses and will only use the eqpuipment they endorse or demonstrate.
Second, what you hear on CD etc is likely to have been recorded, mixed and mastered professionally. It's very unlikely to be the amp - real or sim - all by itself with no additional treatment/processing/production.

IME most bands will record with real amps as others have already stated. In much the same way many at the pro end also prefer the recording, mixing and mastering to be done using hardware rather than software. Rightly or not many still believe that whilst emulation has improved that it still does not match the hardware.

Nonetheless amp sims are still used particulaly as they lend themselves really well to re-amping as Todd says and because they also give you access to a wide range of virtual amps, speakers and mics.

Regardless of what you use though you still have to invest time in to finding a decent basic sound that can be adapted as the room acoustics requires...

A great post per usual that pretty much covers the gambit. Well said!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 30 2011, 06:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 26 2011, 08:00 AM) *

Wise words!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 30 2011, 07:39 AM
Instructor
+1

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 26 2011, 11:00 AM) *

+Quote Post
thefireball
Aug 30 2011, 09:56 PM
Learning Roadie
Yeah, I can definitely tell a difference when I play through a real amp. But my budget won't let me buy one. sad.gif
So I just go with POD Farm for now. biggrin.gif

I'm talking like the real big amps. The Real Deal.

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Aug 31 2011, 05:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (thefireball @ Aug 30 2011, 03:56 PM) *
Yeah, I can definitely tell a difference when I play through a real amp. But my budget won't let me buy one. sad.gif
So I just go with POD Farm for now. biggrin.gif

I'm talking like the real big amps. The Real Deal.

Same here dude... same here biggrin.gif

--------------------

-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Sep 1 2011, 02:00 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Some of my favorite sounds were created by sims actually, they have come very far. I cant remember which one this is, but Sebastien used all sims/ emulators for this one, no amps.

LOVE that sound. Although, It doesnt come cheap (much like real amps)

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 1 2011, 10:53 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I've heard about bands using Amp Simulators or Cabinet Simulators in the studio and still sound great.
However, they usually run their instruments through expensive and great mic/line/instrument preamps
from Universal Audio, API, Manley or Chandler etc. to make it sound as good as it gets.
That can sound awesome, but you wont get that sound directly into your soundcard (without any good outboard processing) unfortunatlely sad.gif

This post has been edited by audiopaal: Sep 1 2011, 10:57 AM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 1 2011, 11:41 AM
Instructor
Yeah Paal is right. People usually talk about simulators as a "cheaper" option. Sims can be very expensive, when you calculate the whole signal chain. For that much money, you can easily buy two mini tube heads and 2 SM57s, and have fun all day long.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:27 AM